U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM

4 posts, read 14,449 times
Default Males and spinning class question

Is it common for males to injure their penis while spinning? Hubby started spinning class about a month ago and he has a spot that gets red and looks like the skin has been rubbed off it. Is this normal? If so, is there anything to do to prevent this type of injury?

He's wearing his regular underwear (boxer briefs) and a pair of lined swim trunks to class.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 06:43 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,970,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee41 View Post
Is it common for males to injure their penis while spinning? Hubby started spinning class about a month ago and he has a spot that gets red and looks like the skin has been rubbed off it. Is this normal? If so, is there anything to do to prevent this type of injury?

He's wearing his regular underwear (boxer briefs) and a pair of lined swim trunks to class.

Thanks.
I would go to a good cycle shop to see if they can fix his problem with a seat cover thing of special crotch gear?

Old 10-28-2008, 07:30 AM

Thanks. We'll see if we can find a seat cover where we live.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM

1,824 posts, read 2,889,549 times
Wear bicycling shorts or pants with gel padding for extra support.

Performance Bike - Search Results for shorts

Bike Nashbar.com - Clothing - Men's

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 AM

930 posts, read 1,733,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLee41 View Post

Thanks.
Ouch. I don't spin, but I do bike a lot. And I can honestly say, there's a good reason we bikers wear spandex, and its not because it looks hot. Loose fabric that in normal life is no problem becomes a serious source of friction when doing something with repetitive motion like cycling. Assuming spinning stationary bikes are set up similarly seat wise to regular bikes, I would get your hubby a pair of REAL spandex bike shorts, with the rear-end padding. His junk will thank you!

Old 10-28-2008, 09:57 AM

But that looks so thick through the stride. Jahutch or lchoro, is there a particular pair/brand you recommend? The bikes in spin class look to be set up similarly seat wise to regular bikes.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 2,889,549 times
They conform to your shape. The chamois and gel insert (if any) will provide protection of the groin region. The spandex shorts will prevent chafing of the legs.

I would order one of their $20 shorts. They don't have gel inserts. Some people prefer just the chamois padding since they're lighter. Gel provides more protection.

Performance Classic Short @ Performance Bicycle

Local bike shops will usually carry Pearl Izumi or Cannondale clothing. They may cost more.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:15 PM

3,832 posts, read 7,508,021 times
Pearl's all the way. Problem solved.

I'm a little confused about how the 'twig' is getting involved in this situation. Usually it's the berries and/or prostate region that have issues.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:25 AM

I'm not sure why the "twig" is involved either, but apparently his clothing is rubbing the wrong way. It appears when he's sitting on the bike that his clothing is bunching up around the top side of his body and with all the standing/sitting it's causing some rubbing. We're going to check out the bike shorts. Can't hurt his bottom at all and may even help the "twig".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness