Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:05 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,138 times

Advertisements

I have issues with restrictive airways that makes it hard to breathe when working out and I get extremely hot very fast so I need fans on me even with AC blasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 11:29 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
I thought this thread was going to be about admirers coming into the gym to cheer you on or something?

Old 12-21-2011, 05:56 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
I have never understood why people want to be hot and sweating just because they are working out. I see guys wearing layers of shirts, sweat shirts, etc. I keep my house at 65 degrees so, when I go to the gym and it's 70 or higher, I'm feeling lightheaded before I begin my workout. Maybe it's because I have asthma but I have to pace myself when doing weight training regardless of the temperature. If it's above 68 degrees and I'm pressing heavy weights I'm dizzy after a couple of sets. Prefer a cool gym with fans blasting.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I have never understood why people want to be hot and sweating just because they are working out. I see guys wearing layers of shirts, sweat shirts, etc. I keep my house at 65 degrees so, when I go to the gym and it's 70 or higher, I'm feeling lightheaded before I begin my workout. Maybe it's because I have asthma but I have to pace myself when doing weight training regardless of the temperature. If it's above 68 degrees and I'm pressing heavy weights I'm dizzy after a couple of sets. Prefer a cool gym with fans blasting.
Agree! I don't understand the idea that they want to feel sweaty because it lets them know how hard they are working. Sweating doesn't feel good. I know how hard I am working by my heart rate and how I FEEL. I don't need moisture running down my back or in my eyes to remind me.

I used to do kickboxing in a facility that did not heat or cool the place. In the winter is was AWESOME, it would be 62 degrees at the start of class. Chilly, but it made you want to start moving to get warmed up. In the summer...Ugh. It would often be 90 in there. That was a main reason I quit going there and found someplace else. But I loved the cool mornings!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,324 times
I'm 50, I do arobics in the basement of a church which does not have any heat. It's freezing when you get going. On the 2nd number they crank the huge fans. I don't get warmed up till the middle of the session and as soon as we stop to do floor, I'm freezing again only this time I'm soaking wet and get chilled within minutes. Summer time- not a problem. So somebody inform me...am I nuts or do I have an issue?

Old 01-17-2012, 04:04 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
I'm not picky if it's warmer than 65 degrees where I'm jogging.. fan or no fan, doesn't matter much. I jog on summer days when it's 90 with no wind just fine. On the other hand, I see people out jogging in shorts and a t-shirt during days when I have to wear long sleeves to keep warm. I'm not a native to this cold climate. I also get baffled when it's going to be 55 degrees out but I see people jogging while it's dark in the morning and 28 degrees out. Too cold. I really would like to move to Florida or California, anywhere warmer than here.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:46 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I'm one of those people who overheats quickly, which makes my face turn red, and makes me nauseous and dizzy. I have to have a fan on or the room needs to be less than 70 degrees, but I'm respectful of others. If someone is already on a machine and a fan would end up blowing on him/her too, I won't turn it on. But the minute they leave, I'll turn it on. This is why I love cardio machines that have the fan built in.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:29 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
i have a lot of fans in my gym. they cheer me on as i lift super heavy weights.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,900,448 times
I can't stand a stuffy gym, it just makes it seem to smell worse too. I have been working on running long distances and one of the gyms I go to is sooo stuffy, its almost unbearable. I'd rather it be cooler and with fans on. Even if its cold at first, it motivates one to work out harder and get the heart beat up to warm up

Old 04-13-2019, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 457 times
Hi, I have the same problem at Mission HillsCC fitness center. Generally it’s women that turn in these industrial fans. Whether your afraid of getting sick or not, it’s not good for anyone who is sweating to have a fan blowing on their back. I have found that it creates or exacerbates back problems, particularly creating back colds or spasms. We are working on having these 6 fans removed. What’s really crazy is the insensitivity that these people display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness