Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,038,027 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about this "couch to 5K" plan. I am sure I can google it, but can anyone explain it a little better for a newbie like me?

Pros? Cons? You know, the inside scoop and not the sales pitch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:13 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
I started running when I was 38 and I'm 40 now. I run 4 miles a day. But obviously didn't do that instantly, but worked up to it.

It is a big mental game - you have to remember, as others said, how good you feel when done - and how guilty you'll feel if you come up with a dumb excuse not to go.

I can't emphasize enough the importance of the right shoe and going to a real running store to get evaluated, as others have said. It will make a huge difference.

One thing that helps me is the Nike sensor. It motivates me and keeps track of my progress, total runs, calories burned, etc. I can switch up where I run but always know I got my 4 miles in.

Never feel embarrassed - slowly work your way up to running more and more, and before you know it, you'll be a pro. And remember, it takes a while to build a habit, but once you do, and start seeing results, you'll be hooked! Not to say that there aren't days I feel like there is lead in my shoes - but those are the days you feel even better when finished!

Old 07-18-2008, 10:38 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
well let me just jump in here. So, all of you joggers or former joggers say it's hard but once you get used to it etc.. etc...
I have tried a couple of times, I feel the next day like my pelvis is going to fall out LOL Seriously, I have body pain all over after attempting running. I think I'm just not meant to run which is REALLY funny because I was a track star in school.
Oh well, I walk and work out on my elliptical. I don't doubt running would drop the weight faster but you gotta be able to walk the next day.
I'm also buying a bike - like a mountain bike not a road bike. I love riding bike and have tons of places to ride near our house.
For those really looking to drop a lot of weight and fast, do spinning classes. If you can get over the sore tushy then you can make it.
I couldnt get past the sore butt. LOL When I get a bike the seat will be far more comfortable. Spinning classes really work you out though. I did it for the first time after being stationary a long time and I lasted the entire class! I did want to give up but I didnt.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
well let me just jump in here. So, all of you joggers or former joggers say it's hard but once you get used to it etc.. etc...
I have tried a couple of times, I feel the next day like my pelvis is going to fall out LOL Seriously, I have body pain all over after attempting running. I think I'm just not meant to run which is REALLY funny because I was a track star in school.
Is it possible you are trying too much at first? You're right in that you want to be able to function the next day!

I think when I started, I was on the tread mill (I run outside now) and I might have been able to do not even a half mile. I would think, why would anyone do this? It's torture! I would just add the tiniest bit of distance each time.

I have no idea what the pelvis pain would be - my problem was my feet/calves. Both of which were remedied by the right shows believe it or not. Pain gone.

In the end, everyone needs to just do what works for them, what gets them off the couch! My husband can't run due to his knees. But he does ride his bike and sometimes roller blades.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:19 PM

426 posts, read 1,489,817 times
Sending some motivation your way ... You CAN do it!

I was in your shoes 10 wks ago. I seriously huffed and puffed just from walking from our main to upper level.

Ive really let myself go since giving birth to two beautiful children in the last 5 yrs. I not only owe it to myself but to them to be healthy. Im turning 30 this year and I seriously felt much older.

I started by walking on the treadmill for 10 mins/0.5 mile. I gradually increased my speed/time/incline and Im currently running 30 mins/2.5 miles + daily (still mostly on the treadmill but Im building confidence to go out on the road ) I have lost 17 lbs and Im super close to being in the normal BMI range (can you believe I was in the underweight range a mere 8 yrs ago?!). I feel fantastic! I have so much energy and instead of watching my children run around, I can run and play with them.

Lots of luck to you!

Old 07-25-2008, 03:27 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
the first 15 minutes is always rough when you start any new regiment.....just be health smart and keep frequent tabs on your heart rate......as long as your heart rate is in the healthy range then push yourself as hard as you can!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness