U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 AM

354 posts, read 492,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburns08 View Post
NO! 8:40 is not good! The fastest mile I've ever ran was 5:15 and I never used to be a runner.
If you got 8:40, don't accept that.
You sound like my 12yr old cousin who swore he ran a 5 min mile in P.E.

An 8 min mile is a decent time for anyone new to running and if you were an athlete/fitness junkie you would know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,344,032 times
Quote:
NO! 8:40 is not good! The fastest mile I've ever ran was 5:15 and I never used to be a runner.
If you got 8:40, don't accept that.
LOL. That equates to a 3:50 minute marathon which is perfectly respectable time. Running one mile in 5:15 is not remotely in the realm of completing a maraton... no matter what the time.

For a beginner, 8:40 is a good time. Too many runners foolishly focus on time when they should solely be focused on two things:

1. Slowly increasing your distance
2. Avoiding injury, which is very common in novice runners.

If you obsess over getting faster, you will almost certainly get injured and abandon running. The far better approach is to run 30 mins without stopping as your first goal, then up it from there.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 PM

8,076 posts, read 5,371,908 times
When I was in Marine Corps bootcamp I ran 3 miles in 20:20.

I am short, really short legs and a crummy stride......I was running full out the whole time......thought I was going to drop.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:05 PM

12,474 posts, read 4,525,090 times
It's all relative. I figure that any fit adult male should be able to run a mile in 7 minutes. I am extremely old (over 50) and can readily do it well under 6 minutes. And I'm by no means the best for my age. But then I can't bench press what the big dogs can. All relative. Here's the WR holder, Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco doing his thing, running the mile in 3 minutes, 43 seconds.

Hicham El Guerrouj sets a world record in the mile - YouTube

Old 03-10-2012, 02:45 PM

2,377 posts, read 1,947,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It's all relative. I figure that any fit adult male should be able to run a mile in 7 minutes. I am extremely old (over 50) and can readily do it well under 6 minutes. And I'm by no means the best for my age. But then I can't bench press what the big dogs can. All relative. Here's the WR holder, Hicham El Guerrouj of Morocco doing his thing, running the mile in 3 minutes, 43 seconds.
The key word here is fit. The average adult male, in my opinion, can't run a mile without walking. At my local YMCA, among people who are making some attempt to exercise, most of the adults walk on the treadmills. Even among the runners at 5K races, the majority of the over 25 males are running at over an 8 minute per mile pace. Based on my experience, I would say you could take an adult male who is in reasonably good shape and not overweight, have them run regularly for 3 months at least 3-4 times a week for at least 10-15 miles a week, and they could run a mile in under 7 minutes. This is just my experience from running 200 races and watching people attempting to train for a race.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:19 PM

2,118 posts, read 2,518,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Hicham El Guerrouj sets a world record in the mile - YouTube
I watched all of that.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:00 AM

3 posts, read 97,596 times
I'm sorry if I offended u I meant no disrespect, 8:40 is a good run time for someone who doesn't run often
, everyone expectations are different, I just don't think anyone should settle for a certain run time.
Everyone is different, trust me i know this more then most. All my soldiers are different but I run them all the same I make the fastest guy lead our runs. With a little motivation a 8:40 runner, is now an 8:20 runner. Your already doing more then most by getting out there and not only excersiseing but also accomplishing goals. 8:40 is good yes, now u know what your slowest time is and u and only you can get better!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:10 AM

3 posts, read 97,596 times
7:00*

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 AM

2,912 posts, read 3,344,032 times
Quote:
All my soldiers are different but I run them all the same I make the fastest guy lead our runs.
The OP is not in the military and the expectations of a soldier is radically different than a novice runner looking to improve their fitness. An 8:40 mile time for an 18 year old Marine recruit would indeed be pretty poor. It's not poor for someone looking to get into running to keep trim and fit. We're talking two totally different cultures and scenarios here.

In any case, running one mile is basically useless for real fitness. Someone who runs 6 miles in 54 minutes (a 9 min. mile) is arguably a "better" runner than some soldier running one mile in 6 minutes. Distance is the goal, NOT speed, unless you're a track sprinter.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:12 PM

12,474 posts, read 4,525,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
I watched all of that.
Thanks for the feedback. That record (3:43) was set in 1999, a long time for a record to stand. Some people figure that El G was EPO enhanced but who knows. It is equivalent of about 16.1 MPH.

I agree with Uly, a mile is not a very far distance to jog. As I get older I have increased my warm up and cool-down jogs in an effort to avoid injury. Any treadmill workout I jog 1.5 miles just to warm up. Only after that does the real running begin. And I'm not sure that 1.5 mi. is adequately getting me warmed up.

Most people tend to severely underestimate their own capacity for running distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness