U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-13-2008, 03:59 PM

4,012 posts, read 4,945,224 times
Smile Flabby stomach - help

I admit it, not the best eater. I was thin by all standards until I got pregnant almost 25 years ago (yikes). I lost 75% of that weight but since I had a C-section, found the stomach weight hard to get rid of. Then I got pregnant again, lost the baby at 5 months, lost weight mostly, then got pregnant again but always had the flabby tummy. (Another C-section, BTW).

I am in my late 40's and I don't want to have a gut! I am working out - got back into it (feels great) and really trying to stick to Weight Watchers.

I am stuck at 153 (was 145 a few months ago) and need to get to 130-135. Before kids, I was 110-120. Small boned, 5'5"/

Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:18 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,859,814 times
What does your daily feeding look like? What does your exercise look like? Let's see some details and we'll be able to better help you!

Old 07-13-2008, 05:29 PM

2,486 posts, read 5,994,333 times
Eat anything but reduce portions to fist-sized for the entire meal. You'll be down to 110 in no time.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:52 PM

2,651 posts, read 7,107,277 times
Me too.

Over 50, had 2 kids. The body looked good, never gained weight, but I have the flabby tummy.

I don't care what kind of exercise you do, peri/menopause changes your body formation. Stretched uterine muscles lose elasticity with diminished estrogen. The whole area gets poochy and you can do 1,000 crunches a day and it will never be a flat tummy again.

Just life. I think the only real way to fix it is a tummy tuck. There is a discussion on it in fashion and beauty.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:37 PM

147 posts, read 241,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I admit it, not the best eater. I was thin by all standards until I got pregnant almost 25 years ago (yikes). I lost 75% of that weight but since I had a C-section, found the stomach weight hard to get rid of. Then I got pregnant again, lost the baby at 5 months, lost weight mostly, then got pregnant again but always had the flabby tummy. (Another C-section, BTW).

I am in my late 40's and I don't want to have a gut! I am working out - got back into it (feels great) and really trying to stick to Weight Watchers.

I am stuck at 153 (was 145 a few months ago) and need to get to 130-135. Before kids, I was 110-120. Small boned, 5'5"/

Any suggestions?
I can totally relate. Granted, I am male, and have only stood on the sides-lines in the delivery room. When I was a teenager, and well into my 20's, I had a great body. Not only was my metabolism fast, I worked out too. But as the job, kids, a mortgage, etc...life happened, I could feel the flab coming on. I am 5' 11'' and although built lean, I have broad shoulders. At my heaviest I was almost 220 lbs!, though you would never believe it. All of my weight settled right into my lower abs, so as long as I didn't have my shirt tucked in, it looked like I weighed thirty lbs lighter. After a minor surgery, a few years ago, I realized that I needed too follow my wives example and get back into shape. I decided that get into the Tae-Bo stuff, although I felt slighty odd about doing it. I now love it, and every night I do the AMPED Full Throttle, and then the "Rock'n Abs" workout following. In about a week my mid section was trimmed, and you could see definition all throughout my body. I have a sweet tooth like you can't imagine, but with this routine I don't have to diet, and it has really cut down the gut. I'm now at 165 with muscle! It is intense at first, but once you get into it, I found that it is hard to stop. Just a suggestion that worked for me!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:57 PM

938 posts, read 2,249,311 times
It can be hard. While I'm a 24 and a male, I was overweight as a kid and didn't really lose it until I was nearly 22. I still have some belly fat and its very hard to get rid of, I lost most of it at one time, but I was really too skinny (6' tall and 146 pounds!). Even then I had some extra skin left over, so although I had very little body fat, I still had some rolls of skin there. I'm up to 167 pounds now and much more muscular and have just decided to live with it. I feel great and I'm happy with the shape I'm in, and its not worth the extra effort to get rid of it...plus I felt bad when I was really skinny, I got cold all the time and just didn't feel good! I really think if you were overweight at one time you'll have a hard time getting rid of the extra skin at the very least.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 AM

5,266 posts, read 4,341,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Me too.

Over 50, had 2 kids. The body looked good, never gained weight, but I have the flabby tummy.

I don't care what kind of exercise you do, peri/menopause changes your body formation. Stretched uterine muscles lose elasticity with diminished estrogen. The whole area gets poochy and you can do 1,000 crunches a day and it will never be a flat tummy again.

Just life. I think the only real way to fix it is a tummy tuck. There is a discussion on it in fashion and beauty.
I AGREE!
I had twins *flab tummy*no stretch marks--I call it my kangaroo pouch lol........
MY ob told me all the sit ups in the world won't cut it! Tummy tuck is all you can do!

Old 07-15-2008, 09:19 AM

5,826 posts, read 6,058,471 times
I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but check with your doctor and go with that recommendation.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:10 PM

7,088 posts, read 11,720,683 times
Another thing is to cut out white flour and sugar.

A different way to look at it (holistically) is that we hold on to the traumatic events we've had in our lives in our bellys. Deal with the emotions and the belly will shrink.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:10 PM

2,651 posts, read 7,107,277 times
^^^
What?? Get real

My emotions are in tip-top shape. Kiddo, after you've had a couple of kids and hit menopause, then you come back and show us all how cute your tummy is. That holistic stuff is a crock of hooey sermonized by under-40 fledglings.

I spent many years of my youth steeped in a organic vegetarian community environment. You may find it interesting that I have seen some of those people in the last few years, former alternative living, kefir swilling, yurt living youth from 30 years ago.

The women have fared very poorly. The ones I saw, especially the vegetarians, were mostly working on some serious osteoporosis. Instead of 50 they looked 70. I'm in 10 times better shape than anybody I saw who was still there after these many years.

Absolute utter nonsense.

(BTW all their back-to-the-land kids left and moved back to the city)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness