Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 04:10 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,056,807 times

Advertisements

How about sharing some good food ideas, for meals that are real food but low-fat/low-cal/healthy? Preferably ones that give the data on fat, calories etc.

WW recipes would be good too. No protein shakes tho...

I'll start off with this site
Recipes: Low fat from Delia Online (http://www.deliaonline.com/search/recipes/browse.html?Pcat=com.othermedia.deliaonline.model. RecipeClassificationCategory-L-50 - broken link)

The Oriental Chicken is wonderful, with a big pile of fresh veggies....
Oriental Chicken from Delia Online

and this looks good too
http://www.lakeaustin.com/health-spa-recipes.php

Last edited by southdown; 08-06-2008 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 04:15 PM

938 posts, read 3,505,260 times
Homemade Chili (I make a pot of this every other week and have dinner for 5 days!)

2 16 oz. cans of Pinto Beans
1 16 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
2 small or 1 large bell pepper
2 small or 1 large yellow onion
1 can whole-kernel corn
1 pound ground turkey or extra lean ground beef
Chilli Powder
Cumin
Garlic Powder

Chop up the onion and add it along with the meat to a skillet, and brown on medium-high heat. Pour the beans (with juice), crushed tomatoes, corn (without juice), and sliced up bell peppers into a large pot. Drain meat/onion mixture of excess fat, and add to pot. Season to taste and stir, then let simmer covered for 2 hours.

I've made it so much I've memorized the recipe, haha. It gives me a lot of energy, it has good amounts of fiber, carbs, protein, and is low fat. I usually add some cheese and brown rice or tortilla chips to it.

1/4 of the pot should be ~500 calories, with 32 grams of carbs, 40 grams of protein, and 10 grams of fat (all approximate of course).

Last edited by OA 5599; 08-06-2008 at 04:32 PM.. Reason: forgot a step

Old 08-06-2008, 05:41 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
I love this site....best site ever.....I only cook healthy and this is one of the many sites I use....WHFoods: The World's Healthiest Foods

you can click on any of the foods and get recipies for them. Loves it!!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:28 PM

651 posts, read 1,416,491 times
Cooking Light has great recipes with nutritional info and user reviews.

The Nation's Largest Food Magazine - Healthy Recipes - CookingLight.com

Old 08-14-2008, 10:24 PM

342 posts, read 1,831,109 times
These are simple and the variations are endless:
Cajun salmon (salmon steak rubbed with cajun seasoning) on a bed of spinach.
Hearty homemade minestrone soup (store-bought is choc-full of sodium!) with slice of toasted whole wheat bread.
Chicken/pork/steak/fish cooked with seasoning of choice with a side of vegetables (salad, sauteed broccolini, grilled zucchini, etc).
Anything grilled (meats, fish, veggies).
Omelettes and frittatas with vegetables.

Learn to cook with spices and herbs, as the flavor combinations and possibilities are endless. Go light on oil, and use olive oil where possible. Also, be mindful of portion control and don't overeat just because it's "healthy". And you don't need to avoid them entirely, but treat pasta/breads as a side-dish rather than an entree.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
"ital" is deduced from the word "vital". This type of diet was developed by Rastafarians whose roots are from Africa (Ethiopia). They rely on natural foods in order to maintain a healthy and well-balanced diet. Therefore, all the ingredients for their meals are not chemically treated in any way but are organically grown in the natural environment.

Ital dishes are mainly vegetarian, with some exceptions that are prepared using fish (no shellfish though), and consist of vegetables as well as fruits. A main ingredient in those distinct dishes are coconuts: these are used in order to flavor the dish naturally in various recipes. Moreover, thyme substitues salt and many other natural spices such as pimentos and scotch bonnet pepper are added to enhance the flavor.
Feel free to visit my website for vegetarian, natural juices and ital stews recipes.
[url=http://www.ital-recipes.com]Jamaican-Vegetarian Ital Recipes and Natural Juices - Jamaican Ital Food[/url]

Old 07-20-2010, 02:43 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
My diet consists of low-fat and tasty meals. This diet has healthy, simple and inexpensive recipes. The diet has to be healthy because it is based on the much researched Mediterranean diet and the Okinawan diet. Yes, I like diets with low-fat and healthy meals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness