Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 PM

9,519 posts, read 16,496,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
All,
Saw a doc today, Patellar Femoral Syndrome w/ anterior knee pain is the official diagnosis. Naproxene (Spelling?), which I won't take, and 8 weeks of gradual reintroduction to my workout routine, with some leg exercises much like what have been described on this forum. I'm very upset. I just got to this place in my life where I like working out instead of dreading it, I crave it. Scalling back is making me very sad!
I suffered from that also, as well as chronic foot problems that became any knee problems known to man. I developed knee problems after being fitted for Orthotics for flat feet. Believe me you do not want to fool around with your knees. It is better to take time off and heal than aggravate them. Reason being knees are just about the most delicate part of the body. I abused mine, I would never let them heal and then had to deal with surgury. My best advice is for right now try the Eliptical, or the bike and even those activities can aggravate the knees. I had to resort to swimming and I became a very proficient swimmer though my heart was always in running. I found I just had to give up the running, it was better to do that, than have a life of not even be able to walk around without knee pain. Give some other activities a try for awhile and see how it goes. I always had to use ice packs to relieve the inflammation since I could not take naproxen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 10:24 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,611,405 times
I am speaking from experience. Get it checked out now. Don't wait. The sooner the better. If you catch knees in the early stages, sometimes something can be done. If you let it go, it could be a major problem later.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 PM

74 posts, read 141,820 times
What's the deal with orthotics and knee problems? Maybe that's what's happened to me. Wouldn't the orthotics line up the leg and spine properly? I had mine made professionally by an MD for $500. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,760,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
I'm 27, have been running on/off for about 6 years. Nothing too serious. Never more than 3 miles, 3 times a week. I've started playing tennis a few times a week (probably where the problem is coming from).
I stretch, and all that good stuff.

My knees hurt constantly. It's the front of my knee that hurts, right under my knee caps. It's kinda like a throbing pain. No swelling, redness, or heat.

They hurt horribly. I was at the grocery store and had to sit down they hurt so bad. Walking and standing are causing the pain.

It's not constant, only after 2 or more hours of walking/standing.

When I bend them, I feel instant relief. I was at a concert the other night, standing room only, and thought I was going to fall over from the pain. I ended up kneeling on the floor for a few minutes, and the pain was gone, until I stood up again?

Any ideas? Any particular knee braces I could try?

I can't stop running, it's a requirement for work. I've done a two week tennis hiatus, and that wasn't much help.

Thanks!
You probably want to get an MRI. I have a similar issue with my knees that is due to wearing of the cartiledge behind my kneecap. Any weight exercise will aggravate that condition. I'd get it checked out before I adopted any new workout regime.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetweenYouMeAndTheLampost View Post
What's the deal with orthotics and knee problems? Maybe that's what's happened to me. Wouldn't the orthotics line up the leg and spine properly? I had mine made professionally by an MD for $500. Thanks.
Was it made by a podiatrist (not an MD) or an orthopedic surgeon (MD)?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM

9,519 posts, read 16,496,228 times
Quote:
Yes they are very expensive and all I know is from the very first moment I ran in them the knee problem started. Within 2 weeks I had major knee problems. I think much of it comes from the Podiatrist not doing his job properly and not heeding the pleas of the patient concerning the new problem, the knees. I only got orthotics to help with the foot problems I had developed from flat feet. I have found thru the years many people do not get the relief they need from orthotics and like me suffer from new problems directly related to the Orthotics. They are extremely expensive and I don't completely recommend them for some people.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes they are very expensive and all I know is from the very first moment I ran in them the knee problem started. Within 2 weeks I had major knee problems. I think much of it comes from the Podiatrist not doing his job properly and not heeding the pleas of the patient concerning the new problem, the knees. I only got orthotics to help with the foot problems I had developed from flat feet. I have found thru the years many people do not get the relief they need from orthotics and like me suffer from new problems directly related to the Orthotics. They are extremely expensive and I don't completely recommend them for some people.
Keep in mind that a podiatrist is not a physician. A podiatrist is like a dentist (only less legitimate - dental science is very much an established and necessary field); he or she did not go to medical school, did not study in a residency or fellowship and is not a surgeon. A dentist can complete an oral surgery residency and practice medicine as an oral surgeon, a podiatrist can complete a residency and practice medicine as a podiatric surgeon. While I'm sure that there are good podiatrists out there somewhere, my knee-jerk reaction is to equate podiatrist with quack. Their stock in trade is basically to blanket prescribe shoe inserts for any ailment.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM

74 posts, read 141,820 times
I'll have to jog my memory for his name, but since Premera Blue Cross paid for half, I imagine he was "approved." I'm gonna be really pissed off if my knee problem was created by orthodics. I had painful plantar fash--whatever it's called--the orthodics relieved that condition. Hmmmmmm........

Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
I'll have to jog my memory for his name, but since Premera Blue Cross paid for half, I imagine he was "approved." I'm gonna be really pissed off if my knee problem was created by orthodics. I had painful plantar fash--whatever it's called--the orthodics relieved that condition. Hmmmmmm........
Plantar fasciitis was corrected with orthotic inserts???

Old 12-02-2008, 08:15 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,218,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Plantar fasciitis was corrected with orthotic inserts???
Use of orthotics is a legitimate way to treat plantar fasciitis and I have seen many patients helped with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness