Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:54 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,297,142 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about taking some sort of dance class somewhere. I'll admit, I'm a closet DWTS fan (sshh, don't tell ANYONE ), but it's always been an interest of mine. I took tap/jazz lessons years ago and really liked it (would have LOVED it if it hadn't been for the wicked uncomfortable tap shoes!). oh, and I've been known to play DDR when an arcade is fairly empty!

right now, I'm really out of shape and could stand to lose a lot of weight, though I do a lot of walking, so I'm not too out of shape. I also have an iffy ankle from a past hiking incident (ok 95% of the time, but it does like to act up sometimes). I'm also pretty sure I have no rhythm . looking for an easy to learn, fun, dance class that won't have me wearing leotards, 5 inch heels, surrounded by Julliard drop outs, or being tossed in the air by anyone (unless that anyone is built like Mario Lopez ). any ideas what type of dance to take? anyone have success w/ losing a lot of weight and getting toned via dance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 06:03 PM

7,394 posts, read 19,286,820 times
Two things that have helped me and still helping me.
Dress however you want, put on some music with a great beat and get moving. Jump and move around. This can turn into a good cardio and fun workout. Don't worry about rhythem, just move to the music.
Secondly, take some classes in bellydancing. It's done in your bare feet. It isolates muscles and helps with the toning of them. If you cannot find a class near you, get a dvd. I would recommend Amiras beginning bellydance dvd. She walks you through some of the basic moves.
The rhythem for this kind of dance may or may not happen with practice (Depends on the person)
I do it and at times, I flow better than other times but learning the moves and isolating different muscle groups will help you tone.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,935,261 times
I compete in ballroom (all four styles - Latin, American Rhythm, American Smooth and International Standard). I am thin and this is one of the reasons why. Dance is an excellent cardio workout. You don't have to be born with rhythm and it's okay to have two left feet. You have to be taught to dance like this - nobody is born naturally knowing all the steps and how to dance. Type USA Dance or USABDA into your browser and look for the chapter nearest you and find some dance classes and social dances. You will not only lose weight and have fun while doing it, but you will meet a lot of really nice people. I highly recommend it!

Old 10-08-2008, 08:58 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,853,109 times
Very good advice so far on this thread. My wife has been competing in ballroom dance since she was a child and is in phenomenal shape. If you can find a place that teaches (not Arthur Murray) you should try it. Although, I dont think there are any places that have as hardcore fitness routines as what my wife had in Russia but still you may get a good workout by dancing for 1.5 - 2 hrs.

Bellydancing is also another great way to use muscles that you never knew you had. Camels, undulations, shimmys are all great exercises that will help get you toned. Bellydance is pretty much being taught at all dance studios. You should try that as well. There are also some really good DVDs from "Veena and Neena" and "jillina" that are great for shaping and toning. Try them out and good luck.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM

DaBeez - who is your wife? I probably know her! You can PM me.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:56 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,379,282 times
Have you tried stepping:

Chicago SteppersExpress

Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,938,993 times
Or Carolina Shag?! Similar to Swing, but so much fun, and the music is super great!
Actually, any movement you do will benefit you! Go for it!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Or Carolina Shag?! Similar to Swing, but so much fun, and the music is super great!
Actually, any movement you do will benefit you! Go for it!
Carolina Shag is not just "similar" to swing - it IS a swing dance!

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,297,142 times
thanks for the ideas guys! I'm gonna have to look into ballroom dancing, sounds interesting. will check out the others too (doesn't hurt to learn more than one!). I may check to see if my school offers any beginner dance classes

Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,938,993 times
Well--Shag is a bit different from swing--no upper body motion to speak of, but it's fun, nevertheless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness