Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 06:01 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,199,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
lol.....have you ever done the eliptical? I think it definitly gives you better transfer as far as biking.....unless your a roadie....I mountain bike and the eliptical has a HUGE impact on my stamina and leg strength.....
Yeah I primarily road bike, though I have a mountain bike too... and want to get a cyclocross bike for things like the C&O canal trial. Yeah, I'm hopeless . But, maybe I'll have to try the elliptical after all. Or, in the past, I've done like 15min of each. I'll figure it out. I may just end up swimming some, and biking when its warm enough, because those are things I Actually enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
Jonathan -

Thanks for all the info dude! I appreciate it. I hear you on the rest stuff. I've actually made progress before lifting only twice a week, full body, for 30 minutes or so. Short, highly intense workouts. So yeah, I think the focus on volume, particularly in the bodybuilding community, is a little misplaced. Unless you are roided up or something, some of the 6 day per week workout routines I see advocated are just nonsense.

What I am looking at doing is probably something like this:

Monday: Upper + cardio.
Tuesday: Lower body and back.
Wednesday: Cardio or rest depending on how I feel.
Thursday: Upper
Friday: Lower body and back.
Sat or Sunday: Cardio.

So, each muscle group should have effectively 2 days of relative rest before being worked again. And if I feel tired / worn out, I can dial it back to 3x a week.

I also hear you on the sport-specific training. Its kind of crazy how little things translate. One summer when I did a lot of swimming, I got quite good (I was on swim team waaay back) - but I still just DIED when running. Course, I've never been a runner - when I do it everything hurts - knees, hips, everything - so I just tend to avoid it except on rare occasions . Biking is my thing these days, so I'd like what cardio I do somehow translate to that so I can work up to longer rides - which is why I'll probably stick with the stationary bikes as opposed to elliptical when I'm forced to do cardio at the gym.

You also mentioned martial arts. I may look into tai-chi (real tai-chi, not the glorified standing yoga some people advertise as tai-chi) at some point. I figure that would be good for flexibility, and possibly muscle recovery as well. If I add that in, I may have to drop the lifting to 3x a week, but that's fine .

Oh, and a 1100lb leg press? Good lord man. You got treetrunks down there, or legs? That's impressive.

Anyway I'm rambling now, so I'll be quiet .
Yeah my legs are kind of ridiculous, haha, honestly it surprised even me. I used to love hurdles and long jump when I was younger, so I knew I had strong legs, but I didn't ever know they had so much potential until I started doing leg workouts and then kept on moving up the weight with leg presses. I remember I started at just a 45 on each side, then next week two on each side, next week 3, then 4, then 5, then 6, and then I went about 10 weeks at that weight. Then the next week after that 7, next week 8, next week 9, next week 10. It really took me very little time to go from just one 45 on each side to 10, and then I ended up eventually trying up to 23 45 pound plates on that machine. You know it's bad when you start wondering if the machine is going to hold up to the weight you are putting on it

Yeah it's a shame Tai Chi has been completely embarrassed by so many New Age idiots waving their hands around and calling it Tai Chi. Not even CLOSE, Tai Chi is a hardcore martial art, and if you've seen Jet Li's The Tai Chi Master you know it's about butt-kicking not hand-waving LOL.

I don't blame you for avoiding running, I don't run either, in general if you are jogging it seems to burn very few calories compared to the elliptical, which is surprising because it sure is a lot more tiring, but whatever. And the various joint paints aren't worth being in good cardio shape, honestly, haha.

Your workout idea looks good, hopefully all goes well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness