U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM

4,214 posts, read 12,144,014 times

Advertisements

I've had people tell me the way to lose belly flab (fat) is to do sit up's/crunches.

Now I know this strengthens your abs, but does it really burn the flab off the belly?

If not what are some good ways to burn off belly flab?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM

3,103 posts, read 2,995,320 times
Burn more calories than you consume. This will burn fat everywhere, not just belly fat. You really can't dictate where you lose fat from.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM

7,752 posts, read 9,635,766 times
Cardio, cardio or cardio. Also try cardio!!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:56 PM

146 posts, read 309,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
I've had people tell me the way to lose belly flab (fat) is to do sit up's/crunches.

Now I know this strengthens your abs, but does it really burn the flab off the belly?

This is a slow but sure way to lose weight and never get it back. I lost about 65 pounds this way along with some walking (if it was less than a mile to where I was going I never drove unless I was in a hurry) and drinking lots of water.
- At the start I could only do about 10 leg lifts and 10 sit-ups.
-I added about 5 a week until I got up to 50, morning and night.
-I never did the hands behind the head thing for the sit-ups. Put them any where you want to. I even used my elbows sometimes to help lift me when I added my 5. At the start there is a lot of belly to lift.
-Each time do them until your stomach and thigh muscles start to hurt but not until it's agony. Injury won't help the cause.
-My goal was to get to 50 of each. After while that's easy but I just stayed there most of time even though I could of done a lot more.
-You can do the 50 of each during a 5 minute commercial so it's not like it is time comsuming. It is more productive than watching the commercial, too.
-Always do the leg lifts first (seems to work better).
- I hardly changed my diet at all except maybe less of all the garbage that put all the weight on in the first place. Like fat, sugar and salt.
-I kept a water glass on the sink and the first thing in the morning drank 3 glasses of water and one glass after that whenever I went to the bathroom.
-It took a couple of years to go from 250 to 185. So forget about the 4 pounds a week thing. A couple a month would be closer, especially after you have lost a bunch of it. The first few come of pretty fast if you are very much overweight.
-The big challenge is to resist the urge to say, "I've lost 20 pounds so I can make a complete pig of myself. Of course doing this occasionally won't completely wreck your diet.
-This sounds like a lot of work but after while if you go to bed without doing your 50 of each you actually kind of miss them.
-It did help to have a little incentive of course lilke 1800 tryglycerides, 480 cholesteral and diabetes.
I got down to 185 ten years ago and that is what I still am. I guess it's about time to start again though (I haven't done them regularly for years) because I'm still about 20 ppunds overweight.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 PM

12,215 posts, read 11,092,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
This is a slow but sure way to lose weight and never get it back. I lost about 65 pounds this way along with some walking (if it was less than a mile to where I was going I never drove unless I was in a hurry) and drinking lots of water.
- At the start I could only do about 10 leg lifts and 10 sit-ups.
-I added about 5 a week until I got up to 50, morning and night.
-I never did the hands behind the head thing for the sit-ups. Put them any where you want to. I even used my elbows sometimes to help lift me when I added my 5. At the start there is a lot of belly to lift.
-Each time do them until your stomach and thigh muscles start to hurt but not until it's agony. Injury won't help the cause.
-My goal was to get to 50 of each. After while that's easy but I just stayed there most of time even though I could of done a lot more.
-You can do the 50 of each during a 5 minute commercial so it's not like it is time comsuming. It is more productive than watching the commercial, too.
-Always do the leg lifts first (seems to work better).
- I hardly changed my diet at all except maybe less of all the garbage that put all the weight on in the first place. Like fat, sugar and salt.
-I kept a water glass on the sink and the first thing in the morning drank 3 glasses of water and one glass after that whenever I went to the bathroom.
-It took a couple of years to go from 250 to 185. So forget about the 4 pounds a week thing. A couple a month would be closer, especially after you have lost a bunch of it. The first few come of pretty fast if you are very much overweight.
-The big challenge is to resist the urge to say, "I've lost 20 pounds so I can make a complete pig of myself. Of course doing this occasionally won't completely wreck your diet.
-This sounds like a lot of work but after while if you go to bed without doing your 50 of each you actually kind of miss them.
-It did help to have a little incentive of course lilke 1800 tryglycerides, 480 cholesteral and diabetes.
I got down to 185 ten years ago and that is what I still am. I guess it's about time to start again though (I haven't done them regularly for years) because I'm still about 20 ppunds overweight.
Good for you. I'm curious. How did you find out you had diabetes? Any warning signs?

Old 04-08-2009, 02:39 PM

110 posts, read 323,037 times
Deez Nuttz, sit ups and crunches are exercises, so they will do something (probably just as much as any similar intensity exercise done for just as long). However, the best evidence so far suggests that spot reduction does not work. Diet, high intensity interval training (HIIT), regular cardio, and weight training will likely do more and will make you healthier overall than just focusing on ab exercises.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:44 PM

18,316 posts, read 17,733,839 times
Quote:

NO NO NO. A thousand times no.

Crunches and situps are fine for buliding your abdominal muscles. (Planks are great too by the way...everyone should do these every day - excellent core strengthener.) But they won't burn a whole lot of calories unless you spend several hours a day at them - and I doubt you have the time to do that.

If you are trying to lose FAT, the most effective use of your time is to do high intensity cardio, as that will burn the most calories, and THAT is how you lost fat - expend more calories than you consume.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,329,653 times
Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat less, move more..

Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 PM

12,980 posts, read 18,981,532 times
Quote:
I suggest you forbid those people from ever giving advice on health/working out because they have no idea what they are talking about.

Interesting name btw, Im surprised the mods let you get away with it considering it relates to vulgarities pertaining to Snoop Doggy Dogg songs.

The only way to lose belly flab (and flab/fat everywhere else) is through a combination of clean diet and intense cardio. Walking on a tread mill for and hour a day will do nothing for it. You need high intensity cardio (HIIT or Fartleks) type training were you go all out for several seconds then slow to moderate pace for several seconds. Secondly, you must must must rein in your diet by no more empty carbs or sugars. This means, no more white breads, white rice, sodas, etc.

What has worked for me and many of the people I train (again, providing that you get your nutrition/diet in order) is to do cardio in the morning (run, jump rope, elliptical, heavy bag work) but it must be on an empty stomach to use your fat cells as energy and it must be rather intense (again, no walking) then later in the day, do weight training. This has proved to be quite successful for me.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:49 PM

6,986 posts, read 16,689,007 times
The crunches will tighten the abdominal muscles. That will help "hold" the internal organs in place better. Thus, making you look slimmer. Stand up straight and it will look even better.

Look at the thin women who slump when they stand. The belly pooches out a lot more than on a woman who weighs more but stands up straight. Get in the habit of sucking that gut in! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness