Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:41 PM

86 posts, read 190,222 times

Advertisements

I started running a few weeks back to try and lose a couple of pounds. My son had a fever and couldn't go with me for a few days so that put me off track. Anyway, when i started i had no problems. Now that i've tried to start again when i run it hurts. I can walk but if i start to run it hurts. Could it be that i need better running shoes? Right now i'm running in Pumas. BTW i'm about 138, 5ft 2in. I don't know if that information is needed but just in case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 08:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,398,734 times
How old are the shoes? Running shoes must be changed at least 4x a year. I don't know whether Puma makes running shoes. Nevertheless, go get fitted for a new running shoes and see will that change your outcome. Many factors could contribute to your hurt. Are you stretching, correct form, good sneakers and weight. Try to eliminate the factors before seeing a doctor.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 PM

86 posts, read 190,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
How old are the shoes? Running shoes must be changed at least 4x a year. I don't know whether Puma makes running shoes. Nevertheless, go get fitted for a new running shoes and see will that change your outcome. Many factors could contribute to your hurt. Are you stretching, correct form, good sneakers and weight. Try to eliminate the factors before seeing a doctor.
I've had them maybe 2 to 3 years. I don't know whether they are running shoes or not but Puma does make running shoes. I was stretching but this week i didn't. What is the correct form?

Old 07-21-2008, 09:52 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,169 times
What exactly is hurting? A bad pair of shoes will generally give you foot and possibly ankle problems, but not usually problems with your leg muscles (from my experience anyway).

If you are having foot pain and blisters, it is almost certainly a shoe problem. If your shoes are 2 or 3 years old they probably need to be replaced. I'd recommend getting a pair of shoes just to wear for running and nothing else. I really don't think they need to be changed 4x a year unless you are running a lot of miles, a pair typically lasts 300-500 miles before wearing out. I probably have quite a bit over 500 miles on a pair of New Balance shoes, which I've had for 8 or 9 months, but they badly need to be replaced as one of my feet is starting to hurt.

As far as shoes go, your best bet would be to go to a specialty athletic/running shoe store where you will have someone who knows what they are doing help you pick out a pair of shoes. You want the kind of store where the person fitting you with a shoe is a runner themselves or is an experienced shoe salesperson, not someone just there as a job and nothing else. You'll pay more per pair then you would by going to a bargain-basement shoe store but it will be worth it to get the right pair of shoes. You don't need to spend a whole lot of money, you can get a decent pair of shoes for $60.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:33 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,597,908 times
i recently replaced my 4-year old shoes that i wore for running and as regular shoes. the new shoes feel great, so much more support. i did 6 miles yesterday, felt awesome!

obviously everyone will have a personal preference on what brand/model/feel for a shoe

Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times
Better yet - go to a running store where they will put you on a treadmill, have you run while taping it, then go back and evaluate with you your type of running.
This made all the difference in the world for me. When we saw how badly my foot rolled out....I never would have known. I wear shoes to help this and the pain went away.

So everyone is right - if you are serious about running, go to a real running store. After I run, those shoes come off my feet - I don't wear them around for anything else.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:01 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitalemnicka22 View Post
Right now i'm running in Pumas.
Are you sure they are running shoes and not the Pumas that Beatrice Kiddo wore in Kill Bill? The ones with the flat soles? Because I dont think Puma makes running shoes.

Find your local Road Runner Sports store and go in to be fitted for a pair of good running shoes. If theres no Road Runner near you I suggest a good pair of Nike+ or Saucony running shoes which are my favorites.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:10 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolitalemnicka22 View Post
I started running a few weeks back to try and lose a couple of pounds. My son had a fever and couldn't go with me for a few days so that put me off track. Anyway, when i started i had no problems. Now that i've tried to start again when i run it hurts. I can walk but if i start to run it hurts. Could it be that i need better running shoes? Right now i'm running in Pumas. BTW i'm about 138, 5ft 2in. I don't know if that information is needed but just in case.
Pumas are not good running shoes. You need to go to an athletic sporting goods store that sells top of the line running shoes...Why can't you run alone? It's actually more beneficial, than trusting someone to go with you all the time. I run alone always. I get more out of it and I can think clearly too. You don't have to have a running partner, you know, to go for a run...I can run faster when I run alone. You could too, really.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:19 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
I second Nike. I think they make some of the best shoes.

New balance is pretty good too. Sacony _ I WISH THEY MADE THEM NARROW!
I love how they feel all marshmellowy.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:21 AM

519 posts, read 1,696,971 times
Also, I think it's important to note, that you should avoid running on hard surfaces like concrete. See this link about running surfaces (http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2006/07/concrete-vs-asphalt-which-is-the-better-running-surface/ - broken link). Asphalt isn't the best surface either, but if you start out easy, and your bones strengthen, it won't be too bad. Also, if you're running on hard surfaces, it is easier to get shin splints, and you will be in pain. When I had shin splints, I just had to take a few weeks off from running. Also, you need to stretch! I find if I don't stretch after running, my hips get tight and sore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness