U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM

758 posts, read 2,360,836 times

Advertisements

So I took most of the summer off from strength training partially because I was so busy (wedding, honeymoon, loooots of work travel) and partially because I switch over to hiking/tennis/kayaking etc. It's fall now so back to the weights.

I went at it hard for about 3 years, and shuffled around my routine but overall I've become pretty bored with my workouts. I work out at home and so am slightly limited, but I have a basic dumbell set, barbell, curl bar with preacher curl rack, dips setup. Can anyone offer any good alternatives to the excercises I normally do or ever offer critiques on what my current routine? Everything listed is not my normal routine, just the workouts that I have been doing in the past in different combos. FYI, I'm 6'2 and 185 lbs...the lean, longs, cut build...definitely not the weightlifter type.

Chest:
Bench press- barbell or dumbells, incline and flat (my bench won't do decline unfortunately)
Chest flys- incline and normal
Close grip bench (I know, as much tri as chest)

Biceps:

Preacher curls, hammer curls, zotman curls, sometimes reverse grip curls for forearms

Tris:
skull crushers, dips, close grip, kickbacks (hate this workout).

Shoulders
:
I do combo of various should flys in different grips and then finish with dumbell military press.

As for back, abs, and lower body, I'll take any suggestions. Admittedly, I haven't focused on them much and need to start.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,523,008 times
For shoulders look up ''the arnold shoulder press'' good for the entire arm and shoulder.For abs look up ''planks''. For back you have a reverse fly =lie on 30-40 degree incline bench BELLY AND CHEST against bench lift up dumbs outward[reverse fly] also ''rows'' for back.If you can get a pull up bar and do close grip military pullups with palms facing each other ..would be nice,that works core along with exploding the bi's ! and lower body and legs=squats!!!! also use a weight belt when doing dips to kick it up a notch...also if you can do leg lifts on the dip unit with ankle weights on is always fun..I have more...I'm thinking?..... Your workout seems o'k ...But it lacks core training! so dont waste a day working a muscle the size of a apple,when you build/work the whole body..squats,deads,weighted dips,weighted pullups,benching...are you looking to add some mass?

Old 09-30-2008, 12:45 PM

622 posts, read 2,752,182 times
Looks like you're doing too much volume. I would drop at least one exrcise on the back end of each bodypart and maybe add sets if needed to the first exercises. I'm your height and a lot heavier but do roughly half the volume you do. It's possible that your intenisity is not as high as needed. Maybe that's why the volume is higher.

Barbell bent row for back
Deadlift

^^Those two will add a ton of muscle to your frame. Heavy sets and keep up the intenisty.

I'm an advocate of that kind of training, so I'll also include DB slight inlcine bench press and dips for chest. Again, go heavy or go home. Wait, you are home? hmmm, OK then stay there! lol

Squats and stiff legged deadlifts That's all you need for a while.

Shoulders- db press as your starting movement, then either side laterals or bent laterals added on to that as well.

Tris- skulls crushers, dips

EZ bar curls and possibly one other movement. Maybe db or preachers. that's it. EAT enough, lift heAVY AND YO'LL GROW LIKE CRAZY ON THIS.

oops caps, sorry

Old 09-30-2008, 12:51 PM

4,589 posts, read 11,249,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
For shoulders look up ''the arnold shoulder press'' good for the entire arm and shoulder.For abs look up ''planks''. For back you have a reverse fly =lie on 30-40 degree incline bench BELLY AND CHEST against bench lift up dumbs outward[reverse fly] also ''rows'' for back.If you can get a pull up bar and do close grip military pullups with palms facing each other ..would be nice,that works core along with exploding the bi's ! and lower body and legs=squats!!!! also use a weight belt when doing dips to kick it up a notch...also if you can do leg lifts on the dip unit with ankle weights on is always fun..I have more...I'm thinking?..... Your workout seems o'k ...But it lacks core training! so dont waste a day working a muscle the size of a apple,when you build/work the whole body..squats,deads,weighted dips,weighted pullups,benching...are you looking to add some mass?

Hey genious Core strength is accomplished by balance and increasing your awareness of your "core"......it's an awesome way to ensure proper function and also to limit injury....I'm glad you brought that up

Old 09-30-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Hey genious Core strength is accomplished by balance and increasing your awareness of your "core"......it's an awesome way to ensure proper function and also to limit injury....I'm glad you brought that up
WOW.....WE AGREE!! holy cow...your the best lori

Old 09-30-2008, 01:20 PM

I am a genius not a ''genious''.....but I still luv ya.IT always sucks to spell that word wrong of all words.....lol

Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 PM

good stuff jersey...I didnt know if he was out for some mass or maint.?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:31 PM

I"M outta here you folks have a good nite!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:37 PM

758 posts, read 2,360,836 times
I know it wasn't very clear, but I'm not actually doing ALL those exercises for a routine...that is just a list of the exercises that I do at varying times. I usually do about 3 exercises per muscle group in sets of 10. I do probably do a little too much volume sometimes and I will definitely admit that my intensity has been lacking since I started working out at home and without a partner. I need to pick it up.

As for building mass, I'd love to put a little on but my body absolutely hates gaining any kind of weight or muscle mass. I look MUCH better now than before I started lifting but I'm always going to be the tall skinny type. That said, I definitely don't care about toning, if I gain an ounce of muscle it will show.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:19 PM

622 posts, read 2,752,182 times
OK Got it, fishn. You seem to be on course. Just eat more and you'll gain. Every 3 hours. Even if it's a protein shake and or a couple of spoonfuls of (all natural) peanut butter. If you feel like you're gaining too much fat, then just back off a little until you're in the sweet spot. Shouldn't be a problem for your body type. I hate to see hard work go unrewarded. You need to eat. EAT. lol good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness