U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-07-2009, 03:27 AM

3,082 posts, read 6,453,617 times
Question Exercising With A Cold

Question: Any advice for exercising while sick?

I have a cold (cough, runny nose, generally feeling crappy). I also have about 15 days left to get in shape before a major surf trip, and I need to get all my muscle soreness out of the way and tune-up my cardio fitness a little. Just like when I had a regular routine, I notice that my symptoms more-or-less go away while I'm working out, but the additional muscle soreness has got me hobbling around like an old man a few hours later after I've cooled off.

I'm only a few days in and still in the middle of the initial soreness after a few months with no regular routine. Happily, it seems like I didn't lose a lot of endurance during my hyatus; as it's rapidly returning.

The only good options open to me are swimming in a 68-degree pool, running in 68-degree rain, and stationary exercises indoors in a small space (jumping jacks, pushups, situps and no real room for anything else). Any suggestions or advice on how not to make my cold worse, while still getting in the exercise?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:53 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,707,251 times
This is a good question. I was actually supposed to go to the gym thismorning but I have a really bad sore throat so I didn't go. I really am not sick very often, maybe once every 6 months. If I can pry myself out of bed, I force myself into some sort of workout. Maybe yoga? Your body is smarter than you give it credit for sometimes, it will let you know if you need to stop.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:14 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,838,420 times
I don't exercise when I have a cold. Not much anyway. Some LIGHT exercise, like a walk, may not be bad, but heavy exercise depresses your immune system in the short term and is just likely to make you sicker. Better to rest up, get some LIGHT activity, and then hit it 100% once you are well.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:38 PM

9,752 posts, read 2,090,942 times
I'm no doctor.. but a cold has never stopped me from exercising.. weightlifting, cardio, etc. Maybe it's just my imagination but sometimes I think I feel better after a workout. Lord knows.. the endorphines can clear your sinuses.. I don't think I would be the 1st to have sex to feel better when stuffed up, am I? Lol.. TMI.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,816,986 times
Cold meds and actions dehydrate you so make sure you stay hydrated. I knock out colds by double stacking a simple rite aid multi-vitamin. I do this as soon as I can feel it coming on and I never get sick for more than 1/2 a day maybe every other year or once a year.

Article to share:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/25/he...25best.html?em

Old 02-09-2009, 01:07 PM

2,420 posts, read 6,761,123 times
I don't know about you, but when I have congestion, I simply can't breathe effectively! I must not have those "sinus-clearing" endorphines!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:35 PM

1,403 posts, read 1,987,297 times
I've always heard that if the cold is above the neck you are OK to exercise aerobically. If the cold is below the neck (in the chest), that you shouldn't exercise.

On another note: You are 15 days out from a major trip and you are sick. Instead of cramming in those last exercises, I would focus on kicking the cold so that you are COMPLETELY healthy for your trip. That means skipping some workout and resting up, eating right etc. It would really suck if you thought you were better only to come down really sick in the middle of your trip when you get stressed again (with travel, surfing etc)

Just another opinion....good luck!

Old 02-09-2009, 01:48 PM

9,752 posts, read 2,090,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
I don't know about you, but when I have congestion, I simply can't breathe effectively! I must not have those "sinus-clearing" endorphines!
Lol! I guess I'm alone here..

I would agree with the Broadbill who said skip the gym if you have chest congestion, though. Yeah, I should've been more clear.. if I'm really sick I would never go to the gym.. but I'd still go with just a simple cold (nasal congestion/sore throat/etc).

Last edited by FlaGrrrl; 02-09-2009 at 02:04 PM..

Old 02-14-2009, 05:00 PM

45 posts, read 65,746 times
Advice? Yes, do not workout with a cold/flu. A few reasons:

- Your body is already under stress in dealing with the cold. Working out only renders more stress which could hinder your recovery. Rest up and provide it with plenty of nutrients and liquids. Remember that after doing any kind of exercise your body is also dealing with getting rid all of the free radicals that exist as a byproduct of exercise.

- If you workout at a public gym, spare the rest of the members from becoming ill. Ideally we would all have a super strong immune system from exercising that would resist becoming overwhelmed. Since most gyms are places where germs and bacterias can thrive, its best not to add more and put the member population at risk.

As for muscle soreness, be sure to stretch properly before and after your workout. I've found that it makes a world of difference.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:34 AM

58 posts, read 92,177 times
I just do my warm-up set twice of everything usually do in the gym and skipped what is usually the main lifting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness