U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-12-2009, 06:44 AM

1,825 posts, read 3,116,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim$treet8 View Post
Davidt1 can u be more specific about wht u said on exercising and dieting only shrinking the fat cells, not removing em'?
I thought this is a well-known fact. Here are some links to more information.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7724727/

Weight Loss Magic - Fat Cells Shrink (http://www.healthytricks.com/library/shrink.htm - broken link)

Do fat cells last forever? - CNN.com
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-21-2009, 10:47 AM
JL

6,141 posts, read 5,807,421 times
what about love handles? my abs are ok, but the sides are starting to show a little. what exercises besides cardio can i do to get rid of it? thanks.

Unread 03-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesLang View Post
what about love handles? my abs are ok, but the sides are starting to show a little. what exercises besides cardio can i do to get rid of it? thanks.
Eating less is the key. After a year of being a couch potato, I decided to get in shape two weeks ago. The first thing I did was cutting my food intake in half. I start my workout with six sets of abdominal exercises, then a 40 min. cardio workout, then strength training. My waistline went from 34'' to 31''. I still have one more day to go for a complete 2-week cycle.

Unread 03-22-2009, 12:02 PM

90 posts, read 397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Eating less is the key. After a year of being a couch potato, I decided to get in shape two weeks ago. The first thing I did was cutting my food intake in half. I start my workout with six sets of abdominal exercises, then a 40 min. cardio workout, then strength training. My waistline went from 34'' to 31''. I still have one more day to go for a complete 2-week cycle.
I want to start out by saying I am not a expert nor a doctor, but I have been working out and exercising for years so Im going off what I have read and know.

Its not really that good of an idea to do your abdominal workouts each day. You need to give your muscles time to rest and recoup afterwords. Generally a nice rule to remember is to let the muscle group you work, rest for 24-36 hours before working them again. Also, try to incorporate a "rest day" 1 or 2 times a week.

Unread 03-24-2009, 07:19 AM

756 posts, read 1,570,574 times
Quote:
Its not really that good of an idea to do your abdominal workouts each day. You need to give your muscles time to rest and recoup afterwords. Generally a nice rule to remember is to let the muscle group you work, rest for 24-36 hours before working them again. Also, try to incorporate a "rest day" 1 or 2 times a week.
Agreed. Abs are just like any other muscle group. You need to rest them to allow them to rebuild. There is no way I could work out my chest every day, or even every other day...abs are no different. They will heal a bit faster and can worked out more frequently than other groups but they still need a break period.

Unread 03-24-2009, 09:06 AM

617 posts, read 2,027,420 times
Yes, you should allow muscles to rest. You can pretty much treat them as other muscle groups, but they do, like mentioned above, have different recovery periods than other muscles.

I think a big misunderstanding with "getting good abs" is the lack of understanding of what your abs consist of. Yes, it's simple, yet people still ask "What can I do to get rid of the fat... 'here'?"

Fat is fat, and muscle is muscle. It's been said before, but it's definitely worth repeating. You can't spot reduce. "Love handles" are just fat covering your ab muscles. No exercise is going to "fix" that area directly. You can do side bends and normal ab exercises to improve strength and grow your abs, but the fat needs to be dieted away or burned away doing cardio or whatever you want to call it. You just need to bring your bf% down enough to show the abs, or to eliminate the love handles.

Maybe it will make someone feel better to do side bends or situps while they still have a layer of fat around their midsection. Yes, you do need to strengthen the midsection, lower back included. But you also need to lose the fat surrounding the muscles because they are two different things.

Having more overall muscle would burn more fat,... but I won't go too OT.

Sorry this sounded like a rant. It really does need to be addressed. I see too many people doing this the wrong way. '500 situps/night' will not do it.

Unread 03-24-2009, 09:45 AM

I need stop walking every other day so my legs can recuperate. That sounds absurd. Of course, it does. So does the so-called resting period.

If the goal is to be a body builder, then a resting period might be a good idea. If one just wants to tone up a little, a resting day/whatever is not required.

Thanks for the advices, but my routine is working just fine. And I have the body to prove it.

Unread 03-24-2009, 09:50 AM

969 posts, read 1,447,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I need stop walking every other day so my legs can recuperate. That sounds absurd. Of course, it does. So does the so-called resting period.

If the goal is to be a body builder, then a resting period might be a good idea. If one just wants to tone up a little, a resting day/whatever is not required.

Thanks for the advices, but my routine is working just fine. And I have the body to prove it.
it all depends on how hard you train, how much you eat, and how much you sleep. You're body will tell you when you need a rest. Muscles do need recovery time. How much time depends on the individual.

Unread 03-24-2009, 11:53 AM

617 posts, read 2,027,420 times
Walking is not really progressive resistance training. This type of training is what needs the recovery time which was discussed above.

Sure, you are breaking down muscle fiber, but it certainly isn't lifting weights to break down the muscle, which indeed does need more days to rest.

All good info in this thread. I agree with all of it. I was just pointing out the "What exercise to lose my love handles" question. This is asked many times and it really needs to be understood that there is no exercise to target the love handles' fat. Except for losing the actual fat.

Unread 03-24-2009, 11:56 AM

969 posts, read 1,447,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
Walking is not really progressive resistance training. This type of training is what needs the recovery time which was discussed above.

Sure, you are breaking down muscle fiber, but it certainly isn't lifting weights to break down the muscle, which indeed does need more days to rest.

All good info in this thread. I agree with all of it. I was just pointing out the "What exercise to lose my love handles" question. This is asked many times and it really needs to be understood that there is no exercise to target the love handles' fat. Except for losing the actual fat.
and its the last bit of stubborn fat to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness