Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,450 times

Advertisements

Well I've been buying EAS Whey Protein powder from Sam's club and taking up to 30 grams 4x's a day (120g daily max) and was wondering if that's too high since the recomended amount on package is to take UP TO 75 grams a day. I weight train and road cycle and feel I definately need protein supplements since my diet is not high in it, I'm naturally thin and have trouble putting on muscle, and I'm now in my 40's which makes everything that much harder. I am concerned about too much protein buildup in the kidneys which can lead to kidney stones and also gout but I try to drink a lot of water after taking it. Also I've heard that whey protein leaves the body quicker as compared to Soy protein but gave up Soy after reading that it boosts estrogen levels and as a man do not want that. One last thing, is all protein the same? I mean if I eat a can of tuna with 30 grams of protein vs taking 30 grams of Whey protein powder is there a difference as far as building strength + muscle.? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:47 PM

201 posts, read 964,118 times
30 gms is 30 gms. It's always better to get your protein from whole foods if you can. But....it depends on what you need to do with your protein. For example; a pre workout and post workout protein shake may be better as it digests and absorbs quicker than whole food, thus faster muscle recovery.

As far as gms per body weight: From research it's suggested to take around .8 to 1.0 gms of protein per lb of body weight. More importantly you need carbs and lot's of them, taken with your protein. It's actually the carbs more so that will help with putting on muscle. Look for a protein that's higher in carb content than protein per serving. I use Cytogainer. And don't forget about fat, good fat that is. Olive oil, almonds, peanuts, lowfat milk, etc. Good fat actually helps boost testosterone in men which equals more lean muscle mass.

The other thing you may need to look at is the amount of cardio your doing. Tough to put on muscle if you're burning a lot of calories. You may need to back off a bit on the cardio. A nice mix may be to do circuit training. You can go either heavy load/less reps or lower load/higher volume but in a circuit you'll still burn calories.

How many meals are you eating in a day? Should be approx 5-6 equal meals of carb/protein/fat.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:58 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,241 times
You could always try egg or hemp powder too, though they may be a bit tougher to find.

Most kidney stones are formed by eating too many high-oxalate foods (peanuts, chocolate, beer, spinach), not enough water, and deficiency of manganese and magnesium (needed to bind excess calcium for excretion). Just watch your intake of those foods.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post
30 gms is 30 gms. It's always better to get your protein from whole foods if you can. But....it depends on what you need to do with your protein. For example; a pre workout and post workout protein shake may be better as it digests and absorbs quicker than whole food, thus faster muscle recovery.

As far as gms per body weight: From research it's suggested to take around .8 to 1.0 gms of protein per lb of body weight. More importantly you need carbs and lot's of them, taken with your protein. It's actually the carbs more so that will help with putting on muscle. Look for a protein that's higher in carb content than protein per serving. I use Cytogainer. And don't forget about fat, good fat that is. Olive oil, almonds, peanuts, lowfat milk, etc. Good fat actually helps boost testosterone in men which equals more lean muscle mass.

The other thing you may need to look at is the amount of cardio your doing. Tough to put on muscle if you're burning a lot of calories. You may need to back off a bit on the cardio. A nice mix may be to do circuit training. You can go either heavy load/less reps or lower load/higher volume but in a circuit you'll still burn calories.

How many meals are you eating in a day? Should be approx 5-6 equal meals of carb/protein/fat.

Well I belong to Sam's Club and just seen they have Myoplex 17oz drinks that has 42g's protein, unspecified amount of carbs, vitamins, minerals, etc and they also have Muscle Milk drinks. Is it better to take both carbs + protein pre-workout and just protein afterwards when weight training?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:14 PM

A) Always know exacly what goes into your body
b) You need carbs + protein for ALL meals. Not just pre and post.
C) 42 gms per serving may be a bit too much but depends on the person. For me that would get me bloated and gassy. Your body can only absorb so much at one time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod View Post
Well I belong to Sam's Club and just seen they have Myoplex 17oz drinks that has 42g's protein, unspecified amount of carbs, vitamins, minerals, etc and they also have Muscle Milk drinks. Is it better to take both carbs + protein pre-workout and just protein afterwards when weight training?

Old 05-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl127 View Post

I'm going to see if sams cub has cytogainer and maybe try that. With 56g's protein per serving and 600 calories I might even try half or 3/4 serving pre + post workouts.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Sounds good. I usually do 2.5 scoops pre/post. Good luck and keep us posted.

Quote:
I'm going to see if sams cub has cytogainer and maybe try that. With 56g's protein per serving and 600 calories I might even try half or 3/4 serving pre + post workouts.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Well I've been buying EAS Whey Protein powder from Sam's club and taking up to 30 grams 4x's a day (120g daily max) and was wondering if that's too high since the recomended amount on package is to take UP TO 75 grams a day.
I thought for sure I replied to this thread yesterday but my post is gone. Anyway, what the hell are you doing taking 120g per day, when it says recommended dosage is 75g? That is NOT safe. Of course its too high. Eat more to get the extra protein you require. Dont get it all from a shake, its tough on your kidneys and liver.

You want to gain weight, eat more. Eat a lot more.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:29 AM

45 posts, read 170,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I thought for sure I replied to this thread yesterday but my post is gone. Anyway, what the hell are you doing taking 120g per day, when it says recommended dosage is 75g? That is NOT safe. Of course its too high. Eat more to get the extra protein you require. Dont get it all from a shake, its tough on your kidneys and liver.

You want to gain weight, eat more. Eat a lot more.
More protien is not bad, it depends on your bodyweight, however I agree with DaBeez, you should not be getting more than about 10-20% of your daily protien intake from shakes. Whole food will serve you better and will actually put mass on you faster than shakes.

Shakes are designed so that you can have one and then be ready to eat a short time later.

Dont over do it with the shakes,
IRBS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness