Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 05:03 PM

622 posts, read 3,107,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
What is HIIT?
High intensity interval training.

It is believed to have the same effect as slower, longer cardio sessions but without using up the time. In a nutshell it goes like this... Sprint for 30 seconds and "walk" for 30 seconds, repeat. I'm not sure what the total time should be, but it is definitely less than a regular cardio session. In and out fast, but explosive training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM

471 posts, read 1,504,137 times
I agree with what others have said... make sure you are really hitting the cardio, and then target those arm muscles.

That's great you're doing sit-ups. Those are one of my favorites to do. Challenge yourself when you can, by staying down longer with a pause, not just a quick up and down. I don't think jumping jacks do much for the arms, but probably help with cardio.

A tricep exercise I always feel is this one... lay on your back. (I use 5 lb weights with this.) Start with arms extended, holding weights in the air, then bend (elbows don't move - like this: Video: Triceps extension with dumbbell - MayoClinic.com) where the weights come beside your ears 3 times (3 full extensions). But different from the video, what I really feel, is I pulse in the middle range for 2 sets of 12 (don't go all the way up, just pulse it 12 times twice, with 3 full extensions in between each set.) Then I do that again with 2 sets of 8 pulses, 3 full extensions in between to break it up. You will feel that one, trust me, from a girl who doesn't have flabby arms, this and the sit-ups are a good thing to do. Good luck, keep at it and you'll get there.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:39 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,641,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
High intensity interval training.

It is believed to have the same effect as slower, longer cardio sessions but without using up the time. In a nutshell it goes like this... Sprint for 30 seconds and "walk" for 30 seconds, repeat. I'm not sure what the total time should be, but it is definitely less than a regular cardio session. In and out fast, but explosive training.
Aha, thanks! Never saw the abbreviation before.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
RSH

147 posts, read 257,225 times
I know it sucks but a lot of how our bodies become are because of genetics and calorie input compared to calorie output.I would suggest a routine to try for 6 weeks but I am sure you had enough advice.
never give up and stay away from any quick fix supplements.(I am a certified personal trainer through the group called N.E.S.T.A.)I have worked in gyms before and a lot of bad advice is there just to sell a training session. I could not make a living on giving people a crap routine just so they would keep coming back to line my pockets....best wishes,BH

Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,910,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC64 View Post
For possible future emergencies you may want to leave them alone. You may get caught in a skyscraper fire and need to jump off the top. Them babies open up and "FLOOF" you sail down like a flying squirrel If you don't think this will be a possible necessity then follow some of the wise instructions in the threads above and good luck
Ha..ha...you goof! Funny

anyway, i concur...wise instruction from other posts..

Old 12-18-2008, 08:17 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,418,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angeliqueish View Post
what is the best exercise to loose or at least make my arm a bit thinner? coz you know, i also have big arms. whenever i lose weight, i still looks fat because my arms are still big and as if i haven't lose a pound but in fact i am. i really want my arms to be normal (size). Thanks for your help.
I'm the same way. I weigh 140 at 5' 10" but still look fat because of the large arms. I used to have to buy blouses 2 or 3 sizes too big to get the arms to fit. I do cardio 4 or 5 times a week. The good news is that after the extra weight had been off for about 5 years and I kept exercising, they did shrink. They're still not normal, but at least I only have to buy blouses 1 size too big to fit them.

I think the best way to get arms to shrink is plastic surgery. Wish I could afford it.

Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 AM

968 posts, read 2,580,572 times
pull ups and chin ups FTW!

Not sure if anyone said that yet but thats my $0.02

Old 12-19-2008, 07:45 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times
Add weight-lifting into your exercise routine (real weight-lifting, not pansy woman weight-lifting), and you will see your arms miraculously change. My ex was in great shape from all the biking she did, but she always hated her arms. We got her involved in a comprehensive lifting program (chest/back/triceps/biceps/shoulders/abs/legs) and she love love loved her arms after that!

Old 12-19-2008, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 6,041 times
You can not spot reduce,you must keep your diet strict and cardio,cardio and more cardio while hitting the dumbells. IMO..good luck

Old 12-19-2008, 01:58 PM

44,257 posts, read 64,072,561 times
You can't spot reduce, but if you bulk up a little muscle in those places, you get better definition - and don't worry, women, it's very hard to look 'muscley' or 'un-feminine.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness