U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,698,044 times

Advertisements

Are there any exercises specifically for the lower section of the abdomen.

I have been strengh training and doing cardio for years off and on. I'm considering having a tummy tuck, but I want to make sure that I have explored all of my options first and have done everything I can to reduce the size of my 'pouch' before I undergo surgery. It's a traumatic surgery and recovery is similar to that of the original c-section that caused my situation in the first place and as I recall, it was more pain than I would wish on my worst enemy (if I had any) and recovery lasts up to one year.

My work out routine has been very consistant for the past 2 months and I'm seeing great progress. One trainer, long ago, had suggested I lift my legs on an exercise ball as I do my crunches. Can anyone suggest anything else?

I go to the Y, but they don't offer abdominal classes during the time of day that I go and everything else I've tried only works my upper abs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM

4,589 posts, read 11,751,527 times
I love to do ab lifts.....lay on your back with your hands under you right below your tail bone and lift your legs together about 1/3 of the way up.....do not arch your back. This works your lower abs....and best of all.....you can do it while you watch TV!!! You can also do a simmilar excersize at the gym.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I love to do ab lifts.....lay on your back with your hands under you right below your tail bone and lift your legs together about 1/3 of the way up.....do not arch your back. This works your lower abs....and best of all.....you can do it while you watch TV!!! You can also do a simmilar excersize at the gym.
Sounds like something my Dad's doctor had him do to strengthen his back. I remember trying to do it, but was having a hard time with it. I'm off to the gym right now. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Oh...BTW, do you hold your legs up for a while or is it a quick up and down?

Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM

Huh...never heard of it being used for the back.

You hold your legs at 1/3 of the way up for a 5 count......you will feel it after the first couple lifts.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:37 AM

Thanks, will do.

Yep, for the back, but hands at your side.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:40 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,797,303 times
you can also do a close but different version of that exercise...lay on your back, with both arms stretched out above your head, holding onto someones ankles or something sturdy. then with legs outstretched and together, bring them all the way straight up to a 90 and then back almost to the floor but not all the way..with someone helping you (you grabbing their ankles), they can push your legs back down as you raise them up..just dont let them hit the floor.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM

1,240 posts, read 3,642,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
Are there any exercises specifically for the lower section of the abdomen.

I have been strengh training and doing cardio for years off and on. I'm considering having a tummy tuck, but I want to make sure that I have explored all of my options first and have done everything I can to reduce the size of my 'pouch' before I undergo surgery. It's a traumatic surgery and recovery is similar to that of the original c-section that caused my situation in the first place and as I recall, it was more pain than I would wish on my worst enemy (if I had any) and recovery lasts up to one year.

My work out routine has been very consistant for the past 2 months and I'm seeing great progress. One trainer, long ago, had suggested I lift my legs on an exercise ball as I do my crunches. Can anyone suggest anything else?

I go to the Y, but they don't offer abdominal classes during the time of day that I go and everything else I've tried only works my upper abs.

Any help would be appreciated.
Here's the skinny on fat: you can't spot reduce it. Your body gets to decide from where it will lose fat first or last. The lower ab area (along with thigh fat for women) is often the most difficult area from which to drop it. Doing more ab movements will hardly help. Can you see the rest of your abs? Do you know your body fat percentage? What is your lifting routine?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
Here's the skinny on fat: you can't spot reduce it. Your body gets to decide from where it will lose fat first or last. The lower ab area (along with thigh fat for women) is often the most difficult area from which to drop it. Doing more ab movements will hardly help. Can you see the rest of your abs? Do you know your body fat percentage? What is your lifting routine?
She was asking for last ditch resorts before resorting to surgery......she stated in her post that she has been doing cardio for years and just wanted some things to try out.....relax there killer.....i'm sure she knows, obviously, that the only way to DEVELOP abdominals is to decrease fat levels. Part of giving advice is not just being some broken record but actually hearing what people are asking.....

Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiloMike View Post
I get what you're saying and totally agree. I've tried many things over the past 20 years and I do a combination of weight watchers and 'Body for Life' by Bill Phillips for food and training. I vary on the eat whatever you want for a day method that he believes in and I'm not on a strictly no fat diet, but I do write down as much as I can and use the WW scale.

I don't strictly abide by either, I just use my favorite ideas from both. I do 30 minutes of cardio each day and crunches each day and lift 3 times a week using free weights at the gym alternating legs and arms. At home in the evenings, if I have time, I'll do some lunges and some more crunches or whatever I can think of at the time... no structure like at the gym.

I'm basically looking to dot my i's and cross my t's before a last resort that I find very invasive and know first hand how painful it is.... not to mention expensive.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Huh...never heard of it being used for the back.

You hold your legs at 1/3 of the way up for a 5 count......you will feel it after the first couple lifts.
OK, I just came back. I tried it, feels like it hit the spot... I felt it in my calves too.

Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness