Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 11:32 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,081 times

Advertisements

Hi Runners (and general readers) --

I need some expert advice ...

I've been running for a year [I'm a 29/F] but generally it consists of running on the treadmill after weights. I don't consider myself a runner or have the goals [not yet anyway] of running a marathon, half marathon, etc. I primarily run to build endurance and to burn fat after weights. At this point I can run 3 miles though I sometimes need to stop and walk and/or stretch at 1.5 or 2 miles because of random pain (back, calves, etc.).

For Christmas my brother bought me a gift certificate at a running store. I went and bought a pair of running shoes (professionally fitted) and started running on the road (asphalt with inclines and declines) while I've been on Christmas vacation.

This previous week I decided to push myself a bit and run four days (instead of 2 or 3). So on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday I went for 3 miles with a few stretch breaks in-between. By Wednesday my tendons [I'm assuming the tendons, but I am not sure] by the tibia and fibula were really hurting, and I had to walk probably a mile or so. I did have to hobble a bit because I was in a lot of pain. On Saturday I felt a little pain, but I was able to run through it.

Today (Monday) I went out to run, and my calves [and tibia/fibula region] were really killing me. I stopped running and walked quite a bit and then I was able to run several blocks home.

So...

Question 1: Am I pushing myself too hard? I do want to run longer distances, but I'm not sure if my lower leg pain is normal or if I am doing something wrong.

Question 2: Do I need to stretch more before I go out and run? [I do stretch at least 15 minutes afterward.] I just want to move past this pain and be able to run 3 miles without stopping .. and then be able to run longer distances.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:43 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Shinn splints (sp) is probably what your feeling in your lower legs...I'm definitly not a doctor but, it sounds typical for a beginer.....I've been running (on asphalt) for about 5 years and i'm 27. When I first started running I had the same problems...my calves hurt more than they did after a hard core leg workout...which was wierd to me but after about a month it slowly subsided. Shinn splints can happen at any time....just be sure you are running with proper form...with your chin up and shoulders back this way your not pounding the pavment so hard with each step.....I'd say that just doing so internet research on proper runners form might help out a lot....or even speaking with your doctor about it...

best of luck

Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
Its definitely shin splints you're feeling. Lola's advice to have someone check your running form is the best advice you'll receive on this. This link should help you.

CrossFit Exercises

I also recommend finding a place to run that is not on concrete/asphalt. There are some high schools and colleges now with rubber running tracks that are great to run on. If there's one in your area try it and you'll notice a huge difference in your running.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:28 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
I would go back and ask advice from store you bought the shoes from. It may well be that you don't have enough support in the arch of your foot.

I had the same problem with calf pain - NOT shin pain - it extended from my knees down the backs of my calves into my ankles.

I got new shoes with better arch support and the pain has decreased hugely.

I also find that fast walking to warm up my legs helps, plus some gentle stretching mid-run if the pain starts to come back.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,076 times
This is all good advice. I would add post-run icing to your regimen as well until you are pain free for several runs. Either fill a bucket with ice water and stick your legs in for 10 - 20 minutes or use ice packs with some fabric between you and the ice pack. If you are going to be a runner you'll learn to love ice!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:06 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Agreed, definitely sounds like shin splints to me.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:57 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
If the pain you are feeling is in the back of your legs its not shin splints, shin splint pain is felt in the front of the lower leg.

Even though you have been running for a year this sounds like classic "too far too fast"

Treadmill running only approximates the effort to run outdoors unless you have been using the incline set at 2% (or higher) or run very fast on the treadmill...

It sounds like you basically doubled your weekly mileage in one fell swoop in addition to moving outdoors where the effort required due to varying terrain and wind resistance is greater.

A good rule of thumb is not to increase your weekly mileage by more than 10% per week....by your description you increased somewhere from 25 to 100% ( 2 or 3 x week to 4 x week )

Get a good running book at the local bookstore or library for beginners and you will pick up some good advice.

Most of all, don't be discouraged, you can do it, just listen to your body and build up slowly.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:25 PM

519 posts, read 1,697,081 times
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. =) I went back to the running store, and the guy said to ice, stop running on asphalt (or alternate with asphalt and a soft surface), and add in cross-training to still exercise but give my shins/calves a rest. I'm going to walk today and tomorrow I'll see about finding a dirt road to run on. I also think I probably need to slow down and not push my legs as much. I typically run on a 1% incline on the treadmill, but this doesn't compare when running in the wind, on city roads, and up and down streets.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:59 AM

1,576 posts, read 6,349,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckzter View Post
Thanks so much for the advice, everyone. =) I went back to the running store, and the guy said to ice, stop running on asphalt (or alternate with asphalt and a soft surface), and add in cross-training to still exercise but give my shins/calves a rest. I'm going to walk today and tomorrow I'll see about finding a dirt road to run on. I also think I probably need to slow down and not push my legs as much. I typically run on a 1% incline on the treadmill, but this doesn't compare when running in the wind, on city roads, and up and down streets.
I would also take Ibuprofen, both to ease the pain and to reduce the inflamation. Shin splints (it is actually a form of tendinitis) strike a lot of beginning runners or runners who drastically increase their regular mileage. Go with the suggested remedies and take an extra rest day here and there, but don't stop running altogether unless it really becomes a debilitating condition (at which point you should definitely see a doctor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness