U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2009, 02:49 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,256,327 times

Advertisements

I am training for a half-marathon which is in three weeks. I am currently running about 25 miles per week and feel like I'm right where I want to be with my training. I bought my shoes from a local running store and have been very happy with them until this past week when I have developed a sore callous on my left big toe. I have always had some callous there, but as my miles have increased, the callous has increased.

So, here is my question. I don't want to get new shoes this close to the race but I need to do something because this is pretty painful. Should I get a pedicure to sand,scrape off the callous? Should I just pad it with something like a moleskin? Should I just leave it alone figuring that if it is making a callous, it probably needs to?

Any advice fellow runners?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM

4,625 posts, read 10,500,588 times
Honestly, I would consider getting some new shoes...

30 years ago running shoes really needed to be broken in well before really running long, today's shoes are pretty much ready to go out of the box.

Certainly 3 weeks is enough time to break them in sufficiently.

Callous formation on the toe is a sign of abnormal friction or pressure at the point where callous is forming. I would go to a reputable running shoe store locally and get fitted.

You can also use a pumice stone to smooth out the callous that is already there but you should really treat the source of the problem and that is almost certainly your shoes...

Worse case scenario, if you buy new shoes now and are not quite comfortable using them for your 1/2 marathon you can always go back to the old ones for this race and then start in the new shoes..

Good luck in your race

Old 03-09-2009, 08:33 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,256,327 times
You are probably right - new shoes should solve the problem. I know they don't need breaking in - it is just a head thing for me. Three weeks though is probably just right timing to get a new pair and know if they are going to be right.

I ran 11 miles this morning in my full race gear - same shirt, bra, shorts, socks shoes that I plan to wear for the race. Everything was great - no rubbing, not too tight, not too loose... except for this darned toe!

Thanks for the well wishes - I am really psyched!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness