Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:07 PM

13 posts, read 52,929 times

Advertisements

Add some chicken, soy and peanut butter to your diet. You may feel like it will make you add, but you will lose if you don't over do it. Your body is at rest, you are not eatting enough for it to want to burn off anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 12:41 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,733,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethatsbroken View Post
Ok I eat salads all day long, I have the normal salad with very light dressing. I dont eat alot of dressing on my salads.. Normal size portions on whatever I add to them. I walk 3 miles a day everyday and then I go home and do more walking on the tredmill.. I am not loosing weight? I dont understand. I dont eat any junk food. No fast food, etc. Nothing like that.. I drink water all day, sometimes I will drink diet drinks.??? I am so ready to give up on all this. I am not taking any diet medicines. I was trying to refrain from that. Im on my last hope? any advise please help
May I ask you if you are a teenager? Also how much weight do you want to loose? Something about the way you wrote your post makes me wonder about anorexia. I may be way off base here.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:00 AM

4,500 posts, read 2,838,326 times
The person who can give you a suitable advice is an expert in nutrition,but I made a diet with a doctor and here is the main contain of this diet:
(1)Small portion of fat like one piece of cheese .
(2)A little bit of carbohidrates( one or two slices of diet toast) and protein like ( grilled chicken ,meat, or fish) is important to
(3)salads, vegetables and low calories fruits are essential
Without eating you won't lose weight but you will be weak.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:33 AM

55 posts, read 124,019 times
Yeah I basically eat salads all day I eat a medium size breakfast I also eat fruits like apples watermelon and canalope with breakfast.. Lunch I will eat a salad with chicken.. I add almonds and onion to my salads.. Im overweight so I dont think that it's anorexia.. I dont feel that I am... Wouldnt I be skinny. But I know nothing about that disorder so I cant say. I drink about 6 bottles of water a day.. I drink a few cups of coffee a day, I dont eat candy bars or nothing like that.. I have been doing this for about 9 months... Im just trying to figure out why Im still the same size I might have lost 5 lbs but thats it in 9 months?

Old 07-23-2008, 03:39 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,137,320 times
My mom was having the same issue....the culprit was actually a combination of a thyroid issue (which you might want to rule out) and not consuming enough calories....based upon your age and current weight there should be a range of calorie intake a day....example.....I am 5'5" and 120ibs....8% body fat....i stay between 1200 and 1400 calories a day to maintain weight. be careful because your body will protect itself against loosing weight but will not protect itself against gaining weight....if you are not consuming enough calories your body will go into "store" mode and begin storing all of your fat instead of burning it.....

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,963,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onethatsbroken View Post
Yeah I basically eat salads all day I eat a medium size breakfast I also eat fruits like apples watermelon and canalope with breakfast.. Lunch I will eat a salad with chicken.. I add almonds and onion to my salads.. Im overweight so I dont think that it's anorexia.. I dont feel that I am... Wouldnt I be skinny. But I know nothing about that disorder so I cant say. I drink about 6 bottles of water a day.. I drink a few cups of coffee a day, I dont eat candy bars or nothing like that.. I have been doing this for about 9 months... Im just trying to figure out why Im still the same size I might have lost 5 lbs but thats it in 9 months?
Because you are severely undernourishing your body and it has no incentive to let go of the fat. In fact, it converts everything possible to fat since it's in a prolonged starvation mode.

How many calories are you consuming daily?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 PM

8 posts, read 30,637 times
Default Rmr

Hey there! Don't get discouraged! I think the replies to your question have been very informative, and I hope they have helped! However, if you have been doing this for 9 months and haven't seen more than 5 pounds drop off, we need to do some analyzing...

Firstly, I think you should definitely rule out any medical conditions that may be impeding your weight-loss goals. It's always an important first step to meet with your physician and make sure you are in a good enough condition to take on any sort of weight-loss plan.

That said, you need to determine your RMR (resting metabolic rate). This just means the energy your body needs to consume in order to function on a day in which you were to hypothetically be sleeping the entire time (little/no energy expended). If you are not giving your body the minimum amount of energy it needs to function, your metabolism will correct itself, and you will burn far less calories than you should when you are active! Put it this way, when your body thinks it is starving, it holds onto and stores all the energy it can because it doesn't know when you are going to feed it again! Check this out: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

After you have determined your RMR, you need to make sure you are meeting this caloric intake on a day-to-day basis. And you want to make sure the calories you consume are nutrient-dense (no whites; stick to brown rice, whole wheat bread, no refined sugar, etc, and LOTS of veggies fruits, and of course lean protien). You almost need to become OCD about your intake (at least in the beginning). There are TONS of websites that can help you determine the nutrients and calories you are consuming based on the foods you are eating. I like the one listed above.

All you need to do now, is get your heart rate up!! It sounds like you already have this down! Five days per week at least 30 mins with your heart rate above 140 beats per minute, and you will see your body transform in a matter of weeks!!!

A healthy weight-loss is considered no more than 3 pounds per week. I think you'll be excited about the info above, because it really is a "no brainer!" You just have to learn about what your body needs, and jump-start your metabolism!

Also, keep in mind that the more lean muscle you have, the more calories you burn both when you are working out and when you are at a resting state... so don't skimp on the weight-training!!! Besides the fact that it is FUN, it helps you burn more calories!!

I really hope this helps!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:04 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,963,200 times
Seriously, have your doctor check your thyroid. I sense serious thyroid underperformance. If you've been undereating this way for many months you can very well have screwed up your thyroid function in a serious way. Get checked.

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM

702 posts, read 2,516,692 times
I agree about seeing a doctor if you really have not lost more than 5 pounds in 9 months. This signals one of two things: a medical/physiological issue or misrepresentation of intake and output.

You have lots of great suggestions here, just rule out any physical health issues that might be affecting your weight loss.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:16 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,859,735 times
Another voice in favor of seeing a doctor, to rule out the possibility of a medical issue. If there's no medical issue, I'd like to add something to the good advice people have provided here: You might want to include some strength training in your workout. Muscle ups the metabolism and burns fat. Maybe a couple of times a week you could replace your second walk of the day, the one on the treadmill, with a few basic weight-training exercises. Also, what is your walking pace? If you're walking two or three miles at a stroll, that's okay for maintaining weight, but may not be enough to lose. Turn that into power walking (fancy name for walking at a brisk pace), mix in some strength training, eat nutrituous foods, and don't starve yourself, and watch yourself get trim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness