Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times

Advertisements

I don't care what other people do, but I always take the stairs. Except for that time I went to New York and took the elevator inside the Rockefeller building to the Rainbow Room at the top.

Old 03-18-2009, 06:13 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
"If you are walking the stairs, what do you care what other people do?"

Because they DISGUST me. And they are wasting valuable time on my company's dime. It's like every time I see them standing around waiting for the elevator they are nonverbally saying "I am so special, I must take the elevator."

Does something have to directly impact me for me to have a reaction to it? I was never directly affected by discrimination against black people, but I can still have a negative reaction to it. I am not directly affected by the people who are obsessed with American Idol, but I can still be disgusted at them.

It's called judging others. Do it, it's fun. If anyone claims to never judge other people they are lying, or on heavy meds.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
When I used to work in DC, it would annoy me when people stood stationary on the left hand side of the escalator. I always thought that was the "walking" side of the escalator, and that's how most people used it. We get a lot of tourists up there so maybe they didn't understand the concept.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:36 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
I don't judge anyone. If they need to take the elevator, well then, that's what it's there for.

If they want to take the elevator, so be it. It's their right, and none of my business.

Or yours.

Quote:
It's like every time I see them standing around waiting for the elevator they are nonverbally saying "I am so special, I must take the elevator."
Or maybe they're saying "My arthritis is really killing me today" or "My doctor told me to avoid stairs as much as possible until the medication she gave me regulates my heartbeat."

Oh, and by the way ... If you have any kind of joint pain or injury in your legs, down is much more painful and difficult than up.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,522 times
I always thought I was the only one who looked around at the elevator riders and thought "Come on people. Take the stairs up one floor. It's good for you to get some excercise."
I don't "hate" these people but I do marvel at how lazy some folks can be. Sure there are folks who have some disability but there are plenty who don't. I think we should take a little excercise wherever we can get it.

I have had arthritis in my knees for 20 years. I used to live in a 1 story house and my stair climbing was regulated to the occassional visit to an office building. When I bought my last house, it was a 2 story and I wondered how I was going to climb them over and over each day. After a few weeks, I climbed them with no effort at all. When I accepted a job that had me using the stairs between floors throughout the day, it improved my leg strength even more. On the last few hiking trips to the mountains, I smoked my husband on those trails!!! I used to drag myself because my knees hurt so much. Goes to show that in some cases, excercise is good for those arthritic knees.

I'll keep using the stairs!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:02 AM

288 posts, read 851,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
On escalators- I don't understand why one side of the escalators can't be standard for people who stand and the other for people who climb. It works that way in the UK and it's so convenient.
Fortunately, that is how the escalators at the train station are used here in Chicago, at least by commuters - tourists just stand on them in bunches.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,003,737 times
I don't hate people for their choice, but I'd rather benefit my muscles and joints, since they work better when they are kept in regular use.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:31 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I don't care what other people do, but I always take the stairs. Except for that time I went to New York and took the elevator inside the Rockefeller building to the Rainbow Room at the top.
You lazy slacker!

Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
"If you are walking the stairs, what do you care what other people do?"

Because they DISGUST me. And they are wasting valuable time on my company's dime. It's like every time I see them standing around waiting for the elevator they are nonverbally saying "I am so special, I must take the elevator."

Does something have to directly impact me for me to have a reaction to it? I was never directly affected by discrimination against black people, but I can still have a negative reaction to it. I am not directly affected by the people who are obsessed with American Idol, but I can still be disgusted at them.

It's called judging others. Do it, it's fun. If anyone claims to never judge other people they are lying, or on heavy meds.
Seriously, this has to be a troll. It's too obvious.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM

968 posts, read 2,588,972 times
I'm out of breath after climbing a flight of stairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness