U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Status: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" (set 11 days ago)

12,939 posts, read 17,980,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Fool me once right?
Choo got it, baby!

Forgive many things in others; nothing in yourself.
~Ausonius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,415,354 times
Looks like we are the only three people here on CD who likes yoga.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Looks like we are the only three people here on CD who likes yoga.
Actually, I HATE yoga.

...but I LOVE ruffling feathers.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 PM

12,978 posts, read 27,415,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sifuphil View Post
actually, i hate yoga.

...but i love ruffling feathers. :d
lol.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:38 AM

288 posts, read 789,363 times
I fell in love with yoga and go to class whenever I can. I'm working on building a home practice (but need more time to train the dogs not to participate). I'm also enrolled in a teacher training course because I want to bring yoga to more people who really need it. I love what it has done for me. I've been flexible my whole life, but my flexibility is being taken to whole new levels. I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, my posture is improving, my core strength is improving rapidly and I just feel so much better. Yoga was phase two of my "life makeover" and I only wish I'd started it so much sooner than I did. Sometimes I just want to grab people off the street and usher them into a yoga class so it can help them as much as it has me. I do plan to be more subtle about it once I am a certified teacher and looking for students of my own.

I am still amazed that I can do headstand. Me, the person terrified of being upside for any reason or length of time, the person with the chopstick arms who wouldn't win an arm wrestling contest with a spindly kindergartener....wow can things ever change!

Yoga is life-changing...it makes everything better!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICvegan View Post
Sometimes I just want to grab people off the street and usher them into a yoga class so it can help them as much as it has me. I do plan to be more subtle about it once I am a certified teacher and looking for students of my own.
Actually, now that I'm a taijiquan teacher, I find that bear traps work well outside the front door. Just file the teeth down a bit so your prospective student doesn't wake the neighbors with that infernal howling.

Quote:
Yoga is life-changing...it makes everything better!
They should have an official yoga motto -

- like "Things Go Better With Yoga!"

Old 08-31-2008, 04:14 PM

181 posts, read 503,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
If you did Bikram yoga, I'm pretty sure you'd lose weight...

...or pass out - one or the other.

BTW - profile pic - Theda Bara?
Actually, Louise Brooks--but good guess!

Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM

4,748 posts, read 11,595,143 times
Quote:
When aerobic kickboxing started becoming popular in the gyms, everybody flocked to it. The incidence rate of injuries skyrocketed. Why? Because the instructors weren't martial artists, and didn't realize that punching and kicking air with a full extension of the limbs leads to serious trouble. It's only after the damage was done did they start to think about modifying the routines.
So true. I hurt my hip doing Tae Bo and it took an entire year to get back to normal.

Regarding yoga, I became a huge fan when I developed pregnancy-induced sciatica and absolutely nothing helped other than pregnancy yoga. If I did yoga, I could be pain-free for 24 hours (and then I'd need to do yoga again). If I didn't do yoga, I was in constant pain and discomfort. Yoga worked better than chiropractic treatment or massage.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
So true. I hurt my hip doing Tae Bo and it took an entire year to get back to normal.
Oh, yeah - Tae Bo is one of the biggest offenders; especially when people just order a DVD and "learn" it at home without a knowledgeable instructor to correct their form.

Quote:
Regarding yoga, I became a huge fan when I developed pregnancy-induced sciatica and absolutely nothing helped other than pregnancy yoga. If I did yoga, I could be pain-free for 24 hours (and then I'd need to do yoga again). If I didn't do yoga, I was in constant pain and discomfort. Yoga worked better than chiropractic treatment or massage.
And are you still doing some form of yoga?

Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 AM

4,748 posts, read 11,595,143 times
Quote:
And are you still doing some form of yoga?
Yes, I have a huge collection of DVDs and sometimes I go to a studio. And my children both know the names of a lot of different poses and practice with me.

Both of them think it is funny that they can effortlessly do poses that are difficult for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness