Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:46 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,160,757 times

Advertisements

there's a difference between looking and being obnoxious about it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:34 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Ewww....this is why I stopped going to the "meat markets"
I don't really consider my gym as a meat market. Sure, all of them have some people who are into that, but it's no "Bally's".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Ah, that is different, they're advertising.
I don't mind the advertisement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Sounds like my father in law Although the guy probably has never had a membership at a gym in his life, his lifetime of ballroom and ethnic dancing has given him a great body for his age (50ish). When the in-laws visit, I take him with me to the gym and he flirts with the women and they go crazy over him. He really doesnt even speak English (speaks Russian, Romanian, French, but because of his body and his Tony Curtis/Sean Connery looks women like him.

He embarrasses me but the women there always say "When is your dad coming back?" or "I love your dad" or "Tell your dad I said hello".
LOL, your FIL sounds like a trip.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:40 PM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep-blue-water View Post
people who drop weights are pretty annoying , as the guys who bang the weights together, they think it looks cool but to me it just shows they can't control the weights

there are also people set their towel, phone, water etc on machines they are not actually using, its pain asking them to move their stuff

the same is true with people who feel they have to sit on machines or benches, and chat. Its a freaking gym stand up or work out, but don't just block others from using things.
I hear you, you hit the nail on the head. I workout and try to leave before these two friends walk in and start talking instead of working out. I know more about their sex lives then I or any of the only gym member wish to know. YIKE .

Old 08-03-2008, 08:52 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
people at the gym are always nice

Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,812,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
I don't mind the advertisement.
Isn't that called a "win-win situation?"

Old 08-04-2008, 01:44 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
I hear you, you hit the nail on the head. I workout and try to leave before these two friends walk in and start talking instead of working out. I know more about their sex lives then I or any of the only gym member wish to know. YIKE .
This happens at my gym... I go to an all womens gym and a lot of members come in with a buddy... well they think that they need to scream to one another over the treadmill noise... but we all are hearing about their date last night or the problems they are having with their husband and that they might want a divorce... it is really annoying.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:19 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Isn't that called a "win-win situation?"
It sure does. And it helps keep the heart racing and blood pumping.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:10 PM

29 posts, read 112,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
You know whats funny? I just realized that very few people I meet at the gym are in a relationship. Most of the women all say they are single or trying to get back into shape after divorce/breakup with their former S.O. Its kinda weird. Its rare that I meet a married woman at the gym and I wonder why that is.
First, because married women are busier than single women! They have a husband and kids to clean-up after and feed, and most still work full time along with their "wifely duties".
Second, because you wouldn't be talking to the happily married ladies at your gym. Those aren't the women that are going to approach you. They are the ones that are going to get in and get out without dawdling, and aren't going to want to have meaningless conversations with random guys at the gym. I know when I go to the gym that is MY time. I get to think my own thoughts without interruption and it's wonderful!

The things I don't like about my gym - when people spit in the drinking fountains, and when they close the only female restroom for cleaning. Invariably that is when I have to go. Nothing else really bothers me. I laugh at the chick who come in with a face full of make-up, I roll my eyes at the guys grunting on the free weights, I ask people who are sitting on weights that I want to use if I can rotate in, I clean equipment before and after I use it (just to be sure), and I put away the weights that get left out. No stress.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM

13,003 posts, read 1,019,366 times
Snowflake, Amen, you hit the nail on the head. I agree with everything you said. The only difference is that I am lucky enough to have my son or husband go with me (and push me). I do feel like I should be walking through the gym with Clorox wipes LOL. You have a great day Snowflake .

Old 08-10-2008, 09:14 PM

29 posts, read 112,675 times
;o )

I have often asked my husband to go with me, but he prefers his workouts to be outdoor (running, biking, calistenic, mowing the gigantic hill in our backyard). After all of these years though, I am very happy with my gym alone time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness