U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 12:05 AM

716 posts, read 1,125,795 times

Advertisements

I've never been a runner...have just always hated it. However, I got motivated last Friday to go to the Y and try to work my way up to running a mile. On Friday and Saturday, I alternated running/walking every quarter mile...did a total of 2 miles. Then Monday & Wednesday I ran 1/2 mile, walked qtr, ran a half, etc for 2 miles.

Finally, this past Friday, I was able to run a mile non stop in 8 min, 40 sec. Is this a good time? Is it generally easy to improve your time in the mile??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 AM

3,832 posts, read 8,028,770 times
Well....i guess it depends on your definition of what a "good" time is. 8min is a good time for a casual runner.

I know I could go run a 7-8 min mile this afternoon if I wanted to. In high school I did it in 6min 32 sec. I'm not a track star by any means. I only ran for conditioning for basketball.

History:
For a long time nobody could seem to break the 4min mile barrier. It was broken in 1954 by Roger Bannister. Since then the record has been lowered by 17 seconds.

Four-minute mile - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-01-2008, 02:34 PM

557 posts, read 1,604,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I've never been a runner...have just always hated it. However, I got motivated last Friday to go to the Y and try to work my way up to running a mile. On Friday and Saturday, I alternated running/walking every quarter mile...did a total of 2 miles. Then Monday & Wednesday I ran 1/2 mile, walked qtr, ran a half, etc for 2 miles.

Finally, this past Friday, I was able to run a mile non stop in 8 min, 40 sec. Is this a good time? Is it generally easy to improve your time in the mile??
A 8:40 mile is a great time if you can keep it up. If you could sustain that pace you would finish a marathon in under 4 hours which is a fantastic time. If you are serious about running and training for endurance events you will have to slow down. I've been training for a half marathon this fall and as the distances and times have increased my pace has slowed considerably, which is the point of the training program I'm on. My mile time has decreased from 9:30 to around 11 minutes per mile. For the sake of injury prevention and finishing an endurance event we train to run for periods of time and not necessarily distance or pace. As I become accustomed to running distances and the pounding it puts on my body I can work on improving my race times, first things first.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:04 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,094,199 times
It's a good time - but it also depends on what your goals are.

I run 4 miles a day, my average pace is 9 min. 40 secs. I could run a faster mile - if I only ran a mile. I run strictly for exercise. I don't do any competing, etc.

Old 09-01-2008, 10:06 PM

5,216 posts, read 9,016,214 times
JKCoop has it right on. It depends on your goals. In a track meet you'd be left in the dust with an 8:40 mile, but this is a solid time for conditioning. It becomes really good if you can work up to running several miles at this pace.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM

3,832 posts, read 8,028,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I could run a faster mile - if I only ran a mile.
I think this is a key statement. If you know up front you're only going to have to make it a mile you can take it up a notch. You're essentially doing a time trial. You can, with sufficient experience, train to run that distance so that at the end of the run you are completely drained. You just have to know your body and be able to judge how much gas you have left in the tank throughout the run. If you get to halfway and you think you can easily make it then you haven't gone hard enough in the first half. If you're dying then you've gone out too hard in the begining....you should only feel like you're dying close to the end. All it takes is practice.

Edit- Just for fun sometimes I would go out and see if I could run a 1/4 mi in 1 min. It gives you a good idea of what it would take to do a 4 min mile. After that you'll think to yourself "HTH do they do it???" LOL

I have a similar thought with regard to cycling. If I was only going to do a 10 mile ride I could average 24mph(on the flat)...but if I was going to ride 50 miles I'd need to back it down....a lot.

Last edited by drjones96; 09-02-2008 at 09:27 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,698,866 times
i usually can run a mile faster when I am being chased. other than that im pretty slow.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,900,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
i usually can run a mile faster when I am being chased. other than that im pretty slow.
and didn't I tell ya' to stay away from those staties?

Old 09-02-2008, 11:16 AM

3,434 posts, read 6,698,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
and didn't I tell ya' to stay away from those staties?
sometimes i just dont listen

Old 09-02-2008, 11:25 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,900,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
sometimes i just dont listen
or ask for directions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness