U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 2,587,151 times
Reputation: 800

Advertisements

Obesity is expensive. A meal at Mickey D's may cost you $3.99. It sounds cheap, but in the end the it incurs cost on your health and your life.

Fresh, whole foods are pretty cheap, and while it may 'cost' you in terms of time and attention to cook, you'll save in so many ways.

Prepackaged, processed food costs usuallly more anyway. The more 'complete' it is, the more it will cost you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,918,845 times
Reputation: 10491
Really, all you people here who are saying that "poverty does not cause obesity, its actually the reverse" need to ALL get your head examined. Could it possibly be that you are all fat/obese yourselves and dont want to be lumped in with those who are poverty stricken?

I see with my own eyes here. You can drive by any school in the poorer areas and look at the students, the majority of them are in fact FAT/OBESE. Then drive to a more affluent area and notice that you almost do not see ANY student who is fat/obese. There may be other contributing factors of course, but bottom line is that people in poorer areas ARE IN FACT MORE OBESE than those in more affluent areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
 
Location: SUNNY AZ
4,589 posts, read 8,906,463 times
Reputation: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Really, all you people here who are saying that "poverty does not cause obesity, its actually the reverse" need to ALL get your head examined. Could it possibly be that you are all fat/obese yourselves and dont want to be lumped in with those who are poverty stricken?

I see with my own eyes here. You can drive by any school in the poorer areas and look at the students, the majority of them are in fact FAT/OBESE. Then drive to a more affluent area and notice that you almost do not see ANY student who is fat/obese. There may be other contributing factors of course, but bottom line is that people in poorer areas ARE IN FACT MORE OBESE than those in more affluent areas.
i'm sorry sweetie, I really like ya'.......but your soooooo way off base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:08 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 2,587,151 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Really, all you people here who are saying that "poverty does not cause obesity, its actually the reverse" need to ALL get your head examined. Could it possibly be that you are all fat/obese yourselves and dont want to be lumped in with those who are poverty stricken?

I see with my own eyes here. You can drive by any school in the poorer areas and look at the students, the majority of them are in fact FAT/OBESE. Then drive to a more affluent area and notice that you almost do not see ANY student who is fat/obese. There may be other contributing factors of course, but bottom line is that people in poorer areas ARE IN FACT MORE OBESE than those in more affluent areas.

That's not true man... I would say a poor diet does influence childhood obesity, and in poorer areas it happens more, but in those affluent areas some of the kids may have more but are eating the same junk as their poorer peers. And since the richer ones have more of the modern technologies and conveniences, they may be less active than a poorer kid who may be more physically active because his only option may be to play outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,918,845 times
Reputation: 10491
I disagree with you guys. Maybe you guys have a mental picture of the "fat rich guy smoking a cigar and eating steak" in your heads. But I am thinking of children who are in whatever physical shape they are in based on how their parents feed/take care of them. I have noticed this for the past few years.

I was a Little League Baseball coach for my son for a few years at Encino Little League which is a very affluent community, and do you know that in the four years I coached I only seen TWO kids who were overweight/obese!! Thats TWO out of 1200 - 1500 at least each year. Then, heading over to LA where my mother was a LAUSD teacher for years and I volunteer, I see maybe (a guess) 75% of the students overweight/obese!! Well more than half!!! The wealthy kids - healthy, the poorer kids - fat.

I use kids as an example because they, unlike adults eat what is provided to them by their parents. Adults on the other hand, should know better about eating right and exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 2,587,151 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I disagree with you guys. Maybe you guys have a mental picture of the "fat rich guy smoking a cigar and eating steak" in your heads. But I am thinking of children who are in whatever physical shape they are in based on how their parents feed/take care of them. I have noticed this for the past few years.

I was a Little League Baseball coach for my son for a few years at Encino Little League which is a very affluent community, and do you know that in the four years I coached I only seen TWO kids who were overweight/obese!! Thats TWO out of 1200 - 1500 at least each year. Then, heading over to LA where my mother was a LAUSD teacher for years and I volunteer, I see maybe (a guess) 75% of the students
overweight/obese!! Well more than half!!! The wealthy kids - healthy, the poorer kids - fat.

I use kids as an example because they, unlike adults eat what is provided to them by their parents. Adults on the other hand, should know better about eating right and exercising.
It might be regional, at least in LA your seasons are not as extreme, so you have more to do outdoors. When you are inside due to weather and cabin fever hits, there's more chance you'll be eating worse. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, and it's the center of a group of different neighborhoods. You have a small pocket of 'hood', on one side, an even nicer neighborhood to another, and a more middle class area on another. I also have the experience of growing up in North Philly- HOOD- so I'm not going on what I hear as an outsider, it's what I experienced. I see obesity in all of the areas. I do agree that generally more affluent kids do seem to be in better shape, again, access to education and awarness does play a part. My disagreement with your statement is that it's almost non-existent. It exists, while nutrition may be the culprit for the poorer, a lack of exercise contributes to the more affluent areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:57 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,918,845 times
Reputation: 10491
We can sit here and discuss for days the correlation between someones financial status and their weight, but the fact that I see it with my own eyes in children speaks much louder than "sitting around a pond" just hypothesizing about it. I see that children in poorer areas ARE INDEED much more overweight/obese than kids in more affluent areas, I SEE IT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 12:59 PM
 
Location: SoCal - Sherman Oaks & Woodland Hills
12,980 posts, read 18,918,845 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
It might be regional, at least in LA your seasons are not as extreme, so you have more to do outdoors. When you are inside due to weather and cabin fever hits, there's more chance you'll be eating worse. I live in an upper middle class neighborhood, and it's the center of a group of different neighborhoods. You have a small pocket of 'hood', on one side, an even nicer neighborhood to another, and a more middle class area on another. I also have the experience of growing up in North Philly- HOOD- so I'm not going on what I hear as an outsider, it's what I experienced. I see obesity in all of the areas. I do agree that generally more affluent kids do seem to be in better shape, again, access to education and awarness does play a part. My disagreement with your statement is that it's almost non-existent. It exists, while nutrition may be the culprit for the poorer, a lack of exercise contributes to the more affluent areas.
Sorry. I posted my response before seeing your post above. I do agree with you that access to education and opportunities for exercise is a contributing factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
 
Location: Philly
1,776 posts, read 2,587,151 times
Reputation: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
We can sit here and discuss for days the correlation between someones financial status and their weight, but the fact that I see it with my own eyes in children speaks much louder than "sitting around a pond" just hypothesizing about it. I see that children in poorer areas ARE INDEED much more overweight/obese than kids in more affluent areas, I SEE IT.
Yeah you also see athletes who participate in programs around childhood obesity, and make the statement that in general, it affects ALL kids, not just the hood, because it's not just the hood. That's all I'm saying. It probably affects the hood more, but if it's going to be addressed, it has to cover all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-28-2009, 01:39 PM
 
Location: anywhere
1,730 posts, read 2,784,511 times
Reputation: 1739
Come to my area of Tampa which is middle class to wealthy and it will blow your mind all of the fat kids you see. I am nosy when I am grocery shopping and I see the junk that the parents put in their cart and these people are in no way poor or even close. It's disgusting that people care so little about their kids that they are willing to let them have life long health issues. I will say there may be a blessing in that fat kids probably don't get picked on as much anymore since they are becoming the majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top