U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2009, 03:23 PM

380 posts, read 638,133 times

Advertisements

why is it so hard to work out... I do 12 reps bench press of 90 Lbs and cant take it anymore. i have motivating troubles.. I jog about a block and want to turn around and go home... lol I weigh 288 Lbs and im 6'4''. It use to be so east losing weight for me. I have trouble eating healthy im always craving sweets and dont know when to stop eating.. can someone relate or help me on advice? thank you guys.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 03:27 PM

969 posts, read 1,625,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
why is it so hard to work out... I do 12 reps bench press of 90 Lbs and cant take it anymore. i have motivating troubles.. I jog about a block and want to turn around and go home... lol I weigh 288 Lbs and im 6'4''. It use to be so east losing weight for me. I have trouble eating healthy im always craving sweets and dont know when to stop eating.. can someone relate or help me on advice? thank you guys.

go get a cholesterol screen and when you realize you are a walking heart attack like I did you'll get motivated.

Only takes 2 weeks to form a habit and once you realize how good you feel it should be motivation enough to keep going.
In a couple months fitness became an obsession for me. LOL

Old 03-25-2009, 03:36 PM

4,589 posts, read 8,909,110 times
Quote:
This is very common....when I trained full time I had so many clients who I knew didn't truly want to be there...they would flake on me or just flat out give up half way through. What i've learned by watching is that you have to decide, I mean really really decide that you want to make the commitment to be healthy. Once you do that, it's simple. There are days that even I don't want to get up and go to the gym but I do it and i've never ever regretted going to the gym, i've regretted not going. You have to decide to now allow excuses from yourself and just do it.

Same thing goes for self control and eating habits....I love sweets just as much as the next person but they really are better when it's once in a while instead of all the time. I'm happy to help if you are ready to make that commitment to yourself.....

Old 03-25-2009, 03:49 PM

I'll gladly help kick your ass into shape if you want it.

Lola rocks too, listen to her.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:12 PM

31 posts, read 83,101 times
Default Its all in your head.

The more you sit around thinking about it the less chance you will actually do it. The workout is not what feels good its usually the satisfaction of having worked out that makes you want to do it again. So get busy and do it before you talk your self out of it.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 PM

5,216 posts, read 9,028,363 times
Default Set small goals that you can reach in a fairly short time.

Good advice from everyone here. At some point you really do have to decide that you're just going to do it. It's also going to be true for most people that those first weeks are the most difficult. Once working out becomes a habit, it's easier to stick with it.

I want to add a thought as well: It's best to think in the long term. Exercise works best as a way of life, not trying to whip yourself into shape temporarily only to fall back into being physically inactive because you've pushed for too much too soon. You said something about jogging a block and being ready to quit. I'm wondering whether it's a good idea for someone your size to jog at all. You would probably do better to start out by walking. 12 reps of 90 pounds on the bench press doesn't sound bad at all to me, for someone who is only beginning to get back into shape. The idea of thinking long term is to set small goals. Start out by walking a block, not jogging. Do this long enough to get a feel for how much you can push your body, and then begin to think in terms of setting the goal to walk two blocks, then three, and so forth, and wait until you can walk a couple of miles comfortably before mixing in a little jogging with your walks, just a little jogging at first, then a little more and a little more. Stay with 90 pounds on the bench press for a bit longer, but set a goal to up that weight to 100 in a few weeks.

Keep setting these small goals. Those little bits of progress are very attainable. Over time, one small step leads to the next, and the next, and eventually you realize you have made some real progress. It takes significant time, though. If you focus too much on whatever weight you want to get down to as your ultimate goal, this may seem out of reach, and cause you to be discouraged and lose motivation. Better to stay focused on those smaller goals that don't take so long to reach. That way, you keep attaining your goals, which keeps reinforcing a sense of accomplishment, which then makes you feel good about your progress, and that is very good for motivation.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:54 AM

12,980 posts, read 18,928,131 times
You need to go into the gym with a plan. I bet anything that you go just because you need to go to the gym and dont have a specific plan that you're working on.

While Im not sure of your goals (weight loss, strength gains, muscle gains, etc.) I recommend you invest in the book - "The New HIT (High Intensity Training)" by Ellington Darden. Great great great book that I cannot say enough great things about. It goes into detail about how much weight you should be using, how many sets, how man reps per set, how many body parts you should be working on, etc.

Otherwise, you are just spinning your wheels by going to the gym with no real plan of action.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:09 AM

I sit down and outline a program before I get going. I typically stick to that program for 6 weeks then write down another one and switch it up.

If you write down your goals, then write down what exercises you're going to do it will help. Also remember that diet is 80% of the battle so you'll have to make changes there as well.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM

7,483 posts, read 8,504,160 times
Quote:
Think about why you want to lose weight. The more reasons you come up with and the more emotions you stir up, the better. If you think about how a person accomplishes any big goal in life, it's because they want it so badly that they're willing to do whatever it takes. The guy who wants to be rich will suffer through years of college and long workdays for it. Anytime he feels like it's too hard, he reminds himself of why he's doing it. That's what you need to do anytime you catch yourself feeling too tired to work out and reaching for the junk food. Whenever I feel like skipping a workout or eating bad, I stop and ask myself what my goal is and why I want to achieve it. I remind myself of how good I feel after exercise, how much better I look, how my clothes fit better, and even how it might make me more attractive to women. That last one, I hate to admit, is a really strong motivator sometimes.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM

876 posts, read 1,015,512 times
it boils down to laziness. that is all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness