Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,359 times

Advertisements

If your getting winded on the treadmill Denny you should probably tone it down a bit as it could be dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 12:35 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,164,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
If your getting winded on the treadmill Denny you should probably tone it down a bit as it could be dangerous.
Absolutely, get that heart rate up too high and say goodbye to some of your muscle tissue

Old 03-02-2009, 02:19 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,139,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I've signed up for gym memberships before, but I've always found that I can't stand going there. I don't mind the equipment and working out, it's the posers that drive me crazy! And among other things:

* People talking on cell phones on the treadmills,
* Men making lots of loud, grunting noises while lifting heavy weights
* People who sweat excessively and work on equipment I want to use
* Loud potty talk during workouts

I'd always leave the gym in a bad mood, so I finally bought some weights for working out at home and took up running.

Anyone else not like gyms?
I don't like going, but once I've gone & done my hour, I'm happy I went.

Sometimes it's all about finding the time that fits your body rhythm, too. I am an early AM gym person. I've always worked out before 7 a.m. and my body works better all day if I go in the a.m. before work. When I go after work, I am just way too tired out from being at work for eight hours, or something comes up & there goes exercise...Nothing comes up at 6 in the morning...nothing. So to those of you that still want that gym membership in order to get out of the house & exercise, try a different time of day.

Also, I have to have my music going on.....I can not do any amount of time without listening to my music (dead, moody blues), it makes the time sweating all just that much more....

Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,946 times
I love the gym. And while I don't necessarily need a workout partner, I like the atmosphere of a lively gym. I feed off the energy there.

For those who don't like the feeling of lifting 10 lbs while some muscle bound dude is lifting 100s, try this gym called Planet Fitness if it's in your area. It's a cardio gym mostly, but they have some smith machines and dumbbells up to 50 lbs. They discourage the bodybuilder types; if you bang weights or grunt, they have this siren called a lunk alarm. CRAZY. I think it's an amazing marketing scheme, though.

Here's a link. Planet Fitness® -- The Judgment Free Zone®

Old 03-02-2009, 07:02 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,946 times
Oh yeah, I do need my own music, not that of the gym. They never play what I like.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:15 AM

37,609 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Wow. This was a joke, right???

Old 03-03-2009, 02:16 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
You've got to be kidding? This is why people are so out of shape. They're too afraid to really push themselves. Instead, they go at a leisurely pace barely breaking a sweat and burning only a small amount of calories. If you don't push yourself, you'll never improve. I run at a pace that I can maintain for one hour. But it's intense enough where my heart rate is around 80% of my max and I'm sweating profusely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Absolutely, get that heart rate up too high and say goodbye to some of your muscle tissue
Yep. That's why sprinters have no muscle. Seriously, what ever gave you the idea that high-intensity workouts burn muscle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
They discourage the bodybuilder types; if you bang weights or grunt, they have this siren called a lunk alarm.
Yet another reason I prefer to workout at home. I'm not a bodybuilder, but I believe you'll never improve unless you really push yourself. When you're lifting weights, unless you reach that point of failure and squeeze out the last rep, you won't signal your body to grow stronger or add muscle. Sure, you feel stupid grunting when performing that last rep, but that's how you know you're pushing yourself. And when I finish that last good rep, I have nothing left so I have to drop the weight cause I don't even have the energy to keep holding it. At a gym, I can understand why dropping the weight or grunting would be bothersome. But too many people who lift weights look like they're just going through the motions. They pick some light weight where they can be quiet, never have to grunt and never really push themselves to their limits.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:37 PM

37,609 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
You've got to be kidding? This is why people are so out of shape. They're too afraid to really push themselves. Instead, they go at a leisurely pace barely breaking a sweat and burning only a small amount of calories. If you don't push yourself, you'll never improve. I run at a pace that I can maintain for one hour. But it's intense enough where my heart rate is around 80% of my max and I'm sweating profusely.
Yep! I climbed 310 flights of stairs the other night in 1 hour and 10 min. I was dripping, and yeah, breathing pretty darn hard. That's the whole point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Yep. That's why sprinters have no muscle. Seriously, what ever gave you the idea that high-intensity workouts burn muscle?
Are people really this misinformed??? Where do they get this stuff from??

Old 03-03-2009, 03:48 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yep! I climbed 310 flights of stairs the other night in 1 hour and 10 min. I was dripping, and yeah, breathing pretty darn hard. That's the whole point.
310 FLIGHTS ?? Where did you find a 310 story building? And you did them in an HOUR??

Old 03-03-2009, 05:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
My guess is that she went back down the stairs and reused them! That's going up a 10-story building 31 times ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness