Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 05:57 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,062 times

Advertisements

i'm looking to start lifting weights again after a months-long layoff. my question is, what is the best routine for getting my muscles reacquainted with the rigors of lifting?

the reason i ask is because the last time i started working out after a long layoff, my muscles were so sore after that first session that i needed 4-5 days to recover, and another 3-4 days after the second workout.

i figure there are two approaches to this:

1) start out with a relatively light exercise routine in which i work out the entire body during each session without concentrating on any muscle group in particular. the potential benefit is a faster muscle recovery time, which would allow me to do this routine three times per week. the downside is that when i used to do this routine back in the day, none of my muscles felt like they got a good workout.

my thinking is that i could do this light routine three times per week for a couple of weeks, then move on to my regular routine, which is outlined below.

2) the other option is to resume my normal routine from the get-go. this would entail three separate days per week of upper body weightlifting:

-one day devoted entirely to chest and triceps using heavy weights, with 3 sets per exercise and 8-12 reps per set
-after a day of rest, the next session is entirely devoted to back and biceps using heavy weights and the same set/rep ratio
-two days later, work out the shoulders plus a second biceps/triceps routine
-one day devoted entirely to legs (squats plus quad/hammy/calf isolation)
-light cardio and situps on the days in between

the benefit of this routine is that the muscle group i'm focusing on that day gets a great workout. the downside is the long muscle recovery time when i'm first starting out.

so which is better after a long layoff? ease into the water slowly, or hit the ground running and "shock" my system with a tough workout?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Your best bet is to jump right back in. Of course, this is assuming that you are physically prepared and there are no health issues.

Your program looks good however, if your trying to gain muscle mass, you might want to lower your reps. Typically, the higher the weight the lower the reps....I’d say 6 with 10 reps being your max (you should achieve failure on your last set between the 3rd and 8th rep). Lowering may also allow you to increase your weight thus, having a greater affect on muscle rips/muscle growth.

It's definitely good that you allow time for your muscles to heal....up to 5, 6 days is great for this type of program. It's a good thing when you feel it that means your doing it right and for the first few weeks you will definitely feel it.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
I always tell myself that I'm going to ease back into it, but once I'm in the gym I can't stand the slow pace.

Maybe just go to the park and do some full-speed 50 yard shuttle runs, a lot of push-ups and pull-ups.

If you do that for a week you should have already shocked your system before you get back in the gym.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:25 AM

thanks for the tips so far. i'm young and have no health issues, plus i don't drink or smoke, so my body should be able to handle a fairly rigorous workload right away.

question: if i were to jump right into my normal lifting routine, is it better to start out with somewhat lighter weights and a higher number of reps (perhaps around 12 per set) for the first couple of weeks so that my muscles can develop some endurance? or is it ok to immediately start out with heavier weights that i can only do 6-8 reps of before achieving failure?

i have heard conflicting reports about this. some people insist that you need to build up muscle endurance with higher reps/slightly lower weights before moving on to heavier weights and muscle mass building, while others say that step is unnecessary (even temporarily). others have advocated six week intervals in which one six week period is devoted to higher reps/lower weights, and the following six week period is devoted to lower reps/heavier weights.

what do you guys think? thanks again.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
thanks for the tips so far. i'm young and have no health issues, plus i don't drink or smoke, so my body should be able to handle a fairly rigorous workload right away.

question: if i were to jump right into my normal lifting routine, is it better to start out with somewhat lighter weights and a higher number of reps (perhaps around 12 per set) for the first couple of weeks so that my muscles can develop some endurance? or is it ok to immediately start out with heavier weights that i can only do 6-8 reps of before achieving failure?

i have heard conflicting reports about this. some people insist that you need to build up muscle endurance with higher reps/slightly lower weights before moving on to heavier weights and muscle mass building, while others say that step is unnecessary (even temporarily). others have advocated six week intervals in which one six week period is devoted to higher reps/lower weights, and the following six week period is devoted to lower reps/heavier weights.

what do you guys think? thanks again.
Well.....yea...you definitly don't want to be achieving failiure on your 1st or second set so adjust your weight accordingly. You may not start off with the weight you ended with before your time off from the gym so you start off with a weight that allows you to complete 2.5 sets of 8....you will be amazed at how quickly your endurance will build......

Old 01-21-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Well.....yea...you definitly don't want to be achieving failiure on your 1st or second set so adjust your weight accordingly. You may not start off with the weight you ended with before your time off from the gym so you start off with a weight that allows you to complete 2.5 sets of 8....you will be amazed at how quickly your endurance will build......
cool, thanks for the tips

Old 01-21-2009, 09:27 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
Jump right in using lighter weights. Of course you're going to be sore. Stretch it out and deal with it.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:19 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Keep it Simple...

Do the "Half & Half" routine.
Do exactly as you would have in your normal regiment with half the weight and half the reps. Gradually work your way back up to peak weight/reps when soreness discontinues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness