Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 06:08 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,510 times

Advertisements

Never seen any such fan in a gym here. Maybe people aren't so horribly out of shape on average here. Getting hot and sweaty is supposed to happen. Flushes out those toxins too. One doesn't go to the gym for comfort. What else are you lot gonna need in your gyms? A robot affixed to the front of the treadmill that hand-feeds you M&M's while you jog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 12:10 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,458,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Never seen any such fan in a gym here. Maybe people aren't so horribly out of shape on average here. Getting hot and sweaty is supposed to happen. Flushes out those toxins too. One doesn't go to the gym for comfort. What else are you lot gonna need in your gyms? A robot affixed to the front of the treadmill that hand-feeds you M&M's while you jog?
Gym person here -bring on the fans. I like cool circulating air. Period. Don't like being nasty - working out with sweat trailing down your head, hair, back, backside and arm pits. Nasty is for running and cardio (which I do), not weights. Working out with weights being cool is the same as working out with weights being hot and sweaty, except cool feels much nicer.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:18 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Its probably some very small gym. The larger gyms are usually in places with very very good air conditioning so there is no need for fans. Besides, almost all cardio equipment made today have fans build in. The cardio machines at my gym have fans, IPOD docks, sound system for the tvs, etc.
I work out at a relatively new 24 Hr. Fitness and only some elliptical machines have their own fans. Most of the machines do not. I consider it common courtesy to ask folks working out around me before changing anything (TV station, fans, etc.). That said, some folks should simply buy some work out equipment and stay at home. I see people getting bent out of shape over virtually nothing at the gym and think to myself, "if you are that entitled, stay home".

Old 05-23-2019, 07:28 AM

2 posts, read 955 times
Quote:
Gym person here -bring on the fans. I like cool circulating air. Period. Don't like being nasty - working out with sweat trailing down your head, hair, back, backside and arm pits. Nasty is for running and cardio (which I do), not weights. Working out with weights being cool is the same as working out with weights being hot and sweaty, except cool feels much nicer.
Navyshow, exactly, I prefer them too. Even if I stay at home and do some home exercises for a long time, I turn on my honeywell fan (one of these: https://cozyhousetoday.com/honeywell...neywell-ht908/) and stay cool even during the hardest moments of my workout. And when at the gym - they should work constantly. That's how every gym should work. Bad ventilation will make you feel exhausted.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:36 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
I'm a fan of fans when doing cardio. I get really hot and sweaty, and the fans feel really good. What I really like is doing cardio (running) outside, but I live in AZ and it's just too hot for me to run outside right now. My favorite running weather is about mid-50's to upper 60's. So when running indoors, I like temperatures as close to that as possible. If the temp is low 70's indoors, then I need the fan on because it's just too hot.
Being hot and sweaty is exactly why I don't like the fans.
I run hot naturally, so start sweating in the first 5 minutes. By 10 minutes in, I am soaking and dripping as if just jumped out of a swimming pool. Soaking wet, 70 degrees is kinda chilly, then add the fans, and I end up with an earache.
Thankfully most of the gyms where I teach class/ work out have individual fan controls, so I turn mine off. There is definitely a "fan side" of the room, and a "non fan side" of the room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness