U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 08:34 AM

594 posts, read 2,077,593 times

Advertisements

As the days get shorter and shorter I find myself running in the dark more often. I like to start my weekday runs around 5:45am and this time of year it's getting darker and darker at that time.

Earlier this week I was on one of my favorite trail runs in our neighborhood. It was still pretty dark with all of the tree cover and I was working real hard on watching my feet to keep from triping over a rock or spraining an ankle. As I was cruising along I heard a rustling in the bushes to my right and looked up just in time to see 2 skunks with tails in the air taking aim at me. The skunks were right next to the trail and I could have kicked one they were so close. I'm a pretty slow runner but I finished the next 20 yards or so at world record pace.

So I'm looking for some recommendations on head lights and reflective gear to wear when I'm running. I don't think the light would have scared the skunks away but maybe I could have seen them sooner. I wear an Amphipod hydration belt when I'm running. Is there are light I could attach to my belt? Thanks, GO TEAM.

Last edited by streetscenes; 09-05-2008 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2008, 10:40 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,031,305 times
Sorry - I have no recommendation for you, but I got a giggle out of your post! The other night my husband and I were taking a walk at dusk by the creek and he suddenly bolts, dragging me along! Once he finally stopped he told me there was a skunk, tail up, taking aim.
Whew! Near miss.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:59 AM

29,868 posts, read 53,244,264 times
Oh, too funny -- although it wouldn't have been funny if they'd sprayed you!

Anything that makes noise -- jingling keys, etc. -- might scare them away. Or a flashlight?

Attach some wind chimes to your belt?

Old 09-05-2008, 11:02 AM

3,434 posts, read 8,484,037 times
if you do get sprayed, ive heard tomato juice will get the smell off you.

just hope u dont see one of these.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 AM

2,689 posts, read 5,831,433 times
You do know that spraying is a skunks last and final attempt at having you leave it alone (this means you have to really be irritating it to begin with). I mean, in all honesty, it really takes a lot to get a skunk to spray you. I've actually almost petted a wild skunk.

Here's a few things about skunks and spraying... from Facts Vs. Myths

14. Myth: Skunks spray all the time. (Fact: If not startled or defending their young, they will rarely spray. They give plenty of warning signals before spraying. Their spray is a precious commodity that is saved for only life-threatening situations. In a perfect situation, a skunk could actually go through life never spraying anything.)

15. Myth: Skunks cannot spray unless their back feet are on the ground. (Fact: Because skunks rarely spray, this is how these myths were determined. A skunk can spray when the tail is held down or under, when it is doing a handstand (especially in the case of a spotted skunk), and when being hung by their tail. They simply choose not to most of the time.)

18. Myth: Skunks smell. (Fact: They are very clean animals and actually smell better than dogs. It is only what they spray that smells.)

Truthfully, if you ignore them, they'll ignore you. If you provoke them and threatin them, then they'll do whatever it takes to defend themselves. The sign to look for right before a skunk is getting ready to spray is if they face you and kind of "bark" at you while stamping their feet. If that doesn't get your attention, then they'll turn their back on you and that's when you better run... 'cuz their spray can reach really far!

We have quite a few skunk familes around here. I welcome them because they eat black widows.

Perhaps you can put a jingle bell on your shoe so when you run they can hear you coming and not be startled?!?!

Last edited by canibeyou; 09-06-2008 at 03:02 AM.. Reason: Typo's of course! :)

Old 09-06-2008, 12:35 PM

8,416 posts, read 32,829,415 times
I had this ankle bracelet with bells I would wear when walking in the woods to scare off animals. No wild animal attacks yet...lol...But plenty of unknown animals running away.
You may be able to find it at an indian store. I bought mine of a native american guy at a trapping convention when I was younger.

Old 09-07-2008, 01:38 PM

594 posts, read 2,077,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
You do know that spraying is a skunks last and final attempt at having you leave it alone (this means you have to really be irritating it to begin with). I mean, in all honesty, it really takes a lot to get a skunk to spray you. I've actually almost petted a wild skunk.

Here's a few things about skunks and spraying... from Facts Vs. Myths

14. Myth: Skunks spray all the time. (Fact: If not startled or defending their young, they will rarely spray. They give plenty of warning signals before spraying. Their spray is a precious commodity that is saved for only life-threatening situations. In a perfect situation, a skunk could actually go through life never spraying anything.)

15. Myth: Skunks cannot spray unless their back feet are on the ground. (Fact: Because skunks rarely spray, this is how these myths were determined. A skunk can spray when the tail is held down or under, when it is doing a handstand (especially in the case of a spotted skunk), and when being hung by their tail. They simply choose not to most of the time.)

18. Myth: Skunks smell. (Fact: They are very clean animals and actually smell better than dogs. It is only what they spray that smells.)

Truthfully, if you ignore them, they'll ignore you. If you provoke them and threatin them, then they'll do whatever it takes to defend themselves. The sign to look for right before a skunk is getting ready to spray is if they face you and kind of "bark" at you while stamping their feet. If that doesn't get your attention, then they'll turn their back on you and that's when you better run... 'cuz their spray can reach really far!

We have quite a few skunk familes around here. I welcome them because they eat black widows.

Perhaps you can put a jingle bell on your shoe so when you run they can hear you coming and not be startled?!?!
A little more than I needed to know about skunks. I'm guessing the little critters I saw felt threatned by me running/stumbling down a dark trail huffing and puffing and such. I don't think I'll but a cat bell on my shoe but I have taken to claping loudly on some of the darker parts of the trail when I'm running. Especially after seeing 4 coyotes on my street the other morning.

I'll probably have to alter some of my routes by doing the out on streets and doing the back on trails when there is a little more light. But that means I will still need some sort of light and reflective gear, any recomendations.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 PM

8,309 posts, read 31,685,267 times
The problem with skunks is that they just aren't afraid of anything and they aren't shy about pulling the trigger. Making yourself more noticeable probably wouldn't discourage a skunk, it just makes you more noticeable. I knew a guy in high school who was sprayed by a skunk after he shot at it from 20 yards with a handgun. The skunk charged him and he missed with all six shots. I heard it from a distance. The first two shots were spaced out in such a way as to suggest careful aiming. The next four were spaced out in such a way as to suggest escalating panic. "Bang!.....Bang!......Bang!....Bang!..Bang!Ban g!" He later said he tried to run back to the car but it was too late, the skunk got him. By the way, tomato juice helps but does NOT fix the problem.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 30,104 times
Skunk essance is mainly oil and grease. Sulpher elements is what you smell. It vaporises quickly and flows with the wind, sticking to whatever the molecules hit. It can be washed off the skin or solid surfaces, even hair and pets though. Mix a quart of peroxide wth 3 oz. dawn dishsoap and do not add water. Use like a soap and rince off. After the second application, it should be odor free.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM

6 posts, read 30,104 times
Never ever shoot a skunk! It will spray for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness