Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 12:05 AM

39 posts, read 64,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Ok folks, this thread is a place where you can drop in and post about your fitness achievements, big or small. Feel free to post about dropping a couple dress sizes, losing a few pounds, setting a new personal bench record, finally being able to run a couple miles without stopping, finally being able to see your feet, running in a 5k, winning Mr. Olympia, etc, etc or you just need me to recommend a good vet because you got some SICK PYTHONS, post it here. Before and after pics are cool too. I figure this might be an interesting way to encourage one another and see how everyone is doing from time to time. I also encourage folks to check out the daily fitness journal subforum if they would like to track their progress on a day to day (give or take) basis, there's some nice ladies over there.
I'm feeling very proud of my current success with regards to muscle accumulation in my arms. Everybody do curls everyday!, you will feel so much better after just a few months.

Sorry for the commercial sounding comments OP. Good day to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM

3,523 posts, read 3,728,884 times
Default P90X & Running

I plan to get stacked and have started the P90X program. This is my second time going through the 90-day program. The first time I tried it was a few years ago but I stopped after about 60 days.

I did pretty well the last time I did the program and my abs started showing up by the second month, so I know how things should go this time. As of now, I have just completed the first three weeks and am on the rest week. I will up the intensity and stick to the meal plan. I'm also adding a new challenge in addition to this on the days where I want to replace the yoga workout: on those days, I want to run five miles and maybe add some additional cardio if I feel I need it. My first test of five miles turned in a 49 minute and 44 second time with an average of 9.88 minutes per mile. Definitely room for improvement for my 5-mile run time. As I get stronger and increase my endurance, the goal is to continually beat the previous run time.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:39 PM

840 posts, read 1,146,598 times
I dig running up and down my stairs like a nutcase for an hour without getting tired. Need to get back into the groove. CAUSE I AM THE STAIRMISTRESS!

Old 06-27-2013, 07:47 PM

Getting pretty good development of pecs, shoulders and arms; things are starting to tone up. I have been leaving the 6 pack of soda at the store, yet ab development is still going to take some time. Still eating clean with no cheat meals. Staying on track and I just finished a mile run in 7 minutes and 6 seconds. I will try to get into the six-minute range as my new goal.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,448,612 times
I hate exercising for the most part but do like riding my bike. Now that I have one that fits me properly, I've started bike commuting-just over 5 miles each way.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 AM

Last post in this thread was on 7-3-2013. What is this, the City-Data Fitness (Lack of) Progress Thread? No one is making any progress? That couch too comfy?

Anyway, I have finished two months of P90X. Chest, shoulders and arms look good. The skin around my belly has tightened but abs aren't quite there yet, but from most of what I've seen of people's results on this thing, and my experience last time, the magic starts to happen on month three. I switch over to the third month's meal plan, so that one is new to me because last time I didn't finish the program and never tried this diet. I would say overall I've been too reliant on the diet to do the ab work and have under-trained my abs. That will change as I plan to destroy my abs and finish the last month strong. Legs are lacking because it's harder to train legs on this type of home exercise program. You work legs but you don't really shred them as opposed to the arms and chest workouts. I would need the heavy duty machines at gyms to make any progress on legs (I will worry about legs later).

I'm already thinking about a bulk-up process after this and adding more complex movements such as dead lifts and squats. However, for that I would either need to buy equipment (squat rack, heavier weights, etc.) or get a gym membership and that type of thing. I've never tried a bulk-up before and I hate having to eat that much food, but it will be a fun experiment/challenge.

- Progressing.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Broke the 6's today with a 1-mile run time of 6:55. My last best was 7:06. Going to try and beat 6:40 as my new benchmark.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:27 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,207,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budgetlord View Post
Broke the 6's today with a 1-mile run time of 6:55. My last best was 7:06. Going to try and beat 6:40 as my new benchmark.
good for you!

my best high school time for a mile was 7:36(senior year, almost died after that run lol). freshman year, i did a mile in 10:30.(awful right?) on tuesday, i did a mile in 6:18.(wasnt even out of breath, kept going for 5 more miles)

you'll get there.

i am planning to do my first 5K on august 8th. i think i am ready. i got some good running shoes and i think i am ready to rock this 5K

Old 07-28-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
good for you!

my best high school time for a mile was 7:36(senior year, almost died after that run lol). freshman year, i did a mile in 10:30.(awful right?) on tuesday, i did a mile in 6:18.(wasnt even out of breath, kept going for 5 more miles)

you'll get there.
The only awful thing would be not starting.

Quote:
i am planning to do my first 5K on august 8th. i think i am ready. i got some good running shoes and i think i am ready to rock this 5K
Yeah, I think what helped me was that I just came off a rest week and the fact that I kept pushing when my mind said to slow down/stop. Also, I usually walk/jog/run for the opening mile to warm up, but this time I did the intense mile right out of the gate. Wasn't really expecting to beat my time either. I just ordered a new pair of running shoes that are supposed to reduce shin splints based on some of the user reviews I read. Ready to test them out and see what they can do.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:14 PM

OK, I said in my last post that 6:40 was my new goal/benchmark for a 1-mile run. Thursday is my main running day of the week where I do five miles. On other days I might do one to three miles, depends, although this year's weather has been largely uncooperative, and my cardio has been lacking. I woke up today and didn't feel like working out. When this happens, I have stayed good at telling myself to not skip a day whenever I'm thinking that. I think that turned out well, as today was a record day.

Here are the numbers I put up:

Total run = 5 miles

First mile (one mile): 6:15!!!

Total run time: 00:42:56

Avg per mile: 9.112 per mile

Like last time, I have learned to do the most intense mile first, instead of doing a warm-up of 0.5 miles to a mile, and so on. Then I keep pushing when my brains says to stop, and I don't stop until I see that mile marker. I think 6:15 is pretty good and I'll be more modest this time and say that any time better than that is a good goal. Also, I pick the most motivational song I can find and turn it up real loud in order to drown out my mind from focusing on any leg fatigue.

Find Yourself w/lyrics- John O'Callaghan (ft. Sarah Howell) - YouTube

I have the long version of this song which is 7:06 long, and that's motivating too because I know if I don't beat the time of the song, I'm doggin' it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness