U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:40 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,248,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Cardio, cardio or cardio. Also try cardio!!
You cannot spot reduce. The only way to lose fat around your abdomen is by reducing your overall body fat percentage. You do that by eating a healthy diet. And yes, cardio, cardio, and more cardio. In fact, if you follow this rule, you do not even have to do crunches to lose fat around your abdomen.

Again, the key is overall body fat reduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 07:47 PM

5,748 posts, read 7,264,223 times
Six-pack abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:48 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,848,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnacareer View Post
Good exercise tips, any other exercises to loose the belly fats..is constant walking will help? when u start exercising it will have pain in the abdominal area, should we continue the exercises or take rest for some days...

Walking will help IF you are keeping your heart rate up. Might want to try the Elliptical if you have access to one..those are great for cardio and very low impact on your joints.

The pain in your abdominal area sounds like a stitch but you should see your doctor because it could be something more serious like a hernia or a muscle strain. If it is a stitch there are a few things you can try...do not eat at least an hour prior to walking or doing cardio, Soda= bad bad bad as it bloats your stomach which could create that sharp painful feeling in your abdomen when walking or doing cardio, limit the amount of air that gets into your stomach by slowly sipping your water instead of gulping it.....those things should help if it is a stitch but, as I said, check with your doctor to rule out anything serious.

Good Luck

Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 AM

4,589 posts, read 8,848,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
You not only need cardio but you also need to watch your diet AND still have resistance training.

Here's the formula that worked for me:

Cardio training early morning - RUN or try jumping rope for at leat 15 minutes. Fartleks are really just sporatic HIIT running where you just occasionally sprint full speed for 10 seconds or so then back to your normal pace. Most importantly you need to run for 2-3 miles then on the last quarter or half mile, sprint for a few seconds then walk for a few seconds then sprint again 100% for few more seconds then walk again - do that until you reach your goal distance.

Resistance Training - Build muscle in other parts of your body by lifting weights. This is best done during an afternoon or evening workout. Muscles burn calories even at rest so think of it as being able to do cardio while at rest. Squats, deadlifts, pullups, presses are all great exercises.

Eat Right - No sodas, no fried foods, no fast foods. Good rule of thumb is that if man made it, dont eat it.

This is exactly what I was thinking....of course cardio is important, Iím a huge fan, but resistance or weight training is amazingly helpful too.

When you are doing cardio you burn calories instantly and continuously throughout your cardio session, which is great however, when you weight or resistance train you not only burn calories while your lifting but you will consistently burn more calories throughout the day when not working out....Both are equally important.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:08 AM

23 posts, read 45,339 times
Remember Me ?

Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,095 times
eat lots of apples and grape fruits!veggies too

Old 10-08-2009, 10:51 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,292,338 times
Hang upside down twice a day on fool moons.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:47 PM

146 posts, read 305,367 times
Default weight loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamicaKhanisahelper View Post
eat lots of apples and grape fruits!veggies too
Somebody finally figured out the real secret of weigh loss. I'll add, throw away all the diet aids (crutches), count your calories for a while to get an idea of how many you are actually you eating. It's amazing how little food the body needs if it is the right stuff. You don't have live meatless either, just eat the correct amount. Forget about the fad diets that are on TV to no end.

I've know several people that went on some of those diets that guarantee tremendous weight loss and lost a huge amount of weight. Some of them a way more than a hundred pounds. The only problem was that when they were on the diet they ate the specified amount then when the diet ended they put it all back with a lot of interest because they didn't learn a single thing about how to eat properly. I think that particular diet was called the medaprin diet or something like that. That was a long time ago.

Another thing that I think contributes more than anything else to obesity in American is the eating patterns are totally backwards for most everyone. They eat little or no breakfast, then have a huge meal at night when the days work is done so those calories from that big meal can only end up fat.
Very few calories are burned watching television or even on a walk around the block. A llne I read somewhere in a novel said, "Eat breakfast like a king, dinner (noon) like a prince and supper like a pauper." Somebody in this book of course was giving someone advice on how to lose weight. I thought that was one of truest lines I ever read.

Don't forget to drink lots of water. More than 8 glasses a day if you are over weight.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:29 PM

3,025 posts, read 1,292,338 times
The real secret of weight loss is so easy and so well known that everyone passes it by in hopes of an easier secret...plus it doesn't sell books.

It is simply this: take in less calories than you expend.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:13 PM

11 posts, read 16,257 times
It fits into the spot reduction fallacy - don't follow it. A total body approach to fitness would serve you much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness