Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 07:54 AM

314 posts, read 1,275,424 times

Advertisements

if you workout first thing in the morning...

I'm needing to get back into running, but the only time I really have is first thing in the morning. Just not sure if I can do the 5 am thing or not.

just wondering, do many of you regularly get up crazy early to run or workout or whatever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 08:20 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,933,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
if you workout first thing in the morning...

I'm needing to get back into running, but the only time I really have is first thing in the morning. Just not sure if I can do the 5 am thing or not.

just wondering, do many of you regularly get up crazy early to run or workout or whatever?
I get up pretty early to swim--about 5 (I need coffee and some solitude before I get in the car, it's an 8 minute drive).
The rec center heated pool opens at 6am, and that's when I'm there signing in.
It can be a busy place; getting there early guarantees me a lane.

At first I had to *make* myself go out into the cold dark morning.
These days, it has become a need--I feel the lack if I don't do it.

During the summer, I am able to swim at the YMCA pool, which doesn't open until 7, but is a 5 minute walk from my house.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,876,775 times
I usually try to get to the gym to do my cardio at 5:00am when they open. But, it varies depending on the type of workout Im into at that time. If its nice outside, I'll go a little later but instead going to the gym I'll go to the park or on a trail somewhere.

Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,198,510 times
I love the early morning for working out because its just you and the birds. Makes you REALLY awake for the rest of your day too. Whats the big deal with 5 am..what time do you go to bed? Getting the correct amount of sleep is part of fitness/health.

Other than that I think you are a big baby because 5 is when WORK starts for a lot of people.
;P

(Yes I am joking with you but really think about it. Its not impossible or extreme in the least to be up and out the door by 5am)

Old 12-27-2008, 11:07 AM

1,776 posts, read 3,997,552 times
I try to be to the gym no later than 6:30. This usually means being up at least an hour before that. I love working out early in the morning, because it's like a jolt to your body to get churning. You feel better throughout the day, metabolism is at top speed, and at night, you are ready to fall right asleep, to start it over again.

I also hate going after work. After work, I want to go home and chill. The last thing I want to do is compete for a bench during the gym's peak hours. In the AM, only serious people are there; it's less of the social club some gyms can become.

I belong to 2 gyms- one on the way to work, and one down the street from work. If I can't get up in the morning or can't make it for any other reason, I'll go during lunchtime. Fortunately I have a pretty flexible group that enables me to do this; some of them also go themselves, so it makes it easier. I try to avoid going at night at all costs.

Old 12-27-2008, 12:11 PM

535 posts, read 1,737,832 times
I used to wake up at 4:15, have some coffee then head to the gym at 5:30am when it opens. About a month ago I slept in and woke up at 5:30. Walked into the gym at 6:15 and as I was pulling in I noticed a lot of the folks I saw there at 5:30am were leaving. So...I've been arriving there at 6:15am. The cardio stuff is busy but the free weight area is open except for a few people who stop in and toss around a 5# barbell before moving on.

I've always been a morning person though, I know folks who cannot get up early if they have to. I go early because it's a nice way to start the day and it's the only time I can guarantee to make it. I travel a lot for work and if I don't work out before work there is no way I can head out during lunch time.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:41 AM

314 posts, read 1,275,424 times
yes, I admit, I am a baby.

I do get up pretty early, 530 or so, but thats usually to watch tv and have a cup of coffee before the day starts. ...hoping to change that to working out or something...

Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 AM

10 posts, read 50,563 times
working out first thing in the morning is the best for ur metabolism

Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 50,563 times
Default gym

have a small bfst and hit the gym! itll keep ur metabolism up allll day

Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 AM

9 posts, read 27,278 times
If you are cutting/toning (which I don't know why you would be in the winter but w/e)... you want to hit the gym at around 6:30 (to ensure enough muscle recovery) and hit cardio, empty stomach w/coffee.

A buddy of mine was an award winning body building and this was his advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness