U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-12-2008, 02:58 PM

1,294 posts, read 4,827,046 times

Advertisements

Sept. 28th is the date for our first sprint triathlon. I've been scouring the internet for info on the best nutrition plan for the week leading up to, the breakfast before, and the best nutrition during the race. EVERYTHING is contradicting and I'm sure everyone on here will have different opinions too, and I know it's very specific to each person - but I'm not sure what to do at this point. And - I trust you all more than the internet...aw.

I've heard carb loading the night before is bad and then I've heard it's good. I know this is just a sprint and my body has enough reserves to finish on no food, but obviously I want to set myself up for success, so what do you all suggest the menu should be?

Here's what I'm thinking so far:
week of - eat some protein and carbs and drink lots of water (pretty normal eating)
night before - eat dinner before 8; carbs but not too heavy and accelerade
morning of (race starts at 7:15, not sure what time my heat will start yet and i'm not going to be fast probably. i'm guessing it will take me about 2 hours) - eat a bagel, accelerade, and small smoothie by 5:15 am; cliff bar and accelerade by 6:45
during race - drink lots of water and accelerade. have gu or powerbar on bike if needed.

What do you think about this? I don't want to overthink it but I also don't want to wish I had done more come race day.

Thanks everyone!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 11:14 PM

938 posts, read 2,299,313 times
My sports nutrition book recommends just eating normally the week before a big event like a triathlon, and assuming you are taking an "easy week" and recharging for the event, your body will store the extra calories you would have burned exercising. Of course if you are still training this isn't going to work. I'm personally interested in it that way, as for marathon training I have to go on three 20 mile runs, on weeks where I've ran my normal amount. If anyone has any ideas how to load up on energy for these, I'd be interested in hearing.

I would be wary of eating too much the night before a morning race. I did that with 5k once and still felt like there was a lot of food left in my stomach and had a hard time really pushing myself. It isn't a good idea to try anything drastically new before a race, generally you should work that out during training. You have no idea what a particular new food, sports nutrition bar, or supplement will do to you and it could hurt your performance.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:52 PM

Thanks OA 5599! I agree, I would rather be a tad hungry than have a full feeling in my stomach. I hate that feeling especially when you're nervous already. Something light for dinner and breakfast for sure.

From our workout calendar, it looks like we'll still be training up to the day of, but not quite as stenously - so hopefully it will be ok as far as saving up calories.

as for your marathon training (way to go btw) i would think take lots of gu with you on the run for sure (but you know that) and the days leading up to your runs, eat white bread, white pasta, peanut butter and jelly on white bread - stuff that's super easy to digest and easy to turn into energy. no wheat or fruit - just simple food. that's all i know.

here's one article, but like i said, they all say different things: Should I Carbo Load Before the Marathon?

good luck and thanks for responding!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:50 AM

557 posts, read 1,605,067 times
Current issues of Runners World has a couple of articles about pre race diet. Basic idea is don't over do it and try to stick to your regular diet. You can increase the carbs but do it days before and not the day before. And don't forget protein to rebuild your muscles and plenty of fresh fruit for carbs and vitamins. Regarding white bread versus whole grains, if you normally eat whole grains and your body is ok with that then stick with the whole grains.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:36 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,908,863 times
BRinSM would know. He completed a triathlon recently and from what I understand he did pretty well. You might want to send him a PM to find out.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:17 PM

thanks streetscenes and dabeez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness