U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 AM

4,589 posts, read 11,237,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
There are at least 12 Bikram Yoga places within 12 miles of where I live. I think I'll stick with my Vinyasa yoga though.

bikram in Studio City, CA on Yahoo! Local
wimp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 03:24 PM

12,931 posts, read 17,731,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
wimp
No, I agree with DaBeeze - I tend to distrust any mind/body exercise that holds the title "Johnny Come Lately" or is really only a mish-mash of other techniques.

This happens in the martial arts all the time - "Hey, I've discovered a new style!" ...no, you haven't - you've just taken a few moves from a couple of styles and called it "new".

On top of that, part of my philosophy is to avoid extremes - which, you might agree, Bikram indulges in via the warm temperatures.

And finally - I could NEVER take a class where the male instructor is strutting around in front of us in a Speedo.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:43 PM

Alright philip......first of all....my instructor is a woman and she doesn't wear a speedo...second of all I don't care where the "moves" came from....they work and the detox factor is amazing...but nothing beats how it makes you feel....you can't really describe it....sooo.....don't knock it until you've tried it......then maybe i'll listen to ya'

all in love phil all in love

Old 08-28-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Alright philip......first of all....my instructor is a woman and she doesn't wear a speedo...
Well now, see, if she did I'd probably try a class or two...

Quote:
second of all I don't care where the "moves" came from
It's different in the martial arts world, is all I'm saying...it's important because blending two or more unsuitable styles can not only negate any positive benefits but lead to problems down the road.

Does your teacher train your breathing also? Your prana? Are there discussions of chakras? Diet and nutrition? Hindu philosophy? Without all that, all you're doing is an aerobic exercise, not yoga. (IMHO, of course)

Quote:
....they work and the detox factor is amazing...but nothing beats how it makes you feel....you can't really describe it
I'm glad it works for you.

Quote:
....sooo.....don't knock it until you've tried it......then maybe i'll listen to ya'
I don't particularly care whether you listen to me or not - I've been involved in mind/body work for over 38 years now and I've seen fads and trends come and go, most with little or no serious consequences. But some have the capability to cause permanent injury, and with something like Bikram that's my uppermost concern - that people will hop into it without thinking and hurt themselves.

When aerobic kickboxing started becoming popular in the gyms, everybody flocked to it. The incidence rate of injuries skyrocketed. Why? Because the instructors weren't martial artists, and didn't realize that punching and kicking air with a full extension of the limbs leads to serious trouble. It's only after the damage was done did they start to think about modifying the routines.

Quote:
all in love phil all in love
Same here, m'lady - I just get my freak on when the discussion is in my field.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:00 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,044,877 times
You both make good points but its just that I have a phobia of peoples germs. Bikram just seems like the most unsanitary of all the yoga with the people sweating in a closed heated room. Im sure it may work fine, but if I want to workout in the heat (which I did today and yesterday) I'll just go in my garage and do a few rounds on the heavy bag, speed bag and wooden dummy.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You both make good points but its just that I have a phobia of peoples germs. Bikram just seems like the most unsanitary of all the yoga with the people sweating in a closed heated room. Im sure it may work fine, but if I want to workout in the heat (which I did today and yesterday) I'll just go in my garage and do a few rounds on the heavy bag, speed bag and wooden dummy.
I know the feeling. When I used to have my little house in the woods I had a training station set up outside. Nothing like working out in Nature.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post

I don't particularly care whether you listen to me or not -
well alrighty then.....and to think....I was nice to you tisk tisk tisk....

Old 08-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I hear ya.....definitly to each his own and one of the things I emphisize over and over again to my clients is you have to be comfortable with what your doing otherwise you can not fully reap the benefits of it.

But germphobe?? I'm the same way....germ freak....actually everyone at work buys me handsanitizer for my birthday because i'm constantly using it...that and omg I'm in love with clorox wipes....I dont even use rags anymore anyway.....little off track there sorrybout that.....it's not like your on top of anyone....theres at least 3 feet of distance between you and another person.....maybe it's just me....if I was bothered by being close to sweaty ppl I wouldn't have a kid.....if ya know what i mean

Old 08-28-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
well alrighty then.....and to think....I was nice to you tisk tisk tisk....
Well, let this be a lesson to you - it's what happens when you're nice to people!

Old 08-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Well, let this be a lesson to you - it's what happens when you're nice to people!
Fool me once right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness