U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:34 PM

627 posts, read 1,247,271 times
I mean Sauconys. I've never heard of that brand before. I think 9 is definitely too big for my left foot. I just now went for a quick run and my ankle started hurting after just half a mile. I probably laced them up too tight, but the felt like they were going to slide around otherwise. This is frustrating, I spent $130 on these new shoes and they're worse for my feet than my old ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 02:47 PM

4,473 posts, read 5,835,397 times
Take them back and explain what happened. I know the specialty running store I go to in Boulder always says to bring them back if I have any issues.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:54 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,137,135 times
Sorry to hear your situation w/Saucony's. I agree w/the poster above. Take them back and mention the situation.

Regarding Nike's they do run narrower from my experiance. I have pretty narrow feet, and run primarily with Nike shoes my whole life. I've tried Muizunos, New balances, and they seemed a little wide with some heal lift. I ran with Asics for a couple years before they upgraded the shoe (for the worse)

Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 AM

4,473 posts, read 5,835,397 times
Just curious - how did she determine what shoe you needed? Did you do more than walk around the store?
When I've gone to specialty stores they put me on a treadmill, tape it, then we look back at it to evaluate how I run. They then have me try on different brands of shoe and have me go outside and run a bit in them.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:41 PM

I did run outside with them, but there wasn't any videotaping or anything. I only ran a couple yards. That might not have been such a good test.

I wonder if I just need to get used to them. They have a much different feel than my old shoes, I felt like I was stomping around a lot more in the new ones. Maybe I was running differently in them because they felt funny. Compared to my old shoes, they feel a lot more springy and more supportive, which I liked. But they also feel heavier, which I don't like.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,019,887 times
Stability or motion control shoes generally weigh more than other road running shoes. I usually wear the Brooks Beast or the New Balance 1123, but lately have switched to the Adidas Supernova Control which are about $40 less and just as good. I always get the $17 Sorbothane Ultra Sole inserts instead of the insoles that come with the shoes because of the added cushioning of the polyeurethene gel.

1123 MENS (http://www.rnjsports.com/viewItem/1/67/1117/ - broken link)

Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 PM

5,069 posts, read 5,688,330 times
How about a run-of-the-mill running shoe with orthotics?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:14 AM

1,494 posts, read 3,100,329 times
If I use Nikes for running my feet will hurt like crazy.
Brooks
Asics
Saucony
New Balance

are more geared for running and have better stability

Old 02-25-2009, 10:57 PM

520 posts, read 1,100,565 times
Firstly, I don't run. My knees don't like it, but my gf does. Her feet are full of issues.

She goes to the local running shoe store. They measure, watch, take notes, ask questions, etc, and when they are all done they bring her out shoes that work. Only shoes that work. They are usually a trail shoe, a track shoe, and an all around shoe. She doesn't get to choose colors or anything, just what she needs for what she'll be doing.

These people are really smart. Supposedly running shoes are only good for about 6 months of solid running before the soles break down. They are supposed to be sized slightly bigger to allow for foot swell when runing too.

Also, don't forget about the socks. Running socks make a world of difference.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 PM

Maybe the shoes that I've been wearing are a little bit small...that would explain the bruising on my toes. But I couldn't stand the loose feeling of the Sauconys, which were half a size bigger. I took them back. Maybe it's a width thing? Somebody here said that Nikes are generally narrower than other shoes, and Nikes are what I'm used to. The extra room in the toe area of the Sauconys didn't bother me, but the loose feeling around the ankle did. I tied them tighter so they wouldn't feel loose, but that hurt my feet.

Maybe I'm just used to shoes that are too small for me? I don't know. But if I have to choose between toe bruises and shoes that flop around while I'm running or hurt my ankles, I'd rather have the toe bruises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness