Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:20 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkdoc View Post
I want to lose flab and gain muscled definition. I am 6'1 and about 200 lbs. I look skinny (when clothed) but I have a beer gut and massive love handles.

I haven't been exercising at all, other than walking to the metro and around the city, so I jumped right into this.
1- In order to have muscle definition you have to build up muscle: since you haven't been exercising you may end up disappointed with what you'll see once the fat melts away.

2- You are in the enviable position of being a n00b, so you can actually see some muscle gains while cutting fat... which is awesome. Make sure you stick with a good workout schedule in order to maximize your muscle potential.

What you wrote in the first post, that you do loads of aerobic and cardio exercise tells me you're building no muscle. Have you ever worked out and built up a muscle base which you are now trying to expose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 04:18 PM

229 posts, read 1,180,291 times
^

Not at all. I am lifting weights right now along with the cardio that I do. I do it about 3 times a week. My arms are really small and weak, I usually only do the exercises with 10 lb weights.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:02 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,128,114 times
Quote:
^

Not at all. I am lifting weights right now along with the cardio that I do. I do it about 3 times a week. My arms are really small and weak, I usually only do the exercises with 10 lb weights.
Make sure you get enough vitamin D (2000 IU is good) and calcium for your bones.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:51 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,969,414 times
Quote:
^

Do you go to a gym? If you don't, can you get to one? I was a curl jockey once also- biggest waste of time I ever committed. I advise you to learn from my mistakes. If your arms are small and weak, start doing heavy back and chest work. Don't forget to train your legs also (running != leg training).

Old 06-19-2008, 08:01 PM

^

Hi Mike! I use Bow Flex free weights in my home. I do a variety of exercises ranging from back, chest, arms, and even legs. After I work out each section of my body, (not all sections everyday of course) I can feel the pain from working them out.

My worst habit is my diet. I am a college student so I eat a lot of junk foods.

Does anyone have any advice about what to eat?

Also, should I be taking any supplements? I see Brian recommended vitamin D. Anything else?

Old 06-19-2008, 08:27 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Do you go to a gym? If you don't, can you get to one? I was a curl jockey once also- biggest waste of time I ever committed. I advise you to learn from my mistakes. If your arms are small and weak, start doing heavy back and chest work. Don't forget to train your legs also (running != leg training).

Yeah, what Mike said.

If you don't have any muscle, you won't have anything to "tone up". It takes food (protein...and other stuff) to build muscle. You're also going to need to lift heavier weights in order to build muscle and do compound exercises. Building muscle takes a lot of energy, so eating right and lifting weights could help you in both departments. If you're simply trying to lose weight and muscle isn't that important to you, you're doing alright.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:36 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
I am in college also and do not indulge in any junk type foods, matter of fact I hate them and won't touch them if for anything, the taste.

What to eat? Salads, fruits, some sort of protein/calorie supplement IF YOU ARE HITTING IT HARD! I eat chicken and fish only, but just because I don't like the taste of beef and pork. I eat little all throughout the day but my schedule allows me to do that.

Chips, cola, cookies, blah, won't touch.

Curls are good when you are using it part of your routine, I wouldn't soley use them in expectations of becoming more muscular.

What routine are you using? I hope you are not hitting the weights everyday.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:12 PM

I use the weights 3 days a week for about 30 minutes a day.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:15 PM

I've heard "You have to eat big to get big." Is this true? As I'm trying to lose the flab I try not to eat a lot.

My body hasn't been feeling so well today. I think I'm doing too much cardio and not eating enough.

Today I had Fruit Loops with 1% milk, roasted turkey and cheddar from Quiznos with Doritos and water, and tonight I had steamed vegetables.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
My opinion only, but breakfast should be your biggest meal.

My problem is I am never hungry in the morning, so i have soemthing small and an hour or 2 later I have a huge meal, my only big meal of the day.

Yes, you have to eat big ot get big. It is easier explaining by talking than typing but I will give it a go, muscle burns energy, so the more muscle you pile on, the more energy you will burn, but to get muscle, you need energy to create it.

Your fat will come off, plus there is the cycling thing. People that lift do not indulge all year, they go incycles where they will eat big, then trim down. Those are for the serious types or for those trying to get to certain goals.

I have reached my goal (almost actually) and I am really just maintaining, I can really eat what I want and be fine because I know I will just burn off the calories but my metabolism (which is naturally high anyway) and by exercising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness