Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,839 times

Advertisements

Yikes ! I am 70 been in gyms for 50 years, I do not like fans, I like to be hot and sweaty, it is natural.
I suspect these fan fans are afraid of what their bodies throw off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 6,516,768 times
I work out in my garage in Georgia and am an excessive sweater. I run a box fan when it's warm out for 2 reasons (1) it keeps the mosquitos away and (2) I sweat so much that it impacts the quality of my workout in terms of wet hands from sweating.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
I like to sweat but don't like sweating excessively and dripping all over the floor. I use a box fan when weight lifting and when using my bike on the trainer. It is essential when on the trainer otherwise I would have pools of sweat instead of a few small puddles. I also use the ceiling fan when doing my core routine to keep a moderate sweat from turning into a soaker.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:36 PM

44 posts, read 75,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkm99 View Post
I asked her to please turn the fan off, but she refused. It got to the point where I had to get off the machine and rip the cord out of the wall.
LOL! I would love to see that!

I like fans when I'm lifting. I only run track, so I presume that's like having a fan you can't get rid of???

Old 12-08-2011, 03:23 PM

628 posts, read 2,037,083 times
I'm anti-fan too---I prefer to sweat and be hot and feel like I'm really working. being cold and doing intense cardio just doesn't work for me.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,194,988 times
I think what it boils down to is to not use energy staying warm and not have energy zapped by being too hot. At least that's the theory of how to dress for running/cycling outdoors. Another POV is I can only remove so many layers without being indecently exposed. You can often add layers to remain comfortably warm.

Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM

410 posts, read 740,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkm99 View Post
Just wondering how many people like to work out with fans on?

I've been having alot of issues at the gym lately. The place where I work out the air condition works really well, BUT for some reason they have these 2 industrial fans by the cardio machines. I understand that sometimes it gets hot and people might need it to cool off. They should put it by the free weights.

What I don't understand is when it's about 68-73 degrees in the gym and people want the fan to be blowing right on them.
When I'm working out especially when I'm doing my cardio, I don't want the fan on me. I get sick really quick.

For example:Yesterday I was about 25 mins into my cardio(got a good sweat going) on the Stepmill. This woman comes over, turns the fan on and faces it towards the stepmills where she was about to work out. I'm right next to her . I asked her to please turn the fan off, but she refused. It got to the point where I had to get off the machine and rip the cord out of the wall.

I can't afford to get sick and I don't have time to wait untill the "HOT" people are done working out to turn the fan off.
I think it's more likely for someone to overheat and pass out than it is for you to get sick from a fan blowing on you. In my opinion, it is sort of an unspoken rule at a gym that if someone is hot, you let them have the fan on. You can always layer clothes if you are cold, but you can only take off so many clothes at the gym.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:01 PM

410 posts, read 740,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedee View Post
Yikes ! I am 70 been in gyms for 50 years, I do not like fans, I like to be hot and sweaty, it is natural.
I suspect these fan fans are afraid of what their bodies throw off.
I don't mind being hot and sweaty. In fact, I expect to be hot and sweaty when I work out, but for some reason when I work out all of my heat goes straight to my head and face. I have to have a fan blowing on me or else I feel like I'm going to pass out. I've always been that way. Not everyone is the same; people are made differently and some run hotter than others.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:15 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,221,114 times
I do kickboxing/strength training 6 days a week. The class is larger and in a big gym. There are 4 fans, one in each corner. A couple of them are the big industrial sized ones. My preferred "spot" for classes is right smack in front of one of the big fans. I don't like to sweat, so I prefer to be in the path of the direct air.

If I don't turn the fan on when we are getting the bags out, someone behind me always does, so I am not the only one who likies the air blowing.

The bad part is "my" fan is plugged in the same outlet as the music. Because I tend to carry a lot of static electricity I have learned I cannot plug the fan in or I will "zap" the music. It's happened more than once, one time we had no music at all for class. If it needs to be plugged in I ask someone else to do it.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM

15,789 posts, read 21,299,275 times
I need to be in front of one of the industrial fans. The little wimpy ones on the machines does nothing for me.

You can always put on another layer. I can't take another one off. Chemo made it so that my body can't regulate temperature correctly so the second I start on one of the machines, my entire body goes red and it get hard to breathe because I feel so hot and constricted. You better believe I'm turning a fan on! I'll still be hot and sweaty, but at least hot and sweaty and able to breathe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness