Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Getting my spouse into shape, tell me about a weight loss diet, health nutrition, exercise equipment (treadmill?). How to burn fat.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times

Advertisements

And oh...once running he almost ran over a 100 pound asian girl that he didn't see. RUNNING.
Not in car..not in bike...RUNNING...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
A regular doctor checkup had me on the treadmill. I would suggest doing evening walks and having healthier menu options. If he wants an extra portion let him eat, just make sure there was a salad or some non starch veggies or fruit in front of it. Switch from white flour foods to whole wheat in stuff like bread and pasta. Being a nag is not a good idea, you are more likely to catch the back of the hand rather than cooperation.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:00 PM

Lol..right...over his dead body...Extra portions don't work for weight control when you are already at your threshold.

We are all there and reasonably healthy. He is the key difference between us. I can have some processed food, even bad food without gaining or making me want more to the point of where I just DO overeat.

But he...Unless he eats perfectly and has a ketosis going on to stink mouth level he just will eat and put it away like its no one's business. And recently since he has gotton into cooking...Me making proper potions at dinner doesn't work because then he cooks a snack later.

If I ate the same way he needs to eat to stay away from cravings I start to dip to being underweight.

Should I build a secret stash of meal bars just for me or what?
LOL

I am seriously thinking of just doing that and letting him eat ONLY non-processed as it seems to be the only thing that works for him and really keeps his weight stable.

He knows how to eat right but doesn't put the effort forth....And thats the mind thing I have to crack.
Nagging works but isn't best...So whats LIKE nagging but not nagging?
Because being sweet to him doesn't work AT ALL. I tried that.

I think I am going to look at veggie-low carb.
Atkins worked great for him and did restore muscle like no other diet.
But he got sick of all the meat....

He just seems to naturally reach for 300 calories more than he needs...I have been wondering if I should get $$$ nutrient restoration shakes and liquid vitamins to see if that would help.

And oh...I did a check up on him myself (dropout) obviously no blood work...He is fine now. Things like that dont really run in the family. The only issue he has is apnea which I told him about...
I really am starting to think he is just one of those people that don't do sh** until they have a heart attack.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM

p.s. I did get his blood pressure to drop to normal btw through diet alone without weight change!
So that really shows you the my type of "normal" food intake I am talking about.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:50 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
^^^ Ouch...yea it's tough to force heath on people who don't necissarily want to change their lifestyle. Like I said before, be careful about forcing things on him....try to be more subtle like, for instance, go grocery shopping and only buy healthy whole foods....if it's not there he can't eat it right? This way your changing his diet without demanding that he change his diet....

Be supportive of him, be encouraging and provide him with as many resources as you can...ie..personal trainer , maybe an eliptical at home??? punching bag? some free weights?? just lay them right by his side of the bed lol I kid....but seriously....if he sees that you are calmly and sincerely trying to get him to do what's best for him without nagging him he will more likley pick up on it.

best of luck

Old 01-13-2009, 10:40 AM

Last night sitting down to do the bills before dinner was even in the oven (fish & yams) .....

Going over numbers brought me back to the diet thoughts....
Talked a bit about sticking to paying things off etc. and how its nice to stick to things to the end just for the relief of being done...Which made a perfect transitional point to weight control....Had a big talk of "whats the deal" with his yo-yo crap and diet failure.
Him: "im just not trying"
Me: "yeh..no kidding" (sarcastic) "but why"
Him:" I dont know. I will start tormorrow"
Me: " Ok...I'm,..well... I quit smoking not to annoy you. I lost weight so you wouldn't be the guy dating a fat chick."
Him: " you did that for you"
me: "Well no sh**! but that doesn't mean you are not a major factor. And I never said this before but I am going to just be blunt about it. I am not attracted to fat guys. Never have been, never will be. And you are lucky that you are charming or I would be running for the hills you stupid sh**" (lauging)
him: (Laughing) Thats so mean!
Me: Yeh well so is dying and leaving me for alone 20 years.
Him:
Me: Yeh F-it....If you are not going to try. Neither am I. Im not going to watch my weight and if I want a smoke I am going to have it. I guess I shouldnt be so uptight about things. Live and let live right?
Him: (starting to melt from apathetic to concerned to what this new sh*t-fit means)
Me: (getting down to the skivies to get ready for a shower)
So don't tell me if I gain and don't b*tch about cigarette smell either.
Him: (stewing in a pregnant pause watching me rip off my socks)
Well do you think I should start today? I should get on the bike.
Me: Yeh that would be a good idea (trots off to shower biting a lip to hold in glee)
Him: (changing his pants for the bike time)

P O K E R FACE!
I am so glad that he didn't call me on it....
I dont want smoking and excess food again...Well I could go for a smoke...
But not getting fat again.

But maybe this is just further proof that you can talk men into anything if you are in your underwear.

Now lets see if it sticks again tonight. I think it may because after dinner we had these italian biscuits with our coffee and he was doing the nagging about how low fat/low cal they were and still tasted good.

And you know until this thread...I had forgotten about the blood pressure reading from last year. Its like the only cold and hard number I see as progress that really matters. Yes his body fat has gone down as well from 32 to 26. But its not as good because it still needs work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness