U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2008, 05:27 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,336,750 times
Question Who has a Gazelle and loves it, got results from it..?

Just wondering who out there has a Gazelle and has actually used it long enough to see weight loss results?

I have one I got second hand for free. Haven't used it much as it is always in my son's room. I'm determined to start some kind of exercise though and it is TOO hot here right now, I'm not going outside!

I'm also not going to the mall daily to walk around... I don't like dealing with people in public more than I have to (yeah I am weird) and there are no malls close so it becomes a gas $ issue anyway.

I'd like to use the Gazelle but want to hear from others who have used it. How do you make it challenging? Do you get bored? My son (he's 16) complains that it's "boring" (in his constant attempts at getting me to buy a Bowflex.. um... no!$$$)...

I'm pretty sure whatever we have is the plain jane older version, since someone gave it to me... not sure how different it is from the newer ones.

I just want something to get me started as I've been sedentary for a LONG LONG TIME. I will add to the exercise regime later for toning and such. I just need to get used to moving again and get some endurance since I currently have none. I want to get back into dancing (belly dance) but know that right now I couldn't even make it through a 30 minute class!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:54 PM

1,689 posts, read 1,429,756 times
I don't have a Gazelle but had something a little similar called an Air Walker. It only went back and forth, and if I remember correctly the Gazelle also goes side to side. Is that correct? Anyway, I thought the Air Walker was incredibly boring. You really have to focus to use it correctly so that you get in a decent workout. It's pretty easy to to back and forth on it with very little effort if it's anything like the Air Walker. To put it bluntly, I hated it. I use a Total Gym now and lost 30 pounds in three months two years ago after having five babies.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:19 PM

8,424 posts, read 22,827,733 times
Its something that I would put in front of the tV to use.
My guy had one and used it to death. It was a really old version.
He would just put on his walkman and do an hour a day.
He lost all his weight doing that and a low fat diet. (no calorie counting)

I dont know the poundage loss. He just went from fat to really thin.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM

2,746 posts, read 9,336,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Its something that I would put in front of the tV to use.
My guy had one and used it to death. It was a really old version.
He would just put on his walkman and do an hour a day.
He lost all his weight doing that and a low fat diet. (no calorie counting)

I dont know the poundage loss. He just went from fat to really thin.
Works for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Content_Christian, no, it doesn't go side to side, in fact I think it is very much like the Air Walker you mention.

I think maybe the best bet is to get the Dexter Season 2 DVD's and go at it.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:51 PM

305 posts, read 670,712 times
Default i love the gazelle

I got a gazelle glider freestyle a week ago for $30 from two nice women from craigslist.
At first I thought it was the edge, but got home and realized it was the heavy duty freestyle version.
I have since greased and/or taped most of the joints, and removed the plungers, as they just got in the way of the motion.

I had first read many of the ratings on A mazon and was very impressed with how many people liked the gazelle and also lost weight.
That inspired me to get one and I am very happy that I did!
I was concerned from some of the comments that the glider would be too easy, and it is easy to use but that is not a problem at all.
It is so much fun to use, like being on a swing, that it feels like I'd love to be on it all day!
Every time I go by it I want to get on it and do more.

The benefits that I see, being a long time runner, are that it has a lot of movement, it is easy to use,
there is a full range of movement of the legs, it helps with coordination, it helps me to relax my legs from running,
it helps to relax my achilles, and it is easy physically so I can go for a long time with no effort at all.

I feel the ease is very important for people wanting to lose weight,
as it is the movement that helps to lose weight, and a lower heart rate helps you to move more.
I have had a number of different machines, treadmill, bicycle wind trainer,
c2 rowing machine, elliptical, nordictrack, recumbent cycle, and the gazelle is the ONLY one that I use.
Another advantage is that it doesn't take much space and doesn't use any electricity. Some machines do.

I love the gazelle. I use it before and after my runs. It is my favorite exercise besides running and walking.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,427 times
i have a gazelle and use it bout a half an hour a day and it works ur upper body along with ur lower body. u can bend ur knees for better results if u want to tighten ur thighs and butt.. or pull the handles more towards u for arm strength it does work. do it 5 times a day then give ur self the weekend.. i have lost 10 pounds in 1 week... I LOVE IT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness