U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2008, 04:00 PM

3,412 posts, read 8,673,268 times

Advertisements

I've been doing Yoga for the last 5 month, along with other group classes that are offered in our gym. Do it ones a week on Saturdays, after spin class
When i first started i realized how un-flexible and how out of shape i was, but now, i can bend, twist and do other things i couldn't do before. That's just one part of it. Breathing, you have to really know how to breath, because you never pay attention on it, it is actually been studied that when you start concentrating on your breathing, and do it right, it will lower your blood pressure. It might look like it's easy, but it takes a lot of strength and power of your body to do it. It's quiet hard for someone starting out.
Yoga is good for anyone, at any age, any size, any weight. It's good for your internal organs, for your whole body and mind. I'd suggest yoga to anyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 04:43 PM

938 posts, read 2,938,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
The text above in bold confuses me. Most marathoners do want to add muscle mass. What are your goals for working out? I think the yoga will definitely help you if you want to do marathons. You'll learn how to breathe. Most people only use their top 1/3 of the lungs when they breathe, yoga (and especially taiji) will teach you to use your full lung capacity when breathing which will help you with any physical activity (and increase the functioning of your internal organs).

Yoga is sooo much more than just flexibility. Try the classes for a few months and you'll see.
My main workout goals right now include running a full marathon in under 4 hours. I ran a half earlier this year in just under 2 hours so I think I can do it with a good 6 months of training. The race is in February and I'm going to start training in the next week or so. I currently run 3 days a week, but I've kept my mileage constant at 4-6 miles a day all summer. I also lift 3x a week (upper body), but I don't have any goals really, I just enjoy lifting and gaining upper body muscle mass (although I'm also going to start doing strength training on my legs too to help with fatigue and hills during running). I'm not trying to lose weight as my current weight is ideal and has remained stable for about a year, and I'm reasonably happy with my appearance, but I'd of course always like a little more muscle and tone!

My plate is pretty full as I currently spend about 3-4 hours a week in the gym doing upper body strength training, and around another 3 hours a week running, although that will increase a lot as I up my mileage. So it will be quite hard for me to go more than once a week, as I'm also going to have a very busy semester at school with a thesis to start and finish, and I'm also starting to job hunt. I'm interested in yoga because from what little I do know about it, it will help a lot with running, by teaching me how to breathe and be more flexible, and will also work muscles I probably miss during my current workout routine. One of my friends is also interested in going so I'll probably go to a class with him in the next few weeks and give it a shot.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 14 days ago)

12,941 posts, read 17,988,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Yoga is sooo much more than just flexibility.
Yeah, but how do you explain that in less than a thousand words, right? Same with taijiquan...

Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,309,213 times
OA5599, did you check out my link? my brother is an ultramarathoner and couldnt win all he does without yoga (according to him).

Old 08-24-2008, 10:34 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,427,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Yeah, but how do you explain that in less than a thousand words, right? Same with taijiquan...
I know. Its impossible.

Old 08-25-2008, 08:36 PM

4,589 posts, read 11,350,128 times
I love yoga....bikram yoga is awesome. I'm a huge believer in core strength and yoga promotes that. Bikram yoga is also a sort of detox as well, it's worth the near death feeling

Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,427,702 times
Ive never done the Bikram yoga. Is that the one where its performed in a 120 degree room?

Old 08-25-2008, 08:46 PM

oh yea, on a good day lol. There are points when you feel like you might die but it's soooo worth it.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 14 days ago)

12,941 posts, read 17,988,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
oh yea, on a good day lol. There are points when you feel like you might die but it's soooo worth it.
That's what they say about crack, too...

Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That's what they say about crack, too...
ewwwwww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness