Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Personal Trainers: are they worth it?
Yes 8 28.57%
For beginners only or in some limited circumstances 18 64.29%
No 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:02 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times

Advertisements

I believe it takes hard work to find the rght trainer. From personal experience - both times put me into 6-months of P/T. I continue to exercise and while I may not be pushing it to the max - that's okay by me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 12:15 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
the one big problem I have is you talk to 4 trainers and you'll get 7 different answers to your questions. They all have their own ways. You could drive yourself crazy listening to all the advice you'll get.
Exactly. One trainer tells you morning cardio is good. Another tells you it's bad. One trainer tells you to do high reps with light weight to "tone" your muscles. Another says go heavy. It's bad enough that they don't agree, but too many are so convinced that they're right and every other trainer is wrong that they refuse to listen to you. It reminds me of the attitude a lot of doctors have. If you dare to challenge the advice your doctor gives you, he or she looks at you with that "I'm the doctor and you have to believe everything I tell you" attitude. When it comes to trainers and "experts" in any field, approach everything they say with a healthy dose of skepticism and don't be afraid to challenge their advice or tell them you think they're full of it. These people hold themselves up as experts. Make them prove it. After all, you're paying them a lot of money.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
Exactly. One trainer tells you morning cardio is good. Another tells you it's bad. One trainer tells you to do high reps with light weight to "tone" your muscles. Another says go heavy. It's bad enough that they don't agree, but too many are so convinced that they're right and every other trainer is wrong that they refuse to listen to you. It reminds me of the attitude a lot of doctors have. If you dare to challenge the advice your doctor gives you, he or she looks at you with that "I'm the doctor and you have to believe everything I tell you" attitude. When it comes to trainers and "experts" in any field, approach everything they say with a healthy dose of skepticism and don't be afraid to challenge their advice or tell them you think they're full of it. These people hold themselves up as experts. Make them prove it. After all, you're paying them a lot of money.
totally, its almost like theres no real basis in fact rather its just a matter of one's own opinion and experience. I'm currently having my weight routine ripped to pieces, but another trainer thinks its solid. So who do I believe? So far trainer A has offered nothing but criticism. So I guess I'm leaning towards trainer B.

I'd love a new challenge as I've hit a bit of an impasse in my training.

Just like talking to architects. LOL

Old 04-12-2009, 02:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
As in many professions, some are better than others. I think it helps to have a trainer if you are starting out...to set you up with a program or if you have something specific you are trying to do fitness wise. Other than that, I dont think they are a good value...its about educating yourself and self-discipline.

Old 04-13-2009, 06:35 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
One of the problems is that for as little as $49 and no prior experience you can get certified online as a personal trainer.
We have a guy that uses our gym to make a buck. I see him now and then with some unsuspecting newbies. He cracks me up because you can tell he probably watched a few episodes of the biggest loser and thinks hes an expert in weight loss. Hes about 50 lbs over weight himself and you can tell in how he talks that he doesn't believe in what hes selling. I had two women that he was training ask me in front of him if I wanted to train them...lol, they had to go an extra two minutes for that comment.
Yes some of them are worth it and know what they are talking about, if they have enough clients to specialize in a certain aspect of the field they are generally pretty good and also generally have degrees to boot. A good personality and a true love of the field goes a long way in keeping you motivated if your inclined to need that.
You get what you pay for much of the time.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:49 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
It's sad just how easily someone get certified. And so many trainers love to flaunt their certifications. The average person using a trainer doesn't know which certifications are credible and which are a joke. You walk into a gym, meet a trainer who has the alphabet soup after their name and you're supposed to be impressed?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:49 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
The question was, "Is it worth it"

In order to answer this, you need to bring cost into the equation.

I had my first meeting with a personal trainer this week, at Golds Gym. I was told it was "Free". I wondered how that works.. until after the first session, I'm handed a rate sheet.

$80/hour? haha.. nooooo way.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,738,525 times
In my experience, pretty much every personal trainer I had seemed to have one idea/gimmick of what worked, and they pushed that style of workout. The one guy was all about super-slow weight lifting, another was all about circuit-style training (doing cardio, weights, cardio weights, all very fast), etc. Not saying their techniques wouldn't work but I'd rather have someone that tailored advice more to my specific preferences and goals.

And, unless they are going to show me new exercises or something, I really don't need someone standing there trying to motivate me when I'm doing cardio or weight reps.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times
I have been in personal training business for over 20 years. Are they worth it?. I would say around 3 to 5 percentage are worth it. The rest are the rent a friend personal trainers. I would put clients in four categorize s beginner clients just wanting an exercise program, fat loss clients, athletes and seniors First question you should ask yourself . Why do want to hire a personal trainer ?. Most of clients say to get into shape. Basically , they are istating is fat loss. After founding out this information about them , I would briefly discuss with them some scientific principles of fat loss. I would discuss to them about the things they need to do in order for them to sucessful loss fat perform cardio training, strength training, nutritional logging, behavioral changes and goal setting. This takes lot more effort and commitment then just bring a client through a workout program for the trainer and client. This takes a total commitment! I would say 90 percent were not ready for it. The few who did committed to the program kept the weight off permanently. I design a program which dealt seriously with issues of obesity. I have witness people who lost 50 to 100 lbs. This was gratifying experience for me and clients appreciated it. Yes, their is so much of BS in this business. The majority of personal trainers in this business are rent a friend trainers no goals , motivation not even a basic program,. They do not even stretch their clients after workout. They are friend first and perosnal trainer second, they talk the whole training session. It is waste of time and money for the client! I am not to proud of it but I have been a rent a friend trainer once in my life. The last two clients are seniors and athletes . Seniors are great because they just want to have quality of life in later years. You know what their goal is. Athletes are great because they are internal motivate. They challenge you as personal trainer. Are they worth it ? No , 98 percent are not worth 50 to 80 dollars especially if you want to loss body fat. It takes special trainer deals with issues of fat loss in holistic way. You can buy the book body for life for one penny with shipping is 4.99 on Amazon. You will learn more about fitness nutrition and fat loss in one chapter in this book then some persona trainer who is charging 80.00. to 100.00 an hour. PS, watch out for the personal trainer who is great shape saying, I do this type of workout and nutritional plan to have my great looking physique . It is not theirspecial magical program which give them their bodies. Most likely they are gifted genetically and they live health lifestyle. Your fitness program should geared toward fitness level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness