Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2008, 09:59 PM

8,583 posts, read 15,974,911 times

Advertisements

I am middle age and pretty out of shape and want to improve that.

I am trying to walk and I just bought a weight bench and have dumb bell
weights. I get so overwhelmed with all the exercise recomendations
that I end up not doing any.

Here is my question...

What are the best exercises to begin with for upper body and abs.
Since I am walking I thought that it would be good to start with upper body exercises.

I want to just start with 2 and then after a few weeks add in a few more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 06:42 AM

622 posts, read 3,109,730 times
Deadlifts.

You're abs don't need anything right now. The walking is fine for now.

I'll give you a couple more, but don't want to overwhelm you. I know how that can be. Just save these for when you feel more comfortable.

Dumbell bench press.

Dumbell shoulder press

Dumbell bent over rowing.

Dumbell Squats.

If you do all the above eventually, that's all you'll need for a while. Do 12 repetitions with a weight that will make it difficult to do the last few reps on your last sets. maybe 3 sets each exercise.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM

8,583 posts, read 15,974,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Deadlifts.

You're abs don't need anything right now. The walking is fine for now.

I'll give you a couple more, but don't want to overwhelm you. I know how that can be. Just save these for when you feel more comfortable.

Dumbell bench press.

Dumbell shoulder press

Dumbell bent over rowing.

Dumbell Squats.

If you do all the above eventually, that's all you'll need for a while. Do 12 repetitions with a weight that will make it difficult to do the last few reps on your last sets. maybe 3 sets each exercise.

Good luck!
Thank you so much!!!
That is what I needed..a starting place.
I know it seems silly but that makes it seem much less
confusing to me.
Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness