Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:29 PM

151 posts, read 522,269 times

Advertisements

Remember that whey protein is not some holy grail. For example, there is evidence that casein protein is at least equaly as good for gaining muscle. Eat a balanced diet that also includes good sources of carbs, such as vegetables, fruits, and whole grains, and good fats.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:47 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,129,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by first one View Post
Remember that whey protein is not some holy grail. For example, there is evidence that casein protein is at least equaly as good for gaining muscle. Eat a balanced diet that also includes good sources of carbs, such as vegetables, fruits, and whole grains, and good fats.
As this is true and this is what I personally do you have to assess each individual's needs and current status's. He obviously isn't getting enough protein so instead of limiting his options it's better to help him with whichever means necissary. Whey protein can be a great supplement especially if someone's DCI has consistently been at a deficit.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM

1,229 posts, read 2,904,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I am 6'0 and 150 lbs. I am skinny but have alot of muscle and good abs. I would like to gain some weight maybe to 190 and still maintain my muscle and tone. Which would be more practical both financially and physically to use, Weight Gainer or Whey Protein? I work out everyday for 4 hours so I really cant gain weight as easily as others. I am on a $50 week budget for food so it is hard for me to eat regular meals plus supplements. I was thinking of buying a 5lb bucket of 920 calorie serving weight gainer that includes alot protein and mixing it with skim milk and just eat this. I figure with the calories, protein, and vitamins it wont be unhealthy or dangerous, any insight?
HEY BUD ! I would go with the Gainer,Like Jersey said ...It is filled with some bad stuff like high carbs and sugar..SO? you want mass right,so go for it !! sugar,carbs are ok when you are looking to add 40 lbs of slab !! and trash the skim milk and add real milk..come on guy !! you want 40 lbs of mass ..you better restucture you eating and workouts. Eat More and workout Less....simple ! opposite of trying to lose weight ! add 4 scoops of gainer in a milk p.butter ,ice cream shake and pack it on!!! stop with the girly stuff !!lol...good luck.. I forgot to add that gainer has much more amino's opposed to whey only!!

Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,129,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happycamper5 View Post
HEY BUD ! I would go with the Gainer,Like Jersey said ...It is filled with some bad stuff like high carbs and sugar..SO? you want mass right,so go for it !! sugar,carbs are ok when you are looking to add 40 lbs of slab !! and trash the skim milk and add real milk..come on guy !! you want 40 lbs of mass ..you better restucture you eating and workouts. Eat More and workout Less....simple ! opposite of trying to lose weight ! add 4 scoops of gainer in a milk p.butter ,ice cream shake and pack it on!!! stop with the girly stuff !!lol...good luck.. I forgot to add that gainer has much more amino's opposed to whey only!!
hahaha...your back so now I can disagree with ya'

If he were simply trying to build himself up before he breaks himself down I'd say your right on however, since he will be entering bootcamp i'd have to advise against this as sometimes the bigger they are the harder they fall in the military...especially bootcamp....he needs to increase his stamina...he's going to need it

Old 12-16-2008, 12:07 PM

You Guys are right !! I missed the whole Bootcamp thing.My way would add some fat and make him sluggish....But still He aint going to gain 40lbs any other way...thats alot of poundage ! and will NEVER happen with his workouts and ''skim milk''.....no?

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
I just went to wal-mart and bought $60 of whey, tuna, whole bread, Milk, Pasta, and Oats. But how can Whey put weight on me if it doesnt contain much calories?
Whey is not a weight gainer ! thats why...It helps reduce weight actually ! all it is ....is a purest form of milk.cheese protein. which aides in the recovery and building block for new muscle.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM

45 posts, read 170,092 times
Get a good, quality weight gainer. But dont rely on it to gain your weight. If you consume 2500-3000 calories a day in whole food and use 2 Gainer shakes (1 AM and 1 PM) that should push you to 4500-5000 a day.

If you really want to grow, eating has to be your job.

Also, youre on the wrong forum if you want solid advice on this matter. There are many other very good forums out there that specialize in Bodybuilding that would help you out a bit more than here at CD.

Oh, and McDonalds Double Cheeseburgers will help too!

Just my 2 cents,
IRBS

Old 12-16-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRBS View Post
Get a good, quality weight gainer. But dont rely on it to gain your weight. If you consume 2500-3000 calories a day in whole food and use 2 Gainer shakes (1 AM and 1 PM) that should push you to 4500-5000 a day.

If you really want to grow, eating has to be your job.

Also, youre on the wrong forum if you want solid advice on this matter. There are many other very good forums out there that specialize in Bodybuilding that would help you out a bit more than here at CD.

Oh, and McDonalds Double Cheeseburgers will help too!

Just my 2 cents,
IRBS
Wow 5000 cals. for a 150 lb guy !! that will Deff. do it !! he will not be able to get off the chair ,but he'll gain...lol

Old 12-16-2008, 01:47 PM

105 posts, read 578,509 times
Avoid weight gainers, the first day i took 3 scoops of it (because I was inexperienced and thought it was protein) I saw the fat in my stomach increase.

The best protein I find is IsoSensation 93. Isolate protein is good if you can afford it, it makes you bulk up muscle wise, and if you eat a balanced diet (alot) then you will become more thick. When you work out, if you are cut, instead of doing less weight with alot of reps, do more weight with less reps. This will result in power and strength and ultimately a bigger body.

However if you're looking to add fat (which is kinda odd, just bulk up muscle wise IMO) then whatever you can add fat to, add. Add more cheese than normal to your foods, eat white bread not whole wheat, drink homo milk instead of 2%, etc.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:30 PM

45 posts, read 170,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningbachk View Post
Avoid weight gainers, the first day i took 3 scoops of it (because I was inexperienced and thought it was protein) I saw the fat in my stomach increase.

The best protein I find is IsoSensation 93. Isolate protein is good if you can afford it, it makes you bulk up muscle wise, and if you eat a balanced diet (alot) then you will become more thick. When you work out, if you are cut, instead of doing less weight with alot of reps, do more weight with less reps. This will result in power and strength and ultimately a bigger body.

However if you're looking to add fat (which is kinda odd, just bulk up muscle wise IMO) then whatever you can add fat to, add. Add more cheese than normal to your foods, eat white bread not whole wheat, drink homo milk instead of 2%, etc.
LOL, there is no way that you would see added fat in your belly after 3 scoops.

You cant "bulk up" without adding fat. It is not possible for you to gain weight and 100% of it be lean muscle (well, its possible, but since you are asking this question I will venture a guess and say its not possible for you). The only way your body will add weight is for you to take in a surplus of calories. Not all of those calories will go to muscle growth. Some will be stored for future use. How does your body store enery? By converting it to fat to be used later.

Like I said above, if you want real advice, you should find a different forum to ask these questions. Most of the people here are your average people who dont know what they are talking about with regard to health, fitness and diet...see the post above for proof...

Last edited by El Rhino; 12-16-2008 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: personal attacks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness