U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM

137 posts, read 444,143 times

Advertisements

I have been working out on one for two weeks atleast, yet I have hardly noticed a difference. I am eating extremely healthy and drink lots of water daily. I sweat a lot but am I burning fat? Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2008, 03:02 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,817,247 times
Absolutely they work......what level are you on? You need to get your heart rate up in order to burn fat no matter what you excersize on. How long are you consistently working out on it? For instance, I work out on mine, consistently keeping my heart rate up in the target fat burning zone, for 30 minutes, then I do my weights, then I do a 15-20 minute cool down on my eliptical again. If you are keeping your heart rate up and consistently doing it fore 30mins or more a day you should definitly be seeing a difference.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 PM

28,114 posts, read 23,594,563 times
My ex got into amazing shape just by using the elliptical 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week (and then supplementing with some weight-lifting). You don't have to do cardio for hours. You just have to make the time you do cardio count.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:16 PM

8,182 posts, read 11,381,522 times
Yes they work! I say they are the most evil machine made to man!! Ok OK I say that because they make my muscules hurt....

Old 09-15-2008, 03:32 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,817,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
Yes they work! I say they are the most evil machine made to man!! Ok OK I say that because they make my muscules hurt....
lol......Evil. I can see how they might give off that impression . For some reason even though I've been using them for so long it's like the first 10 minutes feel like they might kill you......then it gets better, more sweaty but better

Old 09-15-2008, 03:52 PM

25,391 posts, read 31,712,866 times
Yeah, they work ... They work your butt, your calves, your quads, your heart, your arms, your chest, your back ...

Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM

7,897 posts, read 13,727,795 times
Watch out with how fast you go on those things. I have heard from several trainers that they can really mess up your knees if you over-do it.

Old 09-15-2008, 05:40 PM

4,220 posts, read 10,179,679 times
you burn calories while you sleep so any kind of cardio activity will result in an increase in calories burned. i have heard, however, conflicting stories of how effective they are compared to other machines. for example, will you lose more calories on the elliptical or on the treadmill. from that perspective, then no, the elliptical may not be as effective. it depends on your situation, your goals, and your state of mind.

when i first started going to the gym, i used the elliptical. why? b'c it was easy and i could be on that thing forever without a lot of exertion. i have since moved to the treadmill where i feel like i'm working harder and losing more calories. now i am back on the elliptical b'c i was in "hiatus" for a while b'c i feel like on the elliptical i can concontrate on just "losing calories" versus if, for example, on a treadmill i'm also concerned about distance, form, endurance, etc. this is my own personal experience, however, and someone else's situation may differ from my own.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:23 PM

2,621 posts, read 7,506,150 times
It is a great machine with little stress on the joints. For home use, you need a smaller footprint to save space.

Like any exercise, you need to burn a particular number of calories and work a particular intensity to be effective.

You need to create an energy deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound of fat.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 PM

938 posts, read 2,278,104 times
They do indeed work very well. For fat loss I really don't think they can be beat for a beginner, since it so easy to burn a lot of calories fast on one, and they are very easy on your joints.

Chances are you aren't seeing results because you've only been working out for a week or two now. By now you should be getting into better shape, and have an easier time going faster/longer on the elliptical, but you won't see any large drops in weight in that short of a period of time (although if you are eating properly, a fat loss of several pounds would be expected). If you still haven't lost any weight within a week or to, go though your diet and count up your calories and be sure you really are eating the proper amount, and not too much or little. Too much and you'll keep your current weight or gain weight, too little and you'll be fatigued and tired all the time, and risk putting your body into starvation mode, where you will burn lean tissue instead of fat, and have a very hard time both losing weight and gaining muscle. Be sure to calculate in everything you eat, including soda or any alcohol. You can find many calorie calculators online to give you idea of what you need in a day, and should give you target calorie goals for fat loss too.

Also, one other thing...how often are you using the elliptical, and for how long? If you are only hopping on it a couple times a week for 15 minutes you won't see much of a difference. I'd do it for at least 30 minutes at a time at least 3 days a week, and increase the intensity, workout length, and number of times per week you go as you get stronger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness