Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Pilates or Yoga
Pilates 2 33.33%
Yoga 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM

44 posts, read 190,568 times

Advertisements

What's your cup of tea?

Pilates or Yoga

-and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
I prefer yoga by a wide margin. Pilates is most effective with the reformer machine (I think thats what its called) and is not at all IMO effective with out it so in order to get the best results, you must have the machine. Of the different types of yoga available I prefer the flowing motions of vinyasa (i.e., warrior yoga) by a wide margin over the other types of yoga.

So for me, its not even close with yoga being the clear cut winner.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:51 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
I find yoga to be more graceful and more invigorating, while still giving me the type and intensity of workout that I want. If I want to focus more on flexibility, or stregnth, or more on decreasing minor back pain, I know what moves to do.

With Pilates, I feel like I'm only working on strength. As someone who's already quite flexible, the few moves we do use, do absolutely nothing for me for increasing flexibility. Finally, for some reason, after pilates, no matter what moves we do, I tend to feel more back pain than usual, and have to either do a few yoga positions or take Advil to alleviate the pain.

I admit, I do see some benefits from Pilates, though I'd rather lift weights to get a similar or better result. For me, Yoga just fits better, but it does depend on the type and intensity.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:01 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Yoga.....definitly. Promotes core stability along with relaxation techniques.....I combine that with weight training and cardio so, for me, it fits into my life and my routine perfectly. Pilates is okay....I guess it just depends on goals, lifestyle and prefferences.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,442,839 times
I bought some weights at Target. Work out at home and run/walk outdoors. I cannot afford $15 3x per week for yoga !!!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 PM

260 posts, read 548,700 times
neither- i prefer taiji!

Old 01-13-2009, 12:33 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
yoga and pilates
What is yoga?
Yoga is the best and most time-tested path to physical and mental well-being known to mankind. While some people think of yoga simply as physical exercise, it is actually a complete system for overall health and well-being. It includes everything from physical postures, personal hygiene, and a healthy diet to premeditation, breathing, and relaxation techniques. The most advanced forms of meditation and self-realization are also a part of yoga. Wai Lana’s workouts focus on yoga’s physical techniques. Why do yoga?
Like many forms of exercise, yoga asanas effectively stretch and strengthen your body. The greatest benefits of yoga asanas, however, come from their profound effects on the internal systems of the body. By bending, stretching, twisting, and flexing in the various postures, you bathe your internal organs with oxygenated blood and prana, also known as life force energy or chi. Yoga asanas soothe and tone your nerves and regulate the endocrine system, which is responsible for the production of hormones—one of the keys to both physical and mental health. They also improve digestion and elimination, strengthen the respiratory system, and tone the reproductive organs. Although yoga techniques like asanas, breathing, and relaxation are extremely effective in relieving stress, it is Yoga Sound meditation that relieves deep-seated stress and anxiety, enabling you to experience yoga's greatest gifts: spiritual happiness and inner peace.
Wai Lana
It would be difficult, if not impossible, to find anyone who has had as much influence as Wai Lana in increasing the worldwide appreciation of the beauty and benefits of the ancient art of yoga. Wai Lana's internationally aired TV series attracts a huge audience and has played a significant part in the skyrocketing popularity of yoga. Click here to read Wai Lana’s biography.
What is Pilates?
Derived from ancient yoga asanas, the Pilates exercise system was formulated by Joseph Pilates over 80 years ago for more specific and limited purposes. Although Pilates is not a complete balanced or holistic exercise and health system, it is quite useful. Pilates focuses mainly on cultivating core strength in the body and lengthening the spine. Practiced for decades by dancers, Pilates has become popular in recent years for its largely aesthetic body sculpting effect. Pilates can be a valuable tool for enhancing strength, definition, and good posture in partnership with Wai Lana Yoga. Click here to explore Wai Lana's Pilates Yoga line of products
Guidelines for yoga and Pilates practice:
• Yoga postures, especially inversions and those that compress the abdomen, should not be done on a full stomach. Listen to your body—if you practice too soon after eating or drinking, certain poses will feel uncomfortable.

• It’s best to practice yoga asanas barefoot, using a yoga mat or nonslip surface for standing poses. A mat, rug, or folded yoga blanket will provide firm padding for other asanas.

• Wear comfortable clothing, something that allows you to move freely.

• Ideally, the room should be well ventilated. Have enough space to extend your arms and legs in all directions without hitting anything.

• While practicing, concentrate on the feeling that the asana is producing in your body.

• If you feel too weak or shaky in a pose, come out of it. Gradually, you will build up your strength and be able to hold the pose longer.

• Don't go beyond your personal limitations, but extend your boundaries gently. Doing the asanas correctly means doing them to the best of your ability without straining.

• Throughout the workout, focus on your breath, inhaling and exhaling fully and completely through your nose. Breathing with awareness not only feels good, but also balances and regulates energy flow within the body, strengthening your internal organs and boosting your resistance to disease.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
I love both! I like to take classes though as it motivates me, and the instructor can make HUGE difference in the quality of the workout. I also don't do any of the so-called "spiritual" part of yoga...just the exercise.

I've been fortunate enough to have had a great instructor in the past for both pilates & yoga....they emphasized form, but also kept the class challenging. At my new gym, the pilates instructor is just awful, and the yoga is a joke....if that was all I knew of either, I'd be turned off to both. The pilates class at my gym now plays awful techno music, the teacher is annoying & shouts instructions, and they do not teach form, so you end up with a sore neck, knees and back. Not a good workout. The yoga instructor has little flow to the class and doesn't put enough into the workout so you feel it in a good way. The last instructor I had made the class flow beatifully but still focused on correct form/breathing.

When I did pilates regularly with a good instructor I had: better posture, a stronger core, more flexibilty, a flatter appearance to my stomach, better digestion, and I felt less stressed out.
When I did yoga regualry with a good instructor I had: a firmer/higher butt, better balance, more flexibilty, was less stressed out, and overall a more toned appearance.
There are definitley benefits to both and I choose whichever one I can find a decent class for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness