U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 09:19 AM

13,004 posts, read 695,404 times
Default Taking Your Kids to the Gym with You.

How do you feel about taking you kids to the gym with you? At the right age and only if they are interested. I take my 13 and 14 year olds and they workout plus I bought them memberships. However, another member bought in her 3 and 5 year olds and they went wild. She was told not to bring them back and then complained about my sons. This lead to her being asked to join another gym. Feedback Please>>>>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,179,407 times
I dont think the gym is a place for children at all. My gym has a minimum age requirement of 18 years. They do have a place for children to play that is separate from the general population of the gym and its $7.00 fee for the to watch them. They even watch infants who are at least 4 months old - its great.

Its great that children learn about fitness and health but I do not want any kids running around and goofing off while I am trying to workout. Leave the kids at home or find some other way to work out.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM

618 posts, read 2,102,268 times
Seems to me like 13 and 14 is just under the borderline. Maybe 16+ would be a good age. I agree with Dabeez to an extent, but every kid is different in maturity level. But are we going to let parents judge which kids are 'mature' enough to go to the gym with them or should we place an age limit on them? I think the latter is a better idea.

Personally, I would love to bring my two kids when they turn 13-16, but I do understand that it may not be the place for them. Maybe 18 is a good limit after all.

Depends on the type of gym too.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:36 AM

930 posts, read 1,732,415 times
18? You guys are kidding right? So you aren't allowed to work out when you are in high school? I guess the guys who play football and powerlift in HS are really out of luck then.

Personally, I'd say 13+ with a parent, 16+ to go on your own. I know when I was 16, and in high school, I went to the gym on my own - and I didn't mess around, I went to lift or to swim. Do we really have to go with the blanket approach? What's wrong with setting a reasonable policy, then dealing with problem cases on a case by case basis?

Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,438,448 times
The gym I trained at and attended before we completed our home gym was really family oriented, they offered classes for parents and kids as well as a kids gym that came equip with their own personal trainers . I totally promote bringing your children to the gym, if it's allowed, as often as you can.....I started brining mine when she was 2.....my mom did the same with me and I know that has created a strong basis for me as well as made it my lifestyle rather than something I feel like i have to do.......I totally support it and I think Gym's should as well.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:38 AM

15,118 posts, read 23,866,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gym rat View Post
How do you feel about taking you kids to the gym with you? At the right age and only if they are interested. I take my 13 and 14 year olds and they workout plus I bought them memberships. However, another member bought in her 3 and 5 year olds and they went wild. She was told not to bring them back and then complained about my sons. This lead to her being asked to join another gym. Feedback Please>>>>
Don't they have childcare at your gym? Every gym I've ever gone to has a childcare area. Yes, my children work out at the gym(s) I go to. One of my children is 24 and he is a personal fitness trainer (he trains me) and the other is 14 and on the wrestling team at his high school. Both my kids have been involved in mixed martial arts and jiu jitsu for years and are very into their bodies and working out.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:59 PM

618 posts, read 2,102,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
18? You guys are kidding right? So you aren't allowed to work out when you are in high school? I guess the guys who play football and powerlift in HS are really out of luck then.

?

LOL Wow, I totally forgot about that. Damn... I must be getting old. You're right.

Having said that, there ARE some hardcore, old school gyms I wouldn't want younder kids going to, but that's a whole other story.

Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,129,592 times
Most of the gyms I've been a member of have had some sort of training program that children under 16 must attend before being allowed out on the floor to workout. To qualify for the program, a child must be somewhere around 13 or 14 years old. (It varied with different gyms.) I never found it to be a problem at those gyms. However, I used to workout at a very small gym that allowed children of any age on the floor. Kids played on the treadmills and equipment all the time. I stopped my membership the day I had to wait for a treadmill because a father had come to work out and plopped a child on the treadmill to his left and another on the one on his right. The kids didn't want to be there and were just occupying treadmills while others waited. Did I mention this gym had child care? Guess the parent didn't want to pay.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:48 PM

495 posts, read 1,051,535 times
I go to Planet Fitness, and they have a 13 plus rule. All kids under 16 (I think) must be under adult supervision. I take my gf's daughter (13), but we only do cardio. I don't feel comfortable with her yet on the other equipment and free weights.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,438,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubthang View Post
I go to Planet Fitness, and they have a 13 plus rule. All kids under 16 (I think) must be under adult supervision. I take my gf's daughter (13), but we only do cardio. I don't feel comfortable with her yet on the other equipment and free weights.
I do agree but this is why I wish there were more gyms that provided an area for younger ppl......60 percent of our youth is obese....not overweight but obese! It should not be that way.....that's just plain horrible......if more gyms had programs for children I think we could cut that at least in half......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness