Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 03:36 PM

214 posts, read 961,410 times

Advertisements

I've started doing yoga about 2 weeks ago, and I just love it. My only complaint is that my wrists start to kill me about halfway through the class. I know that for beginners this is normal, since you haven't built up a lot of strength in them, but are they supposed to REALLY hurt?

Its more pain than discomfort for me, and they hurt for about a day after the class. Is there anything I can do to combat this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 03:53 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Depending on the stability and strength of the surrounding muscles and ligaments, for some people in the beginning, yes, your wrists may really hurt both during and after class. It could be because of improper positioning or unequal weight distribution during some poses, low strength and stability of the wrist, or a combination of all. In the beginning, I dreaded downward facing dog. After awhile, you will build strength. Do they start hurting at all during class or does it only happen the next day?

To combat it, wrist stretches, Advil, or a warm compress with or without Epsom Salt.

Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 PM

Usually they will start hurt during class, then continue on through the next day

Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,338,160 times
Massage your wrists mostly and your hands daily.
Also get a rubber ball and squeeze on it. It will help build the muscles in the hand/wrist area.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:57 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Right now, your wrists are bearing all your weight. As your shoulders, back and upper arms strengthen, the wrists won't be taking the brunt of your poses. This, too, shall pass ... Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Try focusing the pressure on your muscles instead of letting it drop down to your wrists.....you'll find that your abs and arms and legs will burn more than your wrists if you do this. You might also want to try support gloves....they sell them everywhere I think I got mine at Target.....they're simple gloves with wrist support typically made strictly for Yoga but any type of wrist support gloves should work.

Good Luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 02:02 PM

Thank you lola, ohiogirl, anadyr and song for the great advice! I am definitely going to try your recommendations!

Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,863,194 times
Elyse,
Congrats on starting into yoga - its a great way to get more limber, fit, and feel more peaceful.

Are there certain poses that are making your wrists hurt? Down Dog? Chaturanga (up dog)?

In these poses, you want to make sure you spread your hands and make sure your full hand is holding and stabilizing your weight - the heel of your hand, each knuckle, etc.

Anady gives some good advice. Put your mat up close to your teacher and ask her/him to see if you have any technique issues causing your wrist pain.

Regardless, never push yourself into a pose to the point of pain. Find the "intelligent edge" each time and don't be in a hurry to do any asana perfectly. Do your best and fill the bucket one drop at a time.

Namaste,

XP

Old 09-29-2008, 09:08 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse Margardino View Post
Usually they will start hurt during class, then continue on through the next day
Start taking the Advil before class and whenever you start to feel your wrists hurt during class, go into Child's Pose. Downward facing dog tends to be one of the most stressful on the wrists and a popular lead into other poses and it's not uncommon to see a lot of beginners in Child's Pose while everyone else is in another pose.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:46 PM

471 posts, read 1,508,563 times
You may want to consider yoga might not be the thing for you. I tried it, a few classes at a gym and a couple dvds at home, and decided it's not for me. My wrists didn't feel so great either. My mom has arthritis and I don't care to do anything that might lead me down that path. I have small hands too. Some people just have bigger, stronger hands. It makes sense to try and rely on all the other muscles in your body, but when it comes down to it, you are putting all your weight on your hands a lot. My hands are the weakest part of me. It just wasn't worth it to me, or that enjoyable, and I'd rather spend most of my exercise time on cardio and weights. And I wouldn't want to be taking advil regularly. I hope though, since you do enjoy yoga, that you find what works for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness