U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM

7,482 posts, read 8,005,202 times
Default How Long Should Bulking/Cutting Phases Be?

I came across an idea that's been around for some time now called ABCDE which stands for Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise. Basically, it's alternating between bulking and cutting phases, but much more often people usually do. Given how easily the body adapts to any routine, the logic behind ABCDE makes sense. But I wonder how it is in practice and what results people have gotten. I know CD isn't a bodybuilders forum, but I figured some of the more experienced lifters here might've heard of it and even tried it. Just curious to hear your thoughts and what you think is the ideal duration for each phase. Personally, I like the idea of changing every 2 weeks. Keeps me from getting bored doing the same thing for too long. Plus, the idea of gaining a lot of fat during a bulking phase only have to burn it all off during cutting never sounded great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:41 PM

12,980 posts, read 17,728,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
How Long Should Bulking/Cutting Phases Be?
Me personally, I bulk and cut only about once per year. Always cut first then bulk right after that. After the bulk, I go on a maintenance nutrition plan and workout routine. My cutting phase is usually 3-4 weeks, sometimes longer if I need to get that last bit of fat off my abs. Bulking I do usually for about a month (longer if I have a specific goal in mind) but usually I stick to a month (4-5 weeks).

The reason I only do it twice per year is because I dont like to put my body into either extreme for too long. Cutting diet is about 1200 cals per day. Bulking, Im usually in the 3500-4500 zone. Because I dont really like taking supplements, I only take them when cutting. When Im bulking, Im usually on the creatine and I would never take that longer than 30 days.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:24 AM

12,980 posts, read 17,728,809 times
Bulking has always been the most difficult for me, not because of the workout routines (I enjoy my bulking workouts more than cutting workouts) but because of the constant eating I have to do. Its really very very hard work to eat 3500+ calories per day.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 AM

7,482 posts, read 8,005,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Bulking has always been the most difficult for me, not because of the workout routines (I enjoy my bulking workouts more than cutting workouts) but because of the constant eating I have to do. Its really very very hard work to eat 3500+ calories per day.
Eating a lot of calories per day isn't hard. After all, just grab some fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner, have some candy bars between meals and some soda and you'll easily pass 3500+ calories. But eating the right calories that favor muscle growth and minimize fat gain, that's REALLY hard. After a while, you get sick of eggs whites, grilled chicken, fish, and protein powder. You also just get tired of eating. Before I ever tried to bulk up, I thought the workouts would be the hardest part. And when I didn't gain muscle, I assumed I was a hardgainer. But now I realize the only reason I wasn't gaining was because I wasn't eating enough. Even when you think you're eating a lot, it's not enough. That was one reason I posed this question. After a few weeks of constant eating, you just want to cut back. It would be nice to be able to alternate between the two phases more often. I may try this approach and see what kind of results I get.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 AM

618 posts, read 2,138,717 times
I'm not sure what 2 weeks will get you. I'm no expert but I don't think that is a good strategy. You need time for your body to adapt to grow. You're putting your body into a growth phase or cutting phase, then stopping it in 2 weeks to change course. Doesn't add up to me. Just an opinion, certainly not expert advise.

Fwiw, I've been "bulking" for years. lol

Yeah, it is hard to constantly have to eat quality foods. When I do diet down, which is very rare, I sort of like it, because it gives me more free time from the eating. lol

Less costly too.

A good bulk should take 10-16 weeks. After that, I get way too sloppy and tend to get injured from the heavier weights being used. I almost have to stop from the intensity being too high and simply not sustainable. You can't increase weights forever, unless you get sloppy and may get injured. No matter how much you eat and rest, you have to stall at some point. Psychologically it gets to you as well. 12-16 weeks is more than enough, but judge for yourself from experience. Try it and gauge it from there. good luck.

Honestly, I tend to stop after I get some kind of injury after that length of time. It's bound to happen after that length of high weight lifting. Yes, it's lame, but that's pretty much how it goes for me. I should know when to stop.

Old 05-09-2009, 04:36 PM

201 posts, read 662,116 times
I just discussed something similar recently with the fitness director at my gym. He basically stated that by rotating 2 weeks low calorie diet and then 2 weeks higher calorie, it would produce some hormone activation. Mind you the low/high is still within my maintainence zones. Over the course of time my BF would go down and lean muscle would still go up....naturally with the right training cycles.

Typically I think 4 week training cycles work well as far as adaption but I, like the original poster need to change up often. 2 week cycles can and do work for me as well.

Old 05-03-2010, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 38,628 times
So, DennyCare, did you take up the challenge and do some 2 week cycles?
I would love to see/hear your results. I have been writing a blog about my experiences of using this program, and would love to hear from others who have been trying it out.

I was also highly interested to read NewJersey? saying that a good bulk should take 10-16 weeks and then go on to say why it wasnt great for him. Why would that make it a good bulk phase, if it doesnt work for him?

George
BulkUpFastDOTcom

Old 05-03-2010, 08:17 PM

739 posts, read 1,298,227 times
i don't understand that cutting and stuff i don't do any of that. But I am also a runner

Old 05-04-2010, 12:38 AM

1,823 posts, read 995,998 times
Quick cuttings .. lift light and increase the reps or sets .. to bulk, heavy weights and power sets .. the phase like many stated should be 2 - 3 weeks approximately .. low carb diet to stay lean and protein derived off Soy, Fish and whey to bulk ..chicken/beef salads to balance the diet .

Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM

8,424 posts, read 23,359,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I came across an idea that's been around for some time now called ABCDE which stands for Anabolic Burst Cycling of Diet and Exercise. Basically, it's alternating between bulking and cutting phases, but much more often people usually do. Given how easily the body adapts to any routine, the logic behind ABCDE makes sense. But I wonder how it is in practice and what results people have gotten. I know CD isn't a bodybuilders forum, but I figured some of the more experienced lifters here might've heard of it and even tried it. Just curious to hear your thoughts and what you think is the ideal duration for each phase. Personally, I like the idea of changing every 2 weeks. Keeps me from getting bored doing the same thing for too long. Plus, the idea of gaining a lot of fat during a bulking phase only have to burn it all off during cutting never sounded great.
I think it depends on your body fat and personal body. I was reading on muscle memory and I think (i could be wrong) I read that it takes 6-8 weeks for the muscles to "forget" what they got used to. But that was after a full on training session(normal) if I am remembering it.

I don't know where you protein levels are at but if you have room increasing you cals with protein seems to keep the fat gain away for me. I usually use meat (no focus on the lean % meat) but I have done it with slimfast optima shakes too.

I think my body works best with short term cuts (2-4weeks) and longer term strength training. I am coming back from being totally out of shape though and lost quite a few so I could be the result of a slower dieters metabolism. I really don't think that easy gain chills out until keeping it off for years.

Right now I don't really count cals exactly but eat proper portions. It just seems I have to back off bad food a week or two to stay in my 10 lb window.

During my loss period my body did not notice cuts at all that were 2 weeks or less. No matter what I did it just was like..yeh those extra fat cells are gone..next...

But if I stayed on a reduction plan for over a month or two I would have to wean up my cals. Especially if I took it below my BMR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness