Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 01:04 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,953,325 times

Advertisements

I was giving this some thought this morning when I was running. If you are a runner, do you acknowledge other people when you run and if so, how?

I ask this because, when I first started running a few years ago, I would go to various paths. Head down, really stay focused and not acknowledge other people as I went.
My husband, who can't run because of knee issues, would sometimes go with me and roller blade. When we would meet up back at the car, he would often say he saw and stopped and talked to so and so and that they saw me, waved and said hi, but got nothing back. He would explain to them I get pretty focused when I ran and I would. I would never really look at faces.

This changed when they finally connected to paths by our house and that is what I run every morning. I usually see the same people every day, which I have come to enjoy. My general acknowledgment is, "good morning". Most people will say it back, or smile or a small wave.

I'm just wondering what you other outdoor runners do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 03:56 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
a really slow one-lol

Old 08-07-2008, 05:34 PM

But I bet the kind that acknowledges everyone .

Old 08-07-2008, 06:46 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,486,017 times
i try to finish!! i'm still that kind of runner. haha.
but from my cross country days, i do have a bad habit and that's the desire to want to stop when i come up beside someone walking...haha. when i ran cc in hs, we would always run until someone started to walk (this was the slacker method) and as soon as we saw someone walking, we would walk! but i kind of have the tendency to do the same thing when someone flies by me too...i need to see someone else struggling i think to make me want to continue to struggle. isn't that awful? (:
also when we run around the track (my husband and i), i will get angry w/ him when he laps me. i'll cuss at him (just for fun) and then sometimes i'll tell him way to go. but if i don't know the person, i'm suppperrrr nice and i will say good job. that's my thing to say is good job. or if it's outside and we're not running loops or anything like that, i will just look at smile and sometimes say hey. i think my gasping for breath hey says it all!

Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
A slow one who likes to pat dogs and say hi.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:10 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Although I am not a very good runner compared to most, I usually smile or give a hello hand wave gesture as I pass other runners.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:12 PM

11 posts, read 94,119 times
Im the type of runner that kind of gets into their own world. I am more accustomed to running on a track where i'm not facing others though, but when i rarely take a jogging trail or something i don't really acknowledge others.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:29 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
But I bet the kind that acknowledges everyone .
if I run during the day...I do.
When I was up to doing a couple of miles a day, Id run at night. Less distraction and less cars.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:46 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,168 times
I was running in a 5K a few weeks ago.It was an out and back kind of coarse so once you turned at the half way,you were going back past others still going out.There was a woman running just behind me that would greet and even encourage all the runners that were still on the way out.I was amazed that she was doing this as I was just concentrating on breathing and keeping my legs going! She eventually passed me, effortlessly, smiling,and went on to take first in our age group!
I can manage a "hi" or a wave while on daily runs,but I'm not up for chatting during a race!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 AM

I'm enjoying everyone's responses

Okay - something else that I do that I'm really, really trying to stop:
For some reason when I run, my thumbs tend to naturally do the "thumbs up" sort of look. I didn't realize how obvious I guess it was, until one day I was running and this older gentleman that was walking the other direction gave me the thumbs up.

I thought, "that's nice of him!". Then the next day a runner was coming the opposite direction and she sort of did it at me too. I then realized it looked like I was giving the thumbs up to people and they were giving it back (I guess instead of the nod/smile).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness